New look and software for ASFN coming soon!

Discussion in 'Announcements and Support' started by Shaggy, Apr 10, 2016.

1. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

I think it's what you're talking about. If you click on a poster's name one of the options is "start a conversation". You can then invite that person and others into a private thread with what appears to be all the features of a normal thread. I could see using it like a Chat Room when things are popping in Cards land or when the Suns return from the dead. It's much more effective than the private messaging we had on the other software.

We could start a conversation every Sunday for the Game Day thread inviting only the posters that have asked for access. That way people wouldn't have to worry about violating the language restrictions in the heat of the moment. I'm not sure how the language filters work when you're in a private conversation but I would assume they're turned off.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  2. BigRedRage

BigRedRage badass Contributor

its very difficult to choose a pg-13 word when typing :)

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Site Owner Administrator Staff Member

No avoiding it and if you did the private convos, it would kill the forum if that all people did as there would be no content to view of others.

Try not to do that. Keep it in the cards game threads. :)

4. MrYeahbut

MrYeahbut rilly bruh, rilly?? Contributor

Steven,

The private thread option works on a forum I've used from time to time. It's a Spanish/English mix that gets trolled frequently and if someone from, say Argentina, wants to converse with you privately because they genuinely want help with their English, they invite you to private 'room'. You can accept or decline as you see fit. In that environment it's great because you're talking one on one with someone from anywhere in the world and you help each other with language skills. I had great conversations with a young man, I assume, from Costa Rica who works on a cruise ship who wanted to better understand American slang. It was great fun trying to translate our slang to someone obviously many years younger than me...in Spanish no less. He loved that I turned him on to Urban Dictionary. Try explaining all the nuances of 'turn you on' to someone in any language! Ha!

Anyhoo, I suppose you could do that with members here on game day, but I agree with Shaggy that it would be detrimental to the overall board health. Besides that, I'd be the only one in the game thread because I know nothing about football and everyone else would be in private rooms.......

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  5. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

Yeah, I hadn't really thought it through. Mostly I forgot about the lurkers. It would have been easy enough to start a thread and a conversation several days before game time. In the thread you ask anyone interested in the convo to add their name so they could be invited into the conversation. That way, for members, it would be very inclusive. But visitors and lurkers would be shut out. So, no go.

I just think there are times when your fingers really want to shout out every 4 letter word they can think of. I rarely swear, pretty much got that out of my system in the Army 40 years ago. But game time is the big exception for me and it looked like a "private" yet forum-wide conversation might have been a nice way around the usual language restrictions.

6. oaken1

oaken1 Stone Cold

I am still up for trying it out to some extent...as one who is psychologically prone to extreme language a place with fewer restrictions would be safer to discuss the game.

7. Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski Formerly Chandler Mike Contributor

Awesome job guys, I come back after two years and just had to reset my password, super seamless!