New look and software for ASFN coming soon!

Discussion in 'Announcements and Support' started by Shaggy, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Site Owner Administrator Staff Member

The forum will be going through some major updates soon. ASFN is ran on software called vBulletin as most of you know. The version is almost 10 years old and hasn't been updated from vBulletin for almost 5 years. So we have decided to not update to the newest version of vBulletin(which is still filled with bugs and errors), rather move to a new forum software called XenForo - www.xenforo.com. A lot of vB owners are moving to XF because what is happening with vB as a company and what they are doing to their newer version. I have moved about 5 of my other vB forums to XF and it has gone over well with the members.

With the new software will come a new look for the site. So this boring, white style will be gone with a new modern look.

I will let you all know when this change is going to be taking place so just keep an eye on this thread as I will keep you updated with the changes here.

2. Shaggy

Figured I move this here as it wasn't getting much attention in the Announcement forum.

3. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

I'm looking forward to the changes if it improves the site.

4. 82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad 7 x 70

:thumbup:

5. SO91

SO91 Registered

If you're taking requests or suggestions: I'd like a night-time mode. I prefer darker themes most of the time,whether I'm on my browser or phone. Thanks.

6. Bodha

Bodha Registered

the what forum? Kidding

although.....on a legit suggestion, itd be a good idea to let more topics in the main 'cardinals' section.

Youll notice even though the page holds something like 80 threads, only the top 15 or so are 1 or 2 days fresh with activity. That means the majority of the page is filled with dead threads.

Those dead threads could be live threads if we could talk about other stuff. Its still a cardinals forum regardless. its just Cardinals fans talking about a ASU game. or Barrett Jackson. Or traffic, or W/E

7. Covert Rain

Covert Rain Father smelt of elderberries!

Sweet Shaggy. Looking forward to the upgrade. By the way, you made a good choice. I tried switching a forum to the newest version of vBulletin and it was a disaster. Not familiar with XenForo but it can't be any worse.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  8. Shaggy

I totally understand but the little OCD I have would be screaming NOOOOOOOO.

9. jw7

jw7 Woof! Contributor

We can always change styles. We have about 20 of them.

10. Linderbee

Linderbee Let's GO, CARDINALS! Contributor

I thought the bulk of them vanished when the site was bought; if not, how do I get to them? There are only 2 options at the bottom: ASFN New Skin and Mobile Skin.

11. jw7

jw7 Woof! Contributor

OK, yeah, I see. Right now most of the styles are not flagged as user selectable.

I know how to fix it, but I just need to check with Shaggy/Iceman that this was not intentional.

12. MrYeahbut

MrYeahbut rilly bruh, rilly?? Contributor

I've noticed that when I post a picture from the mobile platform, it posts them sideways. Didn't do that until about a month ago. I've seen pics by others that are sideways also. Even if I rotate it and save and try to post again, it does the same thing. Doesn't seem to do it from my PC.

13. DemsMyBoys

DemsMyBoys Registered

Hopefully the change will allow me to log off ASFN when using my tablet. As it stands I hit "log off".... and it doesn't. (Using Chrome if that makes a difference.)

14. Covert Rain

Covert Rain Father smelt of elderberries!

Hey Shaggy, you mind if I pick your brain? Is there a particular reason you guys went with XenForo verses some of the others? Was there a particular feature that made you pick it? I have to make a similar decision soon and as I stated I am not familiar with XenForo. Send me an IM that works better. Appreciate it.

15. Shaggy

Vbulletin is completely bug ridden in the newer version, 5.x. I'm not a big fan of invision power board(IPB). The creators of XenForo were the 3 main developers at vbulletin before vbulletin was sold to Internet brands. They left a few months later and the vbulletin software never recovered.

I was hesitant to move to xf but did with one forum and it's just overall better. Loads faster, more features, better support and so on. That's why I chose xf.

What are you working on?