Miller once again does it again!

Discussion in 'University of Arizona' started by Lefty, Sep 13, 2012.

1. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

I doubt there's any major issues otherwise Miller wouldn't be gushing about his ability publicly. By all accounts he's been dominant in practice and Miller said we'll probably never see anything like him again. That's coming from a very reserved head coach.

PJC, Barcello
    Trier, Randolph
    Alkins, Akot
    Ayton, Lee (who's also getting great reports)
    Ristic, Ayton

Comanche and Simmons probably made a good choice when you think about it.

2. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

I fully expect him to clear but remember this time last year everyone was saying the staff fully expected Ferguson to clear too. The difference is his issue was academics and with Ayton that doesn't seem to be the issue.

The big knock on Ayton in the past has been he doesn't always play hard, that's where playing for Miller should help him, if anybody can get him to play harder you'd think it would be Miller. And when he does play hard, he's damn good, again remember the line he put up against UNC in their summer tourney when he was like 15 or 16 years old, he's REALLY good.

THere just isn't any reason this year for Arizona not to have a monster year, 3 starters back plus a part time starter in PJC, they lost their best player, Markannen, and replaced him with Ayton who should be even better.

Edit, I said Haiti earlier, of course he's from the Bahamas

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  3. overseascardfan

overseascardfan Registered User

Williams, Quinerly & Barcello could form a similar trio to the '97 championship team with Bibby, Simon & Terry.

4. TJ

TJ Future G.O.A.T.

Scary stuff, but the team was staying a few blocks away from the terrorist attack in Barcelona.

5. GatorAZ

Nassir Little is reportedly down to Arizona, Miami and UNC. This class could be :eek:

6. Russ Smith

How many kids is Miller going to take in the class? You have the 2 PG's and O'Neal already committed, it looks like you lead for Bol, you could probably get Reid if you want him but seems unlikely he's commit with both O'Neal and Bol there but who knows. Little looks very realistic too. That's 5 or 6 right there.

I guess there's a good argument to take all the bigs you can get since you're going to lose your starting 2 bigs this year.

7. GatorAZ

Miller said up to 7 depending on NBA departures. There's always someone who leaves that you don't expect; possibly Randolph or Akot...

Bol make think he's a 4 but he'll play the 5 in college so Reid or Little wouldn't be an issue. Only thing that could happen is Shareef wanting out but he's a lesser prospect than both guys so it's not the end of the world. Problem is that's a lot of lost publicity considering his dad's persona.

Barrett would be the gem but it'll be tough to get him away from the blue bloods. Arizona has the Akot/Canada connection on their side but I don't know if they're close or not. The coaching staff must've been on him more than meets the eye considering Evan Daniels says Arizona is right there.

Gerald Liddell seemed like a backup plan but he committed to Texas. I'm guessing it's a 6-man class of Quinerly, Williams, O'Neal, Bol, Little and one more. UNC getting hammered by the NCAA would help with Little seeing as it's between AZ, UNC and Miami for him.

8. Russ Smith

Barrett would make a monster class but even without him it's a great class. and it's an absolute death knell class for Steve Alford if Arizona winds up with Quinerly, Little and Reid, all of whom at one point or another UCLA was heavily involved with and hoping to get help from Under Armour.

UCLA is now trying to get in on Dotson the PG that Miller dropped after Quinerly committed but he seems close to committing to Kansas.

I certainly didn't think Under Armour would be able to steer a bunch of national kids to UCLA right away, but the fact that so many of them are picking arizona is just the worst thing that could have happened to Alford.

9. GatorAZ

Dotson is definitely a lock for KU. At one point it seemed like Arizona had their choice of Quinerly or Dotson and Quinerly pulled the trigger first. There's no doubt Lorenzo Romar is putting in work this summer. Arizona was Brandon Williams' "dream school" so Miller would've landed him regardless but they wouldn't have pulled in an additional highly rated PG given Miller's track record of PG's without Romar IMO.

I didn't realize Reid was more of a 5 so it may affect Bol. Maybe the Reid visit will get things moving with Bol similar to Quinerly/Dotson. Gershon didn't say it directly but he seems very low on Shareef O'Neal so I wouldn't expect a lack of aggression pursuing other forwards.

UCLA needs to hope their freshman stick around which seems likely.

10. Russ Smith

yeah Shareef IMO is not that good but good PR and good friends with Bol and others so not a bad take. I don't think he'll play much but it will only backfire if Shaq starts to criticize Miller over it and I think he realizes his son is probably not going to be a major star.

Honestly even if they do the so far utter failure to get a PG and a big in 18 and the look that it's not getting any better is going to be a problem. You go into 18 with Hill as the best 5 on the roster and that's a huge issue. Even if Hands sticks around, and I think he will, you need a backup PG.

Been saying it for months UCLA should be all over Logan Johnson, not an immediate impact guy but IMO by his junior year he'd be good enough to start.This was a down year for PG's in the West, Miller got the best one and Alford has struck out on the national ones, he needs to lock up Johnson before someone else does.

We're hearing on BRO that Reid to UA is a real possibility, as you said Miller is willing to take as many as 7 so 3 bigs in the class wouldn't be a problem.

11. overseascardfan

overseascardfan Registered User

Theoretically, couldn't O'Neal play the SF spot and Bol the PF spot with Reid in the middle. Bol & O'Neal can space the floor with their shooting range. UA is going to be deep in 2018 with their class and holdovers like Lee, Barcello and possibly Akot & Randolph if he doesn't bolt for NBA.