Michael Stone Comeback

Discussion in 'ASFN Hall of Fame' started by footballstone, Jul 31, 2003.

1. ajcardfan

ajcardfan I see you. Contributor

Maybe people who have never played professional football go overboard in their criticism of the athletes.

So what?

Why do so many others feel the need to line up and defend them for poor play, or even worse, criminal behavior? These guys have a tremendous privlege. They play a game at the highest level and make some serious money doing it. I'm not saying it's easy, or unstressful. Mike Stone will have made over a million dollars in three years. If the fans bag on him because he hasn't produced at the level he was paid and drafted at, too bad. With more privlege goes more responsibility. If you don't want public criticism, get a job in the private sector.

2. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

well, i can't agree with the "worthless" part, but the "homers" part rings fairly close to true . . .

3. Krangthebrain

Krangthebrain DPOY

But that's extremely hypocritical of him and extremely rude.

The guy is the biggest Jake homer this side of Tango, and he calls us homers?!

And I gave him multiple opportunities, as AZCB34 said, to apologize and he didn't.

4. Ouchie-Z-Clown

hmm, i was unaware of his trangressions on another board. to bash each other here is one thing, to do so on another board is poor taste. we should keep our dirty laundry to ourselves and presented a united front against other teams. we tend to take enough gruff being cards fans as it is. . .

5. Krangthebrain

Krangthebrain DPOY

I'm not going to let him post on this board as if he never said those things about us.

He basically said we were all a bunch of dumbasses and that his take on Jake was the truth.

6. SECTION 11

SECTION 11 vibraslap

absolutely. :thumbup:

7. Ouchie-Z-Clown

well, at least i got that contentious thread i was hoping for!

and, with all due respect to michael and his family, until he proves us wrong, he's a second round bust as he has not contributed on the field as is expected of a second-rounder, coaching, intelligence, bench press or not.

8. Matt L

Matt L formerly known as mattyboy

you would never have one of these players come onto this board and say that michael stone is garbage, you would never hear of a coach coming onto this board and telling everyone that a player is garbage. smack talk can be good amongst a team because it strengthens competition. i had coaches that were dicks too, but that was only during our practices and our games, to our team. when talking with other coaches he had nothing but pride in us.

i dont think your comparison holds much merit.

9. RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin Registered

I agree 100%.

I get by saying he suck, he stinks, is kind of mean. I think when it is said baout a player, at least in my case, it is just how I speak about sports. I mean that is how my father did it, and my older brothers.
    At the same time I was also taught by those same people that even the worse NFL player is a great athelete and is high above the normal man in atheletic abilty.
    I would hope and think that the people on this board have a high respect for the abilities of preofessional atheletes, and when they say stuff like " so and so sucks" That is it implied that they know that these athelete's compared to the rest of humanity are awesome. And deserve the respect for all the hard work they have put into being the athelete they are.

But I wouldn't hold it a against a guy for ripping a player. I mean it is a message board, and it is just football fans talking football. People have always used words like awful, sucks, stinks, and such when talking football. Hopefully the underlining respect is there while they are doing it.

It is a real gray area and if you put to much into then Yes, it would be highly insulting to a player. Cause any guy who puts on pads deserves respect. Not matter how much they "suck"

Peace, going on haitus got to get work done. :thumbup:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2003
  10. kerouac9

kerouac9 Blocked by @Cardschatter

I'm not sure if anyone on this thread ever said that Michael Stone sucks. I'm careful about doing that after being browbeaten over it some time ago.

I think that what we have been saying is that (or some combination therein):

1. Mike Stone is a bust as a 2nd round draft pick, 54th overall, in 2000, thus far, at least.
    2. To say it was just coaching/coaches' prejudice is an excuse
    3. His stats/PT don't reflect what you're saying: That he's a star, or something.

All that information seems to be accurate. I don't think that anyone's made any qualitative judgements about Stone as a person or athelete, only judging him as a player, which is what you sign up for when you're paid 200 grand a year.

11. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

To give you an example, when Clyde Drexler was a rookie in the NBA he was having trouble guarding Jim Paxson in camp. A reporter asked Paxson on air if he was surprised they had taken Drexler (considered a SG/SF at the time) when they already had Paxson and if he was worried about the challenge for PT.

To Paraphrase, Paxson said "I'm not worried about Rexler at all, if he plays well it's good for the team. If Rexler can get minutes that's great". The announcer says "Jim his name is Drexler not Rexler".

ANd Paxon says "not to us we call him Rexler, as in NO D!"

It was on air, and Drexler was a great defender most of his NBA career but as a rookie he wasn't and he got taunted mercilessly.

I don't think any players are posting here so that point is moot. the point is i don't think people are calling Stone evil names here, just saying we need more from him as a player.

If someone's on here calling slandering him then yeah they should NOT do that.I don't think saying he's been a bust up to now is slander.

12. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

Why Ouchie? Why respond you spoiled brat! Now he's probably gonna make some kind of crack about being a snot nose doctor's son or something else "decent" or rational.

13. DeAnna

DeAnna Just A Face in The Crowd

Re: FUNNY!

Just what we need! Another wannabe architect who claims to have above average GPA!

Just kidding, 11 :D

14. Wild Card

Wild Card Surfin' Bird

DCCardsFan:

Statistics are one of the few--if not the only--ways to quantifiably compare players. They're frequently the basis of performance incentives in professional contracts. They're recorded by the Hall of Fame. To reject them as an invalid basis for discussion is simply wrong.

Basing an opinion of an athlete solely on stats is equally wrong. It's the same reason that successful horseplayers put down the Racing Form and go look at the horses themselves. You'll see things that past performance charts can't tell you.

No doubt. But if you're implying that analysis and evaluation of athletic performance requires personal mastery of the sport(s) in question, you're crazy. Some of the best sports reporters in history never played a down or an inning after high school, if then. (For that matter, some athletes are so inarticulate about their profession they can barely form a complete sentence. Different skill sets.)

Have the courage of your convictions, man. I make my living analyzing data and drawing conclusions. I couldn't care less if someone else disagrees with my views, unless they can make a better case. (Shouting louder doesn't count. Points deducted for swearing and/ or name-calling.)

Why bail after a few dozen posts? You seem like a bright guy, who knows the game pretty well. Just don't go bashing ASFNers on other boards, any more. Bad form. ;)

WC

15. Tangodnzr

Tangodnzr Banned

:thumbup:

Great Post Wildcard!!!!!

That's one of the best I've read in a long time.