Miller once again does it again!

Discussion in 'University of Arizona' started by Lefty, Sep 13, 2012.

1. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

Sounds like Grace is taking shots at Alford on the way out...

2. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

Yeah it's a weird way to go out for a guy who's been trying to get a HC job for 3 years and can't get hired.

I have no idea if Alford lied to him or not but making it public probably won't help him get his next job.

Grace is in a weird situation anyways the vast majority of his recruiting prowess was tied to one program, the Compton Magic, and USC just hired Mobley who is one of the Compton Magic coaches and closely tied to their best prospects(2 of them are his sons). My guess is Grace's pipeline was going to be shut off or at least constricted anyways.

I think it's a move of a guy who knows he has one more year at UCLA, a VERY young team(8 first year players), and that he needs another experienced coach more than he needs a recruiter.

3. GatorAZ

Sounds to me like B-Will is a silent to Oregon. Hopefully they can get Zach Johnson the grad transfer.

4. Lefty

Lefty Registered

I really like these two pick-ups. Now if Miller can persuade Williams to pick the Cats over the Ducks, the UofA will have a top-5 team in the Pac-12.

5. Lefty

Lefty Registered

Heard Miller is having another meeting with Brandon.

6. Lefty

Lefty Registered

I really hope Alford is at UCLA for the next 10 years. Not only can he not coach, he is a total douchebag.

7. GatorAZ

Financial Aid paying off. Miller has an easier sell now that two recruits are on board. Another solid assistant hire could build further momentum but it still sounds like Oregon.

8. TJ

TJ Swaggy Head Coach

Bring the waffles, Omar

9. Mr. Boldin

Mr. Boldin Mel Kiper's Daddy

Absolutely not. Miller hates that dude.

10. Lefty

Lefty Registered

The good news is he did not commit before he left Oregon. Hes been a UofA fan for a long time and hopefully Miller can still persuade him. There are more rrecruits visiting this month. I hope Luther will commit.

11. Russ Smith

nobody is really sure who's telling the truth there but apparently Grace may have cost himself a job by doing that. Grace was the heir apparent to Justin Hutson as the top assistant at SDSU. Both guys were up for the Fresno State HC job, Hutson got it, and Grace immediately went to SDSU about replacing Hutson. He was apparently the front runner but there are rumors they're going to pass now after he went public yesterday.

Even if he's telling the truth, and he may well be, AD's and coaches don't like assistants telling stuff like that to the media.

I think this is the last season of Alford, they should have fired him after the Bonnies loss but I think he gets this is his last stand. Obviously this story isn't doing him any good although from what I hear, it was Grace not Alford that leaked the firing story to the media initially. UCLA told him weeks ago hoping he could get another job, his contract runs through June so they didn't need to make it public anytime soon.

Very weird though not a good look for any of Grace, Alford or Dan G.

12. Lefty

Lefty Registered

Give me a break. It's definitely Alford. Grace wouldn't be so adamant. Alford is just a total douchebag.

13. Russ Smith

With all due respect, just 2 years ago Guerrero told Alford he had to either change his staff, or give back 1 year on his contract. This is after the year UCLA didn't make the tourney. Alford chose to give back the 1 year to retain his staff.

So the argument out there that Dan would not and never has told Alford to change his staff is patently false, it happened 2 years ago.

What nobody knows is if he did it this time or not. There's been friction with Grace for years, last year after the season he was so focused on getting a HC job that he screwed up the recruiting hours count for UCLA and their entire staff had to sit out a bit of recruiting "season" because they were maxed out on hours. It was widely known that Alford was furious with Grace for that.

I don't know if Grace is lying or not, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Alford blamed Dan for this, but it's VERY unusual for a coach to do what Grace did in public, it's very likely to harm his ability to get his next job IMO. It also wouldn't surprise me if Dan lied to Grace, Dan lied to the media repeatedly after hiring Alford. When the whole rape story at Iowa came out Dan gave multiple conflicting answers about did he know before he hired him, did they vet him etc. Neither Dan nor Alford have a track record of telling the truth on certain things. One of them is probably lying, which one I don't know. There's a very famous interview with a former Wooden era player who said if Dan knew before he hired him why is he still the AD at UCLA, if Dan didn't know, why is he still the AD that's his job to know.

14. TJ

TJ Swaggy Head Coach

Miller isn’t touching an assistant he can’t trust with 100% confidence, even if it means not getting the best recruiters available.

15. Russ Smith

Plus there may still be some lingering bad blood between Miller and the Compton Magic over Gabe York, even though I think time proved Miller was right about York.

But then if the Yahoo stuff is true Etop might have his own FBi issues to worry about so he may have far less power in recruiting circles.