Manning will still be number One

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by az jam, Mar 16, 2004.

1. az jam

az jam Registered User

IMO the Chargers will still pick Manning with the number one pick.
    Manning and Thomlinson are the foundation that the Chargers will build around. They can pick up a good wr on round two as this years class of wrs is one of the best ever. They can get the other pieces needed to have a playoff team in the draft and free agency over the next couple of years. Getting rid of Boston frees up money and gets rid of a major "people" problem. The Chargers are in a rebuilding mold and having a franchise qb and rb are the key pieces to start.
    Marty S. is no longer calling the shots in San Diego and most likely not be there after this season. Additionally, many think that the Cards will trade up to number one to get Fitz. Won't happened. Denny will sit at three and either get Fitz or Mike Williams.

2. CardNots

CardNots Registered User

I agree.

3. NMCardfan

NMCardfan Rookie

That's what I'm sayin', my brother.

4. seesred

seesred Registered User

I agree we sit at number three unless Manning falls then we trade value.

GBR

5. JeffGollin

JeffGollin Registered User

IMO the Chargers will still pick Manning with the number one pick.
    They no longer have David Boston (and got spit for him).

This leaves them with as big a roster need for a dominant receiver as does the Cardinals. But that doesn't mean they'll either take Fitz, Mike Williams or, for that matter, a QB.

I think they'll trade down.

Why? Because suddenly there's a lot of buzz about the Chargers really wanting to draft Gallery. I think it's all subtrefuge. Just the mention of Gallery's name as a possible top pick will throw blind panic into the hearts of teams like the Giants.

IMNSHO - If they keep the pick, I think they'll draft a receiver. But I really think they'll do everything they can to trade down.

6. Garthshort

Garthshort Registered User

Win-Win Situation

At #3 the Cardinals are in a very good situation. Let's assume they want a WR with their 1st pick and have ranked the WR's as follows:
    1. Fitz
    2. Mike W.
    3. Roy W.

If Fitz and Mike W. go 1-2 there will be at least two teams (Giants and Browns) who will look to trade up in order to get Gallery and are probably willing to give up a 3(Giants) or a 2(Browns). By taking the 3 they are assured of getting Williams and picking at #7 they might get him. What would everyone do?

7. ajcardfan

ajcardfan I see you. Contributor

Re: Win-Win Situation

If I had to take either deal, I'd take the second rounder and pick at #7.

8. Red Air Force

Red Air Force DILLIGAFF

Re: Re: Win-Win Situation

I'd take the Giants 3rd, and THEN take the Browns 1st next year and 2nd this year for them to take Manning. :thumbup:

9. spanky1

spanky1 Registered User

I just posted an analysis as to why I didn't think Boston leaving San Diego would steer them to a

10. spanky1

spanky1 Registered User

Somehow I hit the wrong button.......oops!

What I wanted to say was that I posted an analysis about why I didn't think SD will go the WR route in the draft over on another thread......Poll: WR's....it was meant for this thread....FWIW

11. Rats

Rats Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'

The Chargers would be a good candidate to trade down with the Browns and take Couch(if he would rework his contract for the chance to start) and Northcutt and a pick. This would give Marty a seasoned QB and a reciever. With Lt , Couch and Northcutt all good young players. And Couch with a running game might not be to bad.

12. spanky1

spanky1 Registered User

I all my draft and trade down mascinations (sp?), I never once thought of this scenario.......shame on me as it makes ALL THE SENSE IN THE WORLD! Fills alot of positions of need with no risk and still gets them a #7 pick which they could use on their defensive line......brilliant, and this is the first time I 've read such a plausible option for the Bolts

13. vikesfan

vikesfan Banned

Folks I think NFL people are realizing now after years that:

1. The odds of a round 1 QB busting is huge.

2. You no longer need that franchise QB to win a SB.

3. Even if the round 1 doesn't bust he likely will be with another team when he becomes good. Since QBs develop much later than other players.

4. I think SD did not want Manning (Leaf, Brees) Marty is in a win now or lose his job position.

5. CLE just dumped their frachise QB you think they want to try again? I kind of doubt unless they are gluttons for punishment.

6. I think Al Davis is the anti-trend guy he might take Manning cause other people are saying don't take QBs.