Offseason Blue Print

Discussion in 'Arizona Diamondbacks' started by overseascardfan, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Dback Jon

Dback Jon Killer Snail Contributor

Greinke got tired towards the end of the year. Last 3 real starts were bad. Dbacks need a better bullpen, and TL needs to not grind his starters down.

2. BC867

BC867 Long time Phoenician! Contributor

How true. In today's MLB world, every starting pitcher needs to be treated based upon his capabilities.

Announcing that he wants 21 outs from all starters all games might be described as lazy management.

I wonder where his pitching coach stood on this and if Torey delegates authority.

3. Ronin

Ronin Mad scientist behind the keyboard Contributor

4. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

Ronin likes this.
  5. Dback Jon

Dback Jon Killer Snail Contributor

Looks like we will be seeing him 9 games a year at Chase Field, where puke blue

6. WildBB

WildBB BB - BIG BIRD

Martinez couldn't have picked a worse agent if he wanted to stay. Boras says differently.

Maybe if there is a taker for Tomas?

7. BC867

BC867 Long time Phoenician! Contributor

Or Greinke?

8. Matt L

Matt L formerly known as mattyboy

My money would be on the Giants if he stays in the West. The Red Sox however could be in on paying him a ridiculous amount to play left field.

9. DWKB

DWKB Registered

An AL team has the ability to offer more years because they can slide him to DH when he defense becomes a hinderance to his value as a player at the end of his contract.

As an NL team, I wouldn't go past 3 years.

10. DWKB

DWKB Registered

I think it's worth pointing out that with CHC in 2016 and HOU in 2017, this is the second year a complete rebuild team has won the WS.

Fans here (along with the FOs and ownership) have fought this strategy for over 10 years preferring to remain middling with the occasional playoff blip.

I called for a complete rebuild this past off-season and got ripped this season for such thoughts, but I still wonder what more we can expect from the team as constructed above the 2017 NLDS sweep.

Ronin likes this.
  11. overseascardfan

overseascardfan Registered User

Looking at potential trade candidates, I would throw in a large chunk of Greinke's deal to facilitate a trade and get impact prospects back. If you think about it, if ARZ does nothing they are going to have to pay Greinke's salary when he starts to decline. If they include say $30 - $40M of his salary, then they in essence would be getting out of paying long term money and buy top prospects with that money they are kicking in so really the money they would include in a deal can be viewed as buying a better farm. DET's acquired its now #1 prospect Franklin Gutierrez, #5 Daz Cameron & #7 Jake Rogers for including $10M of Verlander's $56M still owed.

Moving Greinke's deal alone would take some financial pressure off ARZ (it won't allow them to re-sign Martinez after settling arbitration cases) but maybe help sign a decent replacement for Rodney & Ianetta.