Michael Stone Comeback

Discussion in 'ASFN Hall of Fame' started by footballstone, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Matt L

Matt L formerly known as mattyboy

you really think that would fly today, especially when first round picks are fully expected to be starters? back in the 80s there was alot more respect for the veterans but now, if penny hardaway started questioning amare's heart on TV, there would be hell to pay from the team.

2. pinnacle

pinnacle Registered User

somewhere in this long thread is a question on how stone is doing in camp. I was there sun - wednesday and will be there next week. Stone is at safety 100% from what I saw. He was playing 2nd and 3rd string when I was there (we only have 5 safeties - so someone has to double down when the 3rd string corners come in). I did not notice him making plays..but I did not notice him getting burned alot either. we need corners badly - and we should move him back there. All I really noticed about the dbacks was that adrian wilson likes to clock people at the play and away from the play...I thought coby rhinehart looked awful (but I read in the media he is having a good camp..who knows). Renoldo hill is making a bunch of plays..but I watched him last season and in my opinion he is our slowest dback and if we rely on him we will be in trouble.. I did not hear stone getting chewed out much nor did I notice alot of mistakes on his part...but I did not see him making plays.

For some reason - stone is bigger than I thought he was very small - he is about the same size as the rest of the dbacks (except for starks and #37 from florida - they are alot smaller). watching practice - I was very disappointed in the play of the corners..I thought the safeties played ok..I was thinking they should move stone to corner due to the weakness of that position - could never figure out why he was playing safety. I was all gung ho on rhett nelson...he stays with guys - but I have not seem him make many plays on the ball...nelson might be better at safety and stone at corner..

3. WisconsinCard

WisconsinCard Herfin BIg Time Contributor

Wow muffin that was a great post number 666. It was pure evil.evil:

4. JeffGollin

JeffGollin Registered User

but I'm pretty certain that Michael Stone was thought by many to be a reach in the 2nd round
    Yup.

I remember Mac waxing all moist about Stone's ability to run like hell with the receiver and then stop on a dime.

(Another example of overly relying on a single area of pure athletic ability rather than the dude's productivity playing the actual game of football).

Reminds me of the reason we reached for Leeland McElroy (i.e. He gave good shuttle).

5. kerouac9

kerouac9 Blocked by @Cardschatter

I had a girlfriend who gave good shuttle. Why'd I ever let that girl go? :)

6. Tangodnzr

Tangodnzr Banned

Could she also bench 225, 15 times???

Sorry Kerouac, but you left yourself wiiiiiiide open for that one.
    :D

7. SECTION 11

SECTION 11 vibraslap

mmmmm... shuttle.....

8. Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion

As for DC,i played baseball in college and have coached high school football.I also have a friend who's a coach in the NFL and many friends who are high school/college coaches.That doesn't make me anymore qualified than anyone else to have an opinion on the Cards,or any athlete ,for that matter.In fact,most people on this board probably think i'm one of the bigger idiots,which is fine with me,because i tend to be more negative than most.So your theory of athletes being easier on each other holds no water.As for Stone,if he can play,he will.The coaches are going to play the players they think gives them the best chance to win.Otherwise,they're out of a job.They are not going to hold a grudge and keep a star player down just to prove a point.Bottom line,the best players play.

9. Northern Card

Northern Card Registered

I do remember that CHAVOUS (after reviewing tapes) was also quite impressed by Stone...