Miller once again does it again!

Discussion in 'University of Arizona' started by Lefty, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

I guess we'll see, sometimes kids just don't like their commitments being announced before they can do it themselves but maybe Rothstein really is wrong.

Barrett is interesting his shot is weird and he's not a very good outside shooter but man does he have a knack for scoring anyways. Bigtime recruit but like people did with Lonzo you have to wonder is he going to be able to do it at the next level if he doesn't fix that shot?

2. Russ Smith

I should add after watching some tape of the Canada win over team USA, he's a perfect Duke player. He's got a bunch of James Harden to his game and I don't mean because he's a lefty I mean all the flopping on shots to draw fouls, he must have drawn 4 shooting fouls at least in that game on blatant flops, one of them a 3 pointer. can't recall the last HS player I saw who did so much of that but I can almost bet Harden is his favorite player

3. Russ Smith

If I were a UA fan I'd be pretty teed off right about now. Duke announced today that the NCAA has fully cleared Bagley to play this year and so Duke will open the season preseason #1 with a roster that starts both Trevon Duval and Marvin Bagley, 2 kids that virtually nobody expected to qualify, and Bagley did it a full year early.

Duval went to the same school as Ferguson, his dad said they were concerned about the academics there so he was doing online classes instead but Ferguson's handlers said the same thing. he wound up in Australia, and somehow Duval qualifies at academically elite Duke?

Matt Norlander on CBS wrote a story where he talks about Duke haters having lots to complain about now but in the story he openly states there are lots of people wondering right now how in the world Bagley qualified, let alone ayear early. 2 months ago he wrote a story detailing what it would take for Bagley to qualify and he said the obvious hurdle is he needs to get so many credits and core classes in such a short time. Remember Jan 2016 the nCAA announced a new rule that made it much tougher to do that, they openly stated the intent of the rule was to stop the abuse of the system where athletes were cramming in tons of core classes after their junior years of HS so they could qualify.

So here we go a year later and the top recruit in the entire country crams in an entire year of core classes and credits, online, in one summer, all while still playing in the EYBL, and Norlander wonders why people might question it?

So they get 2 guys and you couldn't get Ferguson, and now they will be #1 the start of this season instead of Arizona.

I really hope you guys play Duke at some point this year would be great to see Bags and Ayton go head to head.

4. overseascardfan

overseascardfan Registered User

$$$ talks and this is Duke we are talking about. NCAA was not going to disqualify the most hyped HS player since LeBron especially since he is going to one of the crown jewels of college basketball. Ferguson wasn't as highly rated as Bagley or Duval so that't that.

5. Russ Smith

I'm curious if in the end Ferguson just didn't want to bother waiting and left, or if he really knew he wasn't qualifying? He went to the same HS Duval did, twice, they were reportedly doing the same online classes because of the problems at Prime Prep and the school after that.

One ACC coach per Norlander said the fact that Bagley qualified was "incredible, but not at all surprising", clearly there are some people out there wondering how a school that is allegedly difficult to get into keeps getting kids like Duval and Bagley accepted through admissions.

6. overseascardfan

I'm sure Coach K knew they would get in otherwise he wouldn't have went through the trouble of recruiting them. Again, just can't stand Coach K. He's a great coach but a hypocrite, constantly bashing the one and done rule but has no problem with them going to Duke. If he feels so strongly, send a message by not recruiting those type of kids.

7. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Very few elite academic universities actually live up to those standards for their student athletes at the football and basketball levels. And even if their athletes are better than the average athlete at other schools they are, on average, subpar to the rest of their respective schools' academic profiles. Just the way of the world.

8. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

I can't say too much considering Ayton is good to go with a lot less "sweating" than most expected. He didn't reclassify so it was less complicated but many thought he'd never play a game in college and bluebloods like Kentucky and Duke didn't really recruit him because of it. A lot of time in recruiting you get lucky. Ayton had an eligibility stigma plus his mom wanted him close so Arizona was in prime position to sign him.

The best thing Coach K did was bring in Jeff Capel who's a monster on the recruiting trail. Duke is now a OAD factory like Kentucky. Even in the years after the rule their teams were 3-4 year guys like Kyle Singler, Jon Sheyer, Nolan Smith, Ryan Kelly, Seth Curry and the Plumlee's. Capel came in and Kyrie was the first guy followed by Austin Rivers then Jabari Parker, Okafor, Winslow, Ingram, Tatum, Giles etc...

Give K credit for adapting. Team USA coach didn't hurt either.

9. Russ Smith

Oh that's true everywhere, UCLA, even Stanford.

What I'm talking about is the double standard in the media. To be fair Norlander did do a 2nd story where he pointed out many people are skeptical of how Bagley qualified,but in that article he called those people Duke haters implying it's jealousy. Again his own employers 18 months ago were speculating Bagley(and Ayton) would never qualify for D1 and they mean 18 for Bagley not 17.

Either their information then was wrong, or it's incredibly easy for athletes to get credits these days and I frankly think it's the latter.

That's the system I don't blame Bagley or Duval for abusing it but I do blame the media for not being honest and I blame the NCAA. in jan 2016 they passed a new rule specifically aimed at stopping this sort of abuse of online education to rack up credits and core classes late in the game. They estimated 8% of the incoming freshman basketball players that year were going to be impacted by that rule. And 18 months later Bagley does it and nobody bats an eye?

He literally completed his senior year of HS, online, in 2 months, all the while competing in the EYBL which meant he was on the road Fri-Mon virtually every week. I assume it's possible, child actors do it,but I kind of doubt Bagley had a team of teachers and tutors following him around like actors do.

It is the system in place I get that I just don't want to hear all year again from ESPN et al what a great academic institution Duke is, they have gone to essentially the same path Calipari has and yet there's still this perception in the national media that calipari is bad for the game and Coach K is good.

10. Russ Smith

Capel clearly a big part but yeah what jumpstarted their recruiting was Team USA and Duke making a fundamental decision that winning games was so important they were going to commpletely change their academic standards for basketball to compete.

11. Russ Smith

Naz Reid to LSU. no word on if he's still thinking about reclassifying. with Bagley pulling it off I don't see why not, he could probably graduate by Friday if he started today (-:

The rumor is his family is in a bad neighborhood in NJ and he really wants to get to the NBA a year earlier so he can move his family. My guess is it's too late for him now unless he's been doing the extra work for a month or two already.

I guess that explains why Moses Brown says Arizona visited him the other day at his school and is wanting back in his recruitment, they realized they weren't getting Reid and still want another big. Sounds like the kid wants to go to Louisville but is a little nervous about their current issues and rumors this is Pitino's last year.

12. overseascardfan

I thought I read Maryland had a good shot at Moses Brown as well. I guess it's Bol or bust for UA, is there another big on UA's radar? Jordan Brown?

13. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

Bol is visiting UK but Gershwin says AZ still the heavy favorite. The Reid stuff was fun for about a week.

14. Russ Smith

Maryland because he's an Under Armour kid and they are apparently one of the leaders. His dads comment about UA was interesting, he openly admitted they'd been hot and cold on Moses but then seemed to have been impressed they came to visit, like he didn't really mind being a fallback to Reid. That made me assume he's not really all that high on Maryland.

We're told on BRO that Bol is all but a lock to UA, if he's taking other visits it's probably just for show.

The other rumor that persists on BRO is that Brandon Williams is going to decommit but nobody has any source on that it's just he won't want to play with Quinerly and Barcello.

UA isn't on the final 7 for Jordan Brown but given the list it wouldn't surprise me if it changed if his recruitment heats up again. I think he'd like to add bigger name schools if he could.