Mavericks @ Suns game thread 1-31-18

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Mainstreet, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Suns_fan69

Suns_fan69 Official ASFN Lurker Contributor

I've missed a number of games but Bender looked more aggressive than usual in this game.

And Isiah's injury is just horrible, on a number of levels. Hopefully he can get back 100% after this. Props to Dudley for being the first guy to come back to him to comfort him when everyone started backing away.

2. SirStefan32

SirStefan32 Krycek, Alex Krycek

Bender started walking towards him, saw his ankle, and turned around and dropped to his knees. I thought he was going to throw up.

I agree about him being a little more aggressive last night. I loved the dunk in the first half. Now he needs to start doing that more often.

3. Suns_fan69

Suns_fan69 Official ASFN Lurker Contributor

The dunk and that flash to the key are two plays mentioned, but he started diving hard to the rim on the pick and roll with booker where before he used to fade to the 3pt line after setting the screen. He also went straight to the block when a smaller defender got switched on him. They all looked like new behaviors to me (though I haven't watched thaaat many games). IMO he needs this level of aggression all the time to stay in this league, he can't be that passive 3 pt shooter/facilitator all the time.

4. SirStefan32

Yes, I noticed that as well!

5. BC867

BC867 Long time Phoenician! Contributor

Before his growth spurt, he was a PG. What does that mean? I guess it means that his skills haven't progressed in proportion to his size. Correction -- his height. That is the only thing that makes him a "big man".

6. SirStefan32

In all fairness, it's hard to find a European player who was not a point guard at some point. When you join a club as a kid, they teach you to be a point guard, or "play maker" as we called it. Then they teach you to shoot.
    There is a reason every Euro can (and likes to) pass the ball, and can hit open jumpers. From Sabonis, Divac, and Kukoc, to Jokic, Nurkic, and Bender, they've all been point guards and shooting guards before they grew into PFs and Centers.

Mainstreet likes this.
  7. elindholm

elindholm rehabilitated

That's because he was thinking, "Oh God, now I'll have to shoot more."

SirStefan32 likes this.