Jrue Holiday

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by elindholm, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

BECAUSE HE'S 27.

2. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

Are you saying that's too old? In the NBA, players' value only extends until they become unrestricted free agents. So, if he will not be too old by the end of his present deal, I do not see it as an issue. If he was 22 and would become an UFA at 27, I would not consider him any more valuable (except maybe having more potential to improve).

3. SirStefan32

SirStefan32 Krycek, Alex Krycek

All caps doesn't make your argument any more clear, Chap. Can you elaborate what the problem is with a player who is 27?

4. Chaplin

Too old. Mike James was 27 -- sure he's not as good as Holiday, but Holiday isn't a world-beater either.

If we're going with youth, go with youth. If you want to get a middle-aged PG, then get one that is going to make a significant impact. I don't consider Holiday to fit that mold.

Ouchie-Z-Clown likes this.
  5. CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks Registered

At some point you need to surround the youth with solid vets. At the moment we have no talented youth at the PG position and thus it wouldn’t be a bad idea to add a solid veteran there.

Mainstreet likes this.
  6. SirStefan32

SirStefan32 Krycek, Alex Krycek

I wouldn't consider a 27 year old players to be "middle-aged." I'd say that a basketball player's prime starts at that age and goes until they are 32-33 or so. I understand not wanting a 32 year old player, but I think it's a mistake to assemble a team that consists of players not old enough to drink. In my opinion, 27 is about an ideal age for someone to join the Suns. Booker is an excellent player right now. Warren is a very good player right now. Someone just entering their prime would be a perfect fit.

Note, I am not talking specifically about this one player, as I am really not familiar with him enough. I am speaking in general terms here.

Mainstreet likes this.
  7. Phrazbit

Phrazbit Registered

Yeah, I'm not a Jrue fan, but a guy being 27 should not be a 'hard no' for our interest, not even close.

8. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

+1

9. Chaplin

Jrue Holiday being in his prime at age 27 isn't exactly part of my Most Wanted list of players.

Again, the point is that I don't even think Holiday is that solid. He's ok, but that's it. If this is his prime, then how much help do you think he will be? Especially at that price?

10. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

OK. I get the salary being too high. I get that you don't believe a player his age will not improve much--though many do. But if he is the player that fits as he currently performs, the age is not an issue to me.

All that said, I prefer Dinwiddie. Age, salary, size, and defense.

11. Chaplin

Makes no sense. Because when the team is able to compete for a championship (I say championship, and not playoffs), a 27-year-old player now will be past his prime then. How is that helpful for the future of this team?

12. Raze

Raze Registered

Just playing devil's advocate here, but Jason Kidd was ancient when he played for the Mavericks on their championship run. As long as the PG compliments the 2020 superstars in Booker, Bender, Chriss, Warren, and Jackson I'm ok with him.

13. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

31, 32 is still in a players prime, IMO. Usually see a drop off around 33.

That said, not crazy about getting Holiday to make us go from possibly 30 wins to 38. I think he keeps us running in mud moving forward.

Matt L likes this.
  14. Raze

Raze Registered

I wonder if there's a sensible way to send Monroe over for Dinwiddie. Obviously we'd be giving up the expiring contract, but if the kid will play for us like he's playing for Brooklyn it'd be worth it. We'd have to take on more salary to make it work, like Lin's 2 years $12M/yr.

Still, it'd be smart to kick the tires on it.

15. overseascardfan

overseascardfan Registered User

What is the age range for the current “time line”? Warren is the oldest core guy at 24. Is that the age range of guys they are looking to build with, I mean Bledsoe was 28 and Irving who they had a lot of interest this offseason for is 25.