Little-known illness tied to smoking weed on the rise

Discussion in 'Body and Health' started by Brian in Mesa, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa BIM™ Contributor

Little-known illness tied to smoking weed on the rise

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...moking-weed-on-the-rise/ar-BBxF7iw?li=BBnbfcL

For more than two years, Lance Crowder was having severe abdominal pain and vomiting, and no local doctor could figure out why. Finally, an emergency room physician in Indianapolis had an idea.

“The first question he asked was if I was taking hot showers to find relief. When he asked me that question, I basically fell into tears because I knew he had an answer,” Crowder said.

The answer was cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome, or CHS. It’s caused by heavy, long-term use of various forms of marijuana. For unclear reasons, the nausea and vomiting are relieved by hot showers or baths.

“They’ll often present to the emergency department three, four, five different times before we can sort this out,” said Dr. Kennon Heard, an emergency room physician in Aurora, Colorado.

He co-authored a study showing that since 2009, when medical marijuana became widely available, emergency room visits diagnoses for CHS in two Colorado hospitals nearly doubled. In 2012, the state legalized recreational marijuana.

“It is certainly something that, before legalization, we almost never saw,” Heard said. “Now we are seeing it quite frequently.”

Outside of Colorado, when patients do end up in an emergency room, the diagnosis is often missed. Partly because doctors don’t know about CHS, and partly because patients don’t want to admit to using a substance that’s illegal.

CHS can lead to dehydration and kidney failure, but usually resolves within days of stopping drug use. That’s what happened with Crowder, who has been off all forms of marijuana for seven months.

unicharm likes this.
  2. jf-08

jf-08 Administrator; Rules Creator Contributor

I thought it was a miracle drug, like curing cancer and stuff? :shrug:

3. AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy Magnanimous

Too much of anything is bad for you :)

thirty-two and Linderbee like this.
  4. Dback Jon

Dback Jon Killer Snail Contributor

Any drug, whether a prescription, or alcohol, or even aspirin, etc, if consumed in excess over a long period of time will harm you.

I mean, some drugs WILL cure cancer, but you don't want to take them.

5. BigRedRage

BigRedRage badass Contributor

Lol @ this. What are they doing, smoking a pound a month? I mean I've heard absolutely nothing of the like and I know people that smoke more in a day than I do in a month

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

6. AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy Magnanimous

I think these people are real heavy into concentrates and highly potent edibles...if I were to guess. A gram of concentrate is comparable to 5-7 grams of weed...and some people smoke 2+ grams of concentrate per day...which is obscene.

7. BigRedRage

As are the people I'm talking about but I assume also the sick people are just eating mad edibles or something. The are videos of people doing one gram concentrate bong rips on YouTube.

I'm a lifelong head but I'm a lightweight for sure. I get all weird when I get too high. I get a better deal from concentrates though as I used to do about an eighth a week and I'm now doing a gram of concentrates every 2 weeks.

8. AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy Magnanimous

A gram in one bong rip? That's...insane. Those people are going to melt their brains! And hopefully you're getting concentrate made with Co2 and not butane :)

9. BigRedRage

It depends, the consistency matters with my device so I get real stable shatters and waxes that you can use your fingers with. I lot of the more pure stuff tends to be a gooey texture right now.

And yeah, those videos are crazy. I would choke

10. oaken1

oaken1 Stone Cold

I know people who have been daily smokers for fifty years and I have never heard of anything like this until today

11. cardncubfan

cardncubfan H

40 years for me & have never had any issues. It's the only thing that saved me when I started having symptoms of colitis. Being doubled over in pain because my colon was in knots was not fun at all. A couple of puffs & within 10-15 minutes it would relax & I was able to stand up & function as normal.

BigRedRage likes this.
  12. unicharm

unicharm Free Agent

Any raw food of animal origin, such as meat, poultry, milk and dairy products, eggs, seafood, and some fruits and vegetables may carry Salmonella bacteria. The bacteria can survive to cause illness if meat, poultry, and egg products are not cooked to a safe minimum internal temperature as measured with a food thermometer and fruits and vegetables are not thoroughly washed. The bacteria can also contaminate other foods that come in contact with raw meat and poultry. Safe food handling practices are necessary to prevent bacteria on raw food from causing illness.

13. Linderbee

Linderbee Let's GO, CARDINALS! Contributor

Cool story, bro.