Let's talk about GMOs

Discussion in 'The Food Forum' started by Jersey Girl, Oct 3, 2015.

1. crisper57

crisper57 Open the Roof!

Personally, I trust genetically-modified organisms more than I trust non-GMO's that are treated some other way before they make it to my dinner table.

Would I rather have a potato genetically-modified to resist blight or one that came from a plant sprayed with fungicide?

Would I rather eat a chicken modified to be larger or would I like a regular chicken pumped full of saline (to get the weight up for sale)?

Would I rather drink milk from a GMO cow or just have the hormones added to the milk after the fact?

Messing with stuff at the genetic level has been going on as long as we have been domesticating crops and animals. We favor certain traits and cull others. This is just the next step in that phase. The real harm, I feel, is with all the additives that come during the food production that have nothing to do with genetics.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  2. ajcardfan

ajcardfan I see you. Contributor

GMO foods are tested way beyond any other food before it can get to market. If anyone can show a peer-reviewed paper that shows a definitive link to a GMO food and a disease I would like to see it.

There have been GMOs that were POTENTIALLY harmful to humans, but they did not pass the tests and never made it to market.

3. schutd

schutd Regular User

The issue for me is GMO solely for pesticide resistance, which is the greatest use of GMO crops right now. That way Crisper can get the best of both worlds! A genetically modified vegetable sprayed to the nines with pesticide. All for profit, not for actually growing something, you know, nutritious and flavorful...

4. Rivercard

Rivercard Too much good stuff

GMO's don't appear to be cutting down on additives when you look at the ingredients list of most food products offered at the grocery.

5. bankybruce

bankybruce She is stronger than you! Contributor

But several studies has shown that cetains GMO's have cuased infertility in animial 2 or 3 generations later. That is scary and since it will take humans 50-75 years to see if it has the same impact, I stick to my organic foods just in case. I want my grandkids and great grandkids to have children.

6. crisper57

crisper57 Open the Roof!

I don't know if that is true correlation. Eating and genetic modification probably don't have the same outcome.

You can breed a horse and donkey and get a mule (which is sterile). Eating mule meat won't make YOU sterile. You may have other issues, but sterility won't be one.

7. bankybruce

bankybruce She is stronger than you! Contributor

Animals were fed the GMO foods in these studies.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeffrey-smith/genetically-modified-soy_b_544575.html

8. crisper57

crisper57 Open the Roof!

Interesting. What is the "maximum" GM diet? I wonder if it is like the rats that were fed truckloads of saccharine until they developed cancer. Or was it a reasonable amount of food that could plausibly be replicated in normal human consumption?

9. crisper57

crisper57 Open the Roof!

New Study:

GMO's safe for human and animal consumption.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/tech...ce-report-genetically-modified-food/84458872/

If this study does not fit your already-established worldview, I welcome your reasons for rejecting it without reading it first.

10. 82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad 7 x 70

11. ajcardfan

ajcardfan I see you. Contributor

You might be interested to know that "Organic" does not automatically equal "Non-GMO". It has to be "USDA Certified Organic" or "100% Organic" to be certain it has no GMO ingredients, or is actually a GMO like almost all Papaya sold in the USA is.

12. 82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad 7 x 70

Good to know. Thx! :thumbup: