Miller once again does it again!

Discussion in 'University of Arizona' started by Lefty, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

jackson is actually interesting if you read the stories on christian Dawkins the agent. Jackson was being "run" by Dawkins for awhile, at a certain point his mom, Apple Jones, got involved in the recruitment and took over, she moved him to a new AAU team founded for her to coach. Moved him to Prolific Prep. All that was done to get him away from Dawkins and others who were trying to funnel her son down a path she didn't like. At the time it came out it seemed like yet another example of a kid being given terrible parenting so the mom could steer her son overseas, it turns out his mom probably saved his college eligibility by doing that.

The good news for ARizona is the more you read about Dawkins the more clear it becomes much of what he says is not true several people are comparing him to DiCaprio's character in Catch Me if You can. The guy is 25 years old, he was 20 when he started "handling" Jackson. He was telling people he was an agent and had multiple players when he was actually a runner getting players for Andy Miller. He bluffed his way up the ladder very fast then got fired, and then tried to go solo and run his own agency and that's when he hooked with with that Blazer guy right around the time the FBI started flipping him.

So while it's clear Dawkins did have money and was paying coaches and trying to steer players, it actually is possible that these bidding wars over players may have been created by Dawkins as part of his attempt to build his brand. Convince both sides the other side is bidding big money and several people like Gatto with Adidas believed him and approved a bid. It sounds like the Bowen one really happened although nobody knows if his family got the money, the Little one is harder to tie down everyone involved is denying it happened beyond just Dawkins telling both sides the other side was bidding.

2. Russ Smith

The thing is the players aren't charged with anything, the only federal crime they could be involved in would be tax evasion if they got money and don't report it and there's nothing in the FBI story that says they've involved the IRS.

If the FBI gives the names to the NCAA those players will then have to prove to the NCAA they're eligible, that's how the system works, that's how it has always worked, suspend player make him prove he's eligible. The only unknown here is does the NCAA have those names yet, and none of us know that answer.

3. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

So the FBI knows who Player and Coach 1-2-3-4-5-6-7 etc are?

4. Russ Smith

yes, they keep the names confidential in the report but the FBI knows who all those people are they've made that clear that's why they've been arresting coaches.

They're not arresting players because they're not really breaking federal law by taking money, unless again the IRS gets involved.

We don't know if the NCAA knows who the players are but the FBI does, they have hours and hours of wire taps and under cover information on the case.

They want more people, presumably the way to get that is flip the coaches, the agents and the money guys. I suppose they could get a player to flip and talk about all the people who offered him money but it seems pretty clear that's not the route they're going, not a single player has said they've been interviewed by the FBI. Jawun Evans is in the nBA now he just yesterday confirmed he's not been contacted, he's the player Lamont Evans paid at Ok State.

Larry Scott said at media day the players are not supposed to play until they're cleared by the NCAA, but he wouldn't answer the question if they knew who the players were.

It's a very crazy season right now, nobody has any idea what's going on.,

5. GatorAZ

Great so the conversations listed in the report with Book is only about 1% of the evidence they have. He must be on record specifically stating a lot info that isn't public; which current players he allegedly paid, how much $ they got, when it happened etc... You have to ask what Book's end game was? Take money from this agency, keep it and hope they never find out it's not going to players? That's hard for me to buy.

6. Russ Smith

People keep reporting that there are thousands of subpoenas and stuff out there but according to the ex federal prosecutor guy who posts on BRO that's highly misleading. Lots of them are for wire taps and permissions to record conversations and to banks and financial institutions as they try to track money. That is there's not thousands of potential witnesses, there is just a ton of info that they have to do the appropriate documentation on. The case certainly could get much bigger, if the list goes to say 30 schools, but that would just expand the list of coaches, most of these guys are dealing with the same shoe company folks, same agents etc.

When the FBI raided Nike EYBL and ASM one of the people they were asking about, I'm blanking on the name is a guy who owns a company based in arizona that runs all star games and stuff for Nike, . The guy is not from Arizona and didn't attend Arizona but he currently lives in arizona so that seems to be a coincidence, that is it doesn't appear where he lives is connected to Arizona the school. But he's been raided by the FBI too there are multiple stories that claim that.

I really don't think Arizona is going to get major sanctions unless it somehow comes out Miller was involved and I doubt he was. Head coaches make way too much money to take those risks, I fully believe head coaches know this stuff goes on, they're all control freaks, but I don't think they're directly involved by design.

The big risk for UA IMO has always been players getting suspended.

7. GatorAZ

Depends on what Book tells them. They used the terms "victim" which I realize is more of a label than conclusion but we have no idea what the coaches in custody are saying. I'm guessing since Book had been with Miller for 10+ years he may be more loyal than Bland etc...

8. carey

carey VVVV Saints Fan VVVV

9. GatorAZ

10. Russ Smith

Williams and O'Neal announce they are still committed to Arizona but will not sign in the early signing period so they can see what happens with the FBI case.

Maybe UCLA can steal Williams. See what I did there, UCLA, Steal.

11. GatorAZ

Smart on their part to make sure nothing happens to Miller. It's not like Arizona will be completely cleared in the upcoming months though. Look how late Bagley decided so they could wait thru next summer.

12. GatorAZ

13. Russ Smith

If I had to guess I'm assuming he got some sort of guarantee that if he changes his mind due to the FBI stuff, Arizona will let him out.

I can understand why the kid would want to stay committed, he grew up a UA fan, but I'm frankly surprised any of these elite kids are signing anything, just wait.

14. GatorAZ

Kids have gotten out due to scandals before. If the program gets hammered I'm sure he could choose somewhere else to play. It's a good look to have a guy sign for the optics though.

Maybe Miller knows something we don't yet. I remember hearing Roy Williams telling Nassir Little that nothing major was going to happen with the academic scandal penalties and he was right.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2017/10/09/...concerned-potential-ncaa-sanctions-tar-heels/

15. Russ Smith

FWIW, Gershon says he's not signing an NLI, he's signing grant in aid papers which binds Arizona to give him a scholarship, but does NOT bind Williams to Arizona. Which is precisely what all these kids should sign in the first place not NLI's.

So he is in fact guaranteed he can get out and go somewhere else, which makes perfect sense.