Mike "I wanne be here" James

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by JCSunsfan, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Finito

Finito Registered

Cleveland and the Bucks ain't doing businesses together they know there gonna see eachother down the road

2. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

That is probably true. Had not really thought of that.

3. Poop Head

Poop Head Poster formerly known as kingdad

Here is an article from Woj about Mike James, he says barring a trade the Suns will waive Derrick Jones Jr. I wouldn't be surprised if they resign him to a Two-Way deal. The language in his contract may not allow them to convert it to a Two-Way contract at this time, which is something that will be included in future deals. It would look bad to convert Davon Reed's deal to a Two-Way contract, since he's injured, but this front office has cared much for how moves look. I'm fine with them parting ways with DJJ though. I think that deadline hanging for James might have hurt the Suns negotiating power while trying to find a trade for Monroe or Chandler. Other teams convinced that they're in a rush when they're fine waiting.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...suns-get-regular-contract-having-two-way-deal

4. Ronin

Ronin Mad scientist behind the keyboard Contributor

5. Poop Head

We knew that was coming now how will they make the space for that? That NBC Sports article doesn't say how they're clearing the roster spot either, speculating that waiving Jones Jr is the easier way to clear the space but that's it.

6. Ronin

EmpireOfTheSuns
    @EmpireOfTheSuns

Mike James is now on a standard contract for the rest of the year, and the Suns have waived Derrick Jones Jr. to open a roster spot

Poop Head and Mainstreet like this.
  7. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

This is the news I have been waiting for. You are on top of it as usual, Ronin.

Poop Head, ColdPickleNachos and Ronin like this.
  8. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

BIG BIG mistake. Not only waiving Jones but keeping Mike James. Stupidity to the extreme by the front office.

ColdPickleNachos likes this.
  9. ColdPickleNachos

ColdPickleNachos Registered

Mike James is exactly the type of player I want us to avoid going forward. No Mike James. No Brandon Knight.

I'm tired of point guards who make themselves the entire focus of the offense. It's bad basketball. Even when that type of point guard is otherworldly talented (aka Russell Westbrook), it's not always good for the team. I don't understand why the Suns can't see this!

leclerc and Mainstreet like this.
  10. Mainstreet

11. ColdPickleNachos

ColdPickleNachos Registered

Mike James is seen as a nice surprise, but it's just that he shoots more than he should and dominates the ball more than he should, which tricks people into thinking he is better than he is.

I HATE his body language. He's that point guard we've all played with in pickup games who criticizes everyone else on his team while he makes dumb, selfish mistake after dumb, selfish mistake.

What if I told you we could have an undersized point guard who shoots the same FG% as Ricky Rubio but lacks all of his good traits?

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/...-game/sort/fieldGoalPct/position/point-guards

He's #28 out of 29 for qualified point guards in FG%.

leclerc and Poop Head like this.
  12. Ronin

13. Mainstreet

The good side, it's only for the rest of the season.

Maybe we do not resign him to another contract. ;)

http://arizonasports.com/story/1339867/suns-sign-mike-james-two-way-contract-derrick-jones-jr/

14. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

I know in the scheme of things this might not be a big deal, but this really has gone a long way -- I was trying to hold out hope on this front office, and McD in particular -- but I cannot in good conscience support this front office anymore. DJJ wasn't getting any time, but he was oozing potential as a possible future defender extraordinaire. Why would you give up on that for Mike freaking James who has NO place in the #timeline?

ColdPickleNachos likes this.
  15. Poop Head

If Jones clears waivers I think the Suns will sign him to a Two-Way contract. I don't think he showed much while with the team though. The only reason he was on the main roster last year was his entry in the Slam-Dunk Contest. They let him play for a week or so before the All-Star break and then afterwards when they went full tank mode. He couldn't shoot though so I don't blame them for giving up on him.

I don't like James but keeping him for the year isn't that bad. Installing a new PG is a little trickier than installing a new Center in a coaches system and Triano trusts James as a backup. Unfortunately we're in a position where we need James because of trades and injuries. @ColdPickleNachos nailed the comparison though of James playing like the guy who tries to tell everyone how to play in a pickup game but makes horrible mistakes or plays virtually every time he touches the ball. I'd been trying to come up with a way to describe his attitude for a while and that is spot on.

ColdPickleNachos and Mainstreet like this.