Miller once again does it again!

Discussion in 'University of Arizona' started by Lefty, Sep 13, 2012.

1. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

SC is maxed out on scholarships aren't they? I mean Enfield would do what needs to be done I suppose.

Bagley's dad is from Durham N.C. and I heard his grandma lives there. Not sure how that will affect things but it went from UCLA/UK/AZ to USC/Duke. If he's being steered away from UCLA then the Nike stuff is certainly sounding legit. His dad seems pretty hands-on.

If he goes to USC there will probably be some hurt feeling amongst players that decided to spurn the draft.

2. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

Yes SC has no scholarships so someone would have to be runoff if he goes to SC in 17. and yes I'm betting one of Metu and Boatwright would not be happy if Bagley showed up.

The dad seems to be saying the reclass rumor is not true but who knows. The odder thing of course is how SC came out of nowhere a few months ago to now allegedly leading. I get that Bland and hart connect with kids but it's usually the local ones, Bagley isn't really local he's been in LA 2 years. Maybe it took them that long to build this relationship with him but it sure seems like Nike wants him at a Nike school and if it's not Duke, UK or Arizona, and he wants to be in LA as has been rumored for awhile, it's SC since UCLA is Under Armour.

UCLA is still supposed to get a vist so we'll see but it sure sounds like the recruitment has fundamentally changed. Will be interesting to see if anybody drops out and just goes after Jordan Brown all in

3. overseascardfan

overseascardfan Registered User

UA needs to move on as well, I think he end up at DUKE, he'll be showcased on a NC favorite with a legendary coach and there would be no drama with teammates feeling shafted and end up like a Ben Simmons / LSU situation where teammates feel alienated because coaches are going to focus on showcasing Bagley to keep him happy, because if he or his dad aren't happy he could possibly pull a Fultz and shut it down early and wait for the draft.

UA needs to go after one of the Browns (Moses or Jordan) who may end up being 2 year guys.

4. TJ

TJ Future G.O.A.T.

Arizona is the preseason #1 and won't take much of a step back the following season, if at all. Why can't Bagley showcase his talents at UofA? I mean, the #1 player in 2017 elected to showcase his talents at Arizona.

Miller has been recruiting this kid for 4 years and he's been to Tucson over a half dozen times. If Bagley doesn't reclassify, Arizona is still very much in the mix. You don't give up on recruiting the #1 player in the nation in any recruiting class. This is not an LSU/UW situation. Miller runs the show and is the face of the program. Simmons and Fultz, as players, were the face of their respective programs. In addition, unlike LSU and UW, Arizona will contend for the conference and the NC, so there would be no reason for Bagley to shut it down.

As it stands today, unless he reclassifies, Arizona is in the thick of this recruitment.

5. GatorAZ

You don't move on from a surefire top-3 pick unless he moves on from you...

Also, its early but it's starting to sound like it'd be an upset of Bol Bol doesn't end up in Tucson. Arizona is in the thick of it for RJ Barrett in 2019 as well. If Miller breaks thru this season you can guarantee a top-3 class every year.

6. Russ Smith

What do UA fans get told about Bol? I ask because UCLA fans are being told that as of right now he's unlikely to qualify. Kansas fans are more direct they say if he does qualify it would be a huge surprise based on his terrible academics when he was in HS in Kansas. There are all sorts of rumors of him being way behind academically and needing to do lots of makeup work to have a chance. I've actually seen several people "in the know" who say he's less likely to play college ball than Bagley.

7. TJ

TJ Future G.O.A.T.

Academics haven't been discussed in a while, but it's still the elephant in the room.

8. GatorAZ

I should elaborate. "If" he plays in college I'd expect him at Arizona.

For a while now the Scout guys have been saying they think it comes down to AZ/UK (Gershon specifically) and Bol has apparently faded off Kentucky recently. Not sure if it has to do with getting cut by Cal on the U19 team or not. He's also close with Shareef and both O'Neal and Williams are on him pretty hard.

As far as qualifying Arizona isn't as difficult for borderline guys as UCLA, USC or Kentucky are. I know we like to ignore that it has played a role in the past in landing players.

9. TJ

TJ Future G.O.A.T.

Interesting that Bol Bol was left off the USA team by Cal. When it lost to Canada, Bol liked a tweet that talked about the loss. Wonder if he feels slighted and will lean towards UofA.

10. overseascardfan

overseascardfan Registered User

Grades right? That is the big issue...will he qualify?

11. Russ Smith

Yeah one of the rumors that was on BRO for awhile is that he was possibly going to have to leave Mater Dei because of some issues with academics. Near as I know now he's still there but in LA kids move around all the time.

An example is Melo Ball who it's still rumored probably won't be at Chino Hills next year. But with Bol the rumor is specifically connected to academics.

Fascinating prospect I wasn't all that high on him until this last AAU session where he just lit it up, a kid that big who can shoot like that is hard to ignore.

12. Bodha

Bodha Registered

Isnt O'Neal committed to AZ?

That should mean we are front runners for Bol if they want to stay together.

13. Russ Smith

The rumors on Bol that we're being told have nothing to do with UCLA vs UA admissions, it's NCAA minimums.

14. GatorAZ

Jerry Meyer changed his Crystal Ball pick for Bagley to Duke a few days after it was USC. He seems to flip flop a lot but I guess that's recruiting.

15. Russ Smith

Yeah they're all different but he had Bazz wrong all along, he never had UA leading for Ayton, his track record with elite #1 rated recruits is nothing special.

I'm not saying he's a hack he's obviously got connections, but it's clear people feed him info they want leaked and my guess is that's what happened with USC.
    To be honest I bet someone at Nike leaked that rumor and when they saw the response they probably decided we'd rather have him at Duke and made another attempt to influence the dad.