Knowshon Moreno = Clinton Portis

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Shogun, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Shogun

Shogun Never doubt Mitch. EVER.

After watching Moreno this season, I've finally come to a solid comparison. The way he runs hard between the tackles, pass protects, and his intensity remind me a lot of former Miami great Clinton Portis. Both had similar builds (Moreno 5-10, 207; Portis 5-10.5, 211) and had similar similar questions about them. Here is an old scouting report on Portis on draft day:
    Link

Portis slid to #51, disproved the scouting report and came on like gangbusters, instantly becoming one of the best in the league and for a few years second only to LT. I think the talk of Moreno being extremely overrated is too premature. You can see that the kid has "it". I think that he is the best running back in the draft and if (yes, if) he's available at 21 with the lack of quality runners in this draft I think that we should think long about him. I fully endorse this guy as our first round pick.

Shogun approves this message.

2. Shzm13

Shzm13 Registered

Id say Knowshon is a little more athletic, and Portis is definitely more of a power runner.

All that can change if Knowshon adds about 20lbs of muscle.. Particularly in his legs.

But he does have great balance and agility, similar to Portis.

3. Arizona's Finest

Arizona's Finest Your My Favorite Mistake

I actually agree with you but have been hesitant to speak up because of all the negative talk of "Know-sho".

You don't start as a Redshirt Frosh at a school like UGA and put up silly numbers unless there is something to your style. He didn't have the best year this year but I think he is more cut out for the next level anyway.

I like your comparison and I have seen him make plays (there was a divein the ASU game especially) that only special players make.

I won't be crying if we draft him and he seems bound to fall.

4. 82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad 7 x 70 Contributor

So hard to tell... at the surface there does appear to be similarities...
    I honestly can't recall how I felt about Portis when he came out. But I just can't help but feel that Moreno is a bust waiting to happen...

5. Shogun

Portis put on 20lbs of muscle (mostly lower body) and transformed his running style to be more physical when he was traded to Washington because of the demands of the Gibbs running system. Portis was just as nimble as Moreno while at Miami and his Denver years.

6. TheCardFan

TheCardFan Things have changed.

Portis now weighs 221 (NFL.com). I liked Portis much more than I do Moreno, coming out of college.

I think Moreno is more like Cadillac Williams but if we draft him, I hope your right.

My favorite back this year is Greene from Iowa.

Not that it's the ultimate comparison but Iowa and Georgia both played Mich State and South Carolina. The stats are not close.

South Carolina

KM 20 / 79 yards 1 TD
    SG 29 / 121 yards 3 TD

Michigan State

KM 23 / 62 yards
    SG 30 / 157 yards

7. CardLogic

CardLogic .

Me too! Thing I like about Greene is his tenacity. Even when defensed well, he just keeps bringing it every play!

8. Shogun

Shonn Greene screams a smoother Rudi Johnson to me, He's a workhorse guy with really good vision, but his hands are really spotty and not quite polished in other areas. I'm leaning towards putting him as the second best back in the draft. I will need to see how fast he'll run. I won't front, his age bothers me. I'm not a fan of picking a RB who would be almost 30 at the end of his rookie deal.

At this point, he's a second rounder with the chance to sneak into the first with good workouts.

Knowshon has that same characteristic...
    Exactly, he wasn't nearly as big when he came in the league, illustrating my point that Moreno could gain weight if desired.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  9. TheCardFan

I don't expect Greene to be very fast...4.5? His vision, instincts, and forward running style make up for it in college...not sure how it translates to the NFL.

On Portis...you were saying he added 20#s of muscle...he was drafted at 211 and weighs 221 now.

10. Shogun

Link
    The scouting report I linked to said 200, but I figured he was bigger than that. I must have gotten the wrong weight.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  11. TheCardFan

Not trying to change your opinion...

but Shonn Greene is only two years older than Knowshon.

Knowshon July 1987
    Greene Aug 1985

12. Shogun

And age is a lot when it comes to running backs. Knowshon in four years - 26, Green in four years - 28. Two years before the precipice of 30, where all running backs begin to decline dramatically.

13. General Chaos

General Chaos Gronko = Man Beast

If Moreno runs well at the combine, I don't see the Cards passing on him. From everything I've read it seems like they want a speed back after seeing how well Chris Johnson has done this year.

14. 82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad 7 x 70 Contributor

Moreno is not a "speed" back....

15. Buckybird

Buckybird Hoist the Lombardi Trophy

not at all. Moreno reminds me of a young Edge more than Portis.