New Star Wars MMORPG

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Zeno, Dec 30, 2009.

1. dogpoo32

dogpoo32 meh

I'm going to keep playing WOW until Final Fantasy 14 comes out. I've been very disappointed by every MMO since WOW, but hopefully 14 delivers. 11 was fun.

2. Cardinals.Ken

Cardinals.Ken That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!

The "hard" rumor is now a December 2011 release...personally, I'd figure on something more like Spring 2012.

They are really aiming high on this, and they're pumping loads of cash into it's development. I hope they don't release it broken, or unfinished (a la Star Wars: Galaxies), to capitalize sooner on that investment.

3. Zeno

Zeno Ancient

They have comic books and novels trying to build the back story for this game. I understand they don't want to rush the game but with each new online video they release the more anxious I am to play it.

4. PortlandCardFan

PortlandCardFan Registered User

Will be playing a Republic Trooper to start out... Can't wait!!!

5. Zeno

Zeno Ancient

Interesting choice, I am thinking Bounty Hunter or Smuggler...then of course I have to have a Sith or Jedi as a secondary character.

This is a pretty cool new trailer, it is a week or so old....
    http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/return

6. coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan Fool In The Rain Contributor

7. PortlandCardFan

Yeah, I'll have to do the Jedi as a secondary character as well. I love the Han Solo type character but it just isn't my playing style.

8. Zeno

Zeno Ancient

The game is available for pre-order now. I ordered the collectors edition...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2388872,00.asp

9. ArizonaSportsFan

ArizonaSportsFan Registered User

I ordered the DDE last night. See you guys in the early access. We should report back here server/faction/etc when we know more...

Playing Rift now until release date.

10. Treefiddy

Treefiddy Richard Cranium

They're still trying for December and EA has even done some promising to the public about "this year", but I don't quite think it's ready yet.

The game is extremely fun so far, but there are entire zones which still need to be polished/fixed. I still have slight control issues and UI lag with my character as well.

BTW, Space Combat looks infinitely more fun in their trailer videos than it actually is. The first mission I did was killing other fighters. It was essentially this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hCXNXGvYfVk#t=48s

I've played two classes, Jedi Consular and Republic Trooper. So far the Trooper has been much more interesting and entertaining. The dialog options are better as well when you have a war hardened A Hole vs a Jedi.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  11. coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan Fool In The Rain Contributor

Releases Dec. 20th. I dont like MMOs at all, but the fact that this is 1. Bioware and 2. Star Wars means I'll likely give it a try.

http://m.ign.com/articles/1196432

12. Zeno

Zeno Ancient

Beta testing this weekend, supposedly this is the largest beta test to date, testing how well the servers handle high traffic.

I have been chosen as a beta tester, it is downloading now....I'll let you guys know how it is after I've spent what is sure to be many hours on it this weekend.

13. PortlandCardFan

I was chosen as a tester as well. Unfortunately my HDD took a dump and I have to get a new one!!!

14. Cardinals.Ken

Cardinals.Ken That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!

I couldn't believe how large the download was for this (27GB!). It took me a few days to complete it.

I've only spent a couple of hours playing two different characters so far; a Sith Warrior, and Bounty Hunter.

I'm impressed with how polished the game is at this stage, at least with the 5th level, or lower, content.

The one complaint I have at this point is that it feels like a Star Wars mod for WoW. The questing is a great deal more detailed, but the gameplay seems like a direct clone.

15. Treefiddy

Treefiddy Richard Cranium

So far the biggest drawback to the game is the repeated quests. The class stories are good enough that some people will want to play through all (or most) of them. The problem is, the 4th time (even the 2nd time) on some of the same quests is mind numbing.

I've been in the beta for a while now and so far my character has been wiped and started over so many times that I can't even bring myself to play it anymore.