Markelle Fultz

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Mainstreet, Apr 15, 2017.

1. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

Ainge has a good summer.

2. Poop Head

Poop Head Poster formerly known as kingdad

The Sixers probably should have stayed at 3 and drafted Tatum or Fox. Who knows how the draft would have gone had they stayed there but they might have ended up with Fultz at 3 also, depending on what the Celtics decided to do. I don't think a player should be called a bust during their first month but I don't think Fultz was worth the #1 pick, especially since Philly gave up the #3 and a lottery pick this year to get him.

3. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

I think that's why they took Fultz yes, they wanted a shooter. My take is always you take the best player and then if he doesn't fit there's a path to trade him or another player to get what you need.

Given what we know so far they probably should have taken Tatum, good enough shooter and I think he and Simmons can play together.

I think Fultz will eventually be a good player but I think the key for him is he's going to have to prove he can play off the ball, that team is running through Ben Simmons for the next 12-15 years barring injuries, they need guys who can play off him. So far Fultz hasn't really shown he can do that.

4. DWKB

DWKB Registered

I think Fultz was the best talent they could have selected in the top 5. They needed a secondary ball handler to run P&R when Simmons sits and a shooter beyond the arc off the ball when Simmons plays. That was Fultz more than any other draft pick last year.

Tatum is a lane clogger on PHI. He'd get in both Simmons and Embiid's way.

5. Russ Smith

Yeah I don't love Tatum but he is a pretty good shooter.

We'll see on Fultz, it's hard to say because at UW he almost always had the ball but I see a guy who's entire game is built on working with the ball. He always reminded me of Chris Jackson the LSU guy, it was like he spent his entire childhood in a gym alone or with a trainer working on moves to get off a jumper. In college he was unguardable, but in the NBA he really struggled to be part of a team. Had some good scoring years on bad teams but was never really an impact guy on a good team.

Fultz is bigger and more athletic, but I don't think he's as good a shooter/scorer as Jackson was. Same kind of game though everything is off the bounce, he's got a bunch of moves and counters that he's been drilled on for years, I just never have seen any indication he can play off the ball.

6. Errntknght

Errntknght Registered User

All I know was that I was glad Phoenix didn't have the first or second pick because I was afraid McD would have gone conventional and picked Fultz or Ball. I don't know if I'd have had the 'huevos' to pick Markannen at 4 but I thought his three point shooting was what we needed most - assuming it carried over. I thought Fox was probably the BPA but I liked Ulis to run our offense so I'd have likekly gone with Josh, though I didn't think he was a really good defender. So far that's been borne out but with good coaching he might turn out quite good yet... he's got the length and athleticism and energy. It may turn out that Ntikilina would have been the smartest pick but I wasn't looking for a PG so I didn't even seriously consider him.

7. Ronin

Ronin Mad scientist behind the keyboard Contributor

8. Ronin

9. Russ Smith

Not totally apples to apples because they fired Romar and hired Mike Hopkins from Syracuse but going back to what I wrote pre draft about how the lack of success UW had as a team with Fultz bothered me. UW is 10-4 this year with wins over Kansas and a USC team that was considered a final 4 contender preseason but seems to be imploding after losing DeAnthony Melton to the FBI scandal.

So UW with the same roster sans replacing Fultz with freshman Jaylen Nowell, has 1 more win this year than they did all last year.

They eventually ran out of gas last night, i think UCLA finished the game on a 26-1 run or something crazy, but they had UCLA down double digits at pauley with 15 minutes left in the game.

They are a MUCH more competitive team this year. the zone helps bunches but basically what Hopkins has done is get them to play harder and play for the team, whereas I felt last year under Romar they didn't play hard and in particular Fultz just seemed to go through the motions, play for his stats, coast on defense(except for blocks) and then pack it in and wait for the draft.

I dont think he shoots well enough to be a 1 and done but Nowell is going to be very good too, he looks a bit like Gary Payton, 6'4", very athletic, tough kid can play the 1.

ColdPickleNachos likes this.
  10. Phrazbit

Phrazbit Registered

Pretty sure going between those schools is almost literally "Oranges to Apples".

Russ Smith likes this.
  11. ArizonaSportsFan

ArizonaSportsFan Registered User

:lmao::notworthy:

12. Russ Smith

Well played good sir !

13. Ronin

Marc J. Spears‏Verified [email protected] 28m28 minutes ago
    Sixers say rookie G Markelle Fultz has been cleared to begin the final stage of his return-to-play program. The program consists of gradual re-integration into team practices and training, complemented with additional conditioning work to support fitness readiness for gameplay.

14. Ronin

15. Russ Smith

Yeah there's talk that the shoulder is still not right that he's still not comfortable shooting.

I've been skeptical of him in the past but I really hope the kid gets healthy and gets a chance to play this year. What a strange situation a shoulder injury serious enough to keep him out this long and either the team didn't know, or just intended to play him with the injury until it became obvious he couldn't play with it