Kava

Discussion in 'Body and Health' started by BillsCarnage, Nov 11, 2017.

1. BillsCarnage

BillsCarnage Registered

Has anyone ever tried this?

I'd never heard of it until and article on ESPN about NFL players using it for pain instead of opioids. It seems to be another of mother natures super cure all roots. It's been used by Polynesians forever.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/256632/kava-the-nfls-newest-and-safest-painkiller

Weird because it's banned in Europe and Canada because of liver damage concerns, but allowed in the US.

2. Linderbee

Linderbee Let's GO, CARDINALS! Contributor

Read the article, was intrigued, bought some on Amazon. I shall report back!!

3. BigRedRage

BigRedRage badass Contributor

I drank some on the big island in April. A lot of people there, some picking up gallons at a time. It tastes terrible. I was really stoned when I got there and cannot confirm if it really did anything at all to me.

It tastes basically like drinking really, really dirty water.

cardncubfan and Linderbee like this.
  4. Linderbee

It's funny, the reviews were 50/50 on "It's awful" and "I like its earthy flavor". "Earthy flavor" is not a ringing endorsement for me, but a bunch of people posted "recipes" with milk, choco syrup, etc., to make it more palatable.

Others said that after drinking it often enough you got used to it. We'll see what happens.

5. BigRedRage

they do say more drinking you get used to it. They also claim it works better the more you drink it which doesn't make sense. I drank it, it wasn't tasty but... whatever, neither are magic mushrooms and I ate plenty of those in my day.

Linderbee likes this.
  6. BillsCarnage

BillsCarnage Registered

What did you order?

I was looking at one of these

-https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BH42CS6/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3I0AH5KBADXG

-https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PA1QDHS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=AC24HTUGRM75V&th=1

Found this site with loads of info - http://kavaforums.com/forum/

This is local and was thinking of trying the sampler.
    https://cactuskava.com/

7. Linderbee

I got the one in your very top link, as well as their strainer. I think I'm gonna try it out tonight.

8. BillsCarnage

BillsCarnage Registered

9. Linderbee

So, last night I made it the 'traditional' way, putting it in my strainer bag & kneading it. I used 1/8 cup (2 tbsp) Kava to 3 cups coconut water instead of regular water, and added in some honey & cinnamon. The shells/cups were ok until the last swallow...jesus it's like drinking straight dirt...I didn't feel any euphoria or any of that, but I did sleep like a baby for the first time in ages. I had to get up to use the bathroom a few times because of all the liquid I'd consumed, but I went right back to sleep. Normally for me that would mean another hour awake trying to fall asleep.

Tonight I tried the blender method, as I didn't like kneading for 5 minutes. I used half a cup of kava, 2 cups water, 1 cup coconut water, and 1 cup milk. I added in some vanilla and honey...tasted awful. I saw some recommendations for chocolate syrup or ovaltine. I have some Carnation Instant Breakfast packets and threw that in there. I'm pretty sure that made it worse. I am feeling some side effects though that I didn't feel last night (Likely due to the higher concentration of my mix). Overall I'm just really relaxed. I'm 2 shells/cups in with 2 yet to go tonight so I expect I'll be a slumbering fool when I hit the bed.

So far, I'd say the dirt taste is worth it. If you have trouble sleeping, I'd give this a shot. The only thing I don't like is how long it takes to prepare/how much you have to do.

What's interesting about your link, @BillsCarnage, is that it says to use hot water, and every other site I've seen says to never use hot water because it negatively affects the kavalactones (or whatever they're called). I think this would be much more palatable as a warm drink but I've seen so many times that it has to be kept cold/room temperature that I'm afraid to heat it.

10. BillsCarnage

BillsCarnage Registered

@Linderbee
    Yeah, the flavor sounds like an "acquired" taste ;)

Did you feel refreshed after sleeping? Sometimes I can sleep through the night, but rarely do I feel refreshed, if that makes sense. I don't always get good, deep sleep. The other thing is that I'm a side sleeper and will tend to put my arm up and wake up with a wicked knot in the shoulder. It's a diuretic like tea, so a trip or two to the toilet is probably expected :)

The kava from different islands seem to have different effects. I ended up ordering the sampler pack from CactusKava.com and it should be arriving today. :clapping:

Regarding that recipe, everything I'd read also suggested using room temp or cool water. The difference with that one is that he's getting all the dust out first which is the good stuff and basically the same as micronized kava. The hotter water, in theory, would help break open the remaining root pieces to extract more.

Going with the traditional method first and will report back too.

11. Linderbee

I rarely get deep sleep, either. I actually skip that cycle and go straight to dreaming...it really sucks. I honestly feel that I might be getting real sleep. I haven't woken up feeling hung over or anything--but I do feel rested--which is a fantastic change.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  12. Linderbee

Have you tried it yet?

It's such a hassle to make, and I really, really don't feel like it at bedtime. I have decided I'm going to make it up in the morning and put it in the fridge, so it's ready when I am.

13. BigRedRage

People were buying gallons to take home from the shop I was at so I am sure that is more than fine to do it that way.

Linderbee likes this.
  14. StreetTruckinTitan

StreetTruckinTitan Formerly NativeAZfan

Nutmeg is good for the destressing / calming effect to help induce sleep as well in small doses. Its a natural xanax. A 1/4 tsp mixed in warm milk before bed. Check it out on google.

Linderbee likes this.
  15. Linderbee

I'll give it a shot, much easier