Jobs, Jobs, Jobs!!

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by wa52lz, Dec 7, 2016.

1. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

The second is more likely in a country run by the rich.

2. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

Soylent Green

az240zz likes this.
  3. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen Moderator Contributor

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

4. Kel Varnsen

ajcardfan and nashman like this.
  5. Kel Varnsen

6. LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse Chad's got nothing on me!

FoxConn: They don't even hide themselves. It's right there in the name.

Look at all the other FoxConn "deals" around the world that also NEVER HAPPENED.

7. Kel Varnsen

8. Kel Varnsen

9. DWKB

DWKB Registered

A brief article in today's Democrat-Gazette reported the decision by Kimberly-Clark to slash its worldwide workforce by more than 10 percent, eliminating more than 5,000 jobs.

The company has facilities making disposable diapers and other products employing about 700 in Maumelle and Conway. The company has said the cuts will affect all operations. At the proportion announced, that could mean more than 70 jobs in Arkansas.

Noteworthy fact elaborated on elsewhere: these 5,000 job losses were enabled by the recent federal income tax cut. From the Washington Post:

Chief financial officer Maria Henry said the company’s gains from the tax overhaul would help offset the cost of the restructuring plan. The company had an effective tax rate of 28.6 percent in 2017, and the rate would drop to between 23 and 26 percent in 2018 as a result of congressional action, boosting year-over-year earnings growth by 6 points, she told analysts during a conference call to discuss recent financial results.

“We also anticipate ongoing annual cash flow benefits from tax reform,” Henry said. “That provides us flexibility to continue to allocate significant capital to shareholders while we also fund increased capital spending and our restructuring program over the next few years.”
    https://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBl...y-clark-slash-jobs-including-in-arkansas#more

10. Dback Jon

Dback Jon Killer Snail Contributor

http://www.wgem.com/story/37338545/2018/01/24/siemens-in-ft-madison-laying-off-about-195-employees

FORT MADISON, Ia. (WGEM) -

Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy informed employees at its Fort Madison plant Wednesday that it would be laying off about 195 employees, according to a company spokesperson.

In a news release, a spokesperson stated business volume at this location through the 2018 fiscal year did not support the existing workforce level.

"While we remain strongly committed to the long-term viability of the U.S. wind market," the release stated. "A difficult decision has been made to adjust the Fort Madison workforce by about 195 employees."

11. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

Pretty amazing story out there today about In N Out Burgers, turns out they pay their restaurant managers an average of over 160K a year. I knew they paid well, they start at 13 an hour which is over the state minimum wage in California easily, but I had no idea they paid that much to their management. I don't eat there often anymore but I won't feel guilty when I do now.

On the Solar tariffs, you almost have to wonder if people in the administration aren't shorting solar stocks? Even with the washing machines, experts are advising people if you might buy one in the near future, buy it now before the tariffs drive prices up, so those companies are going to see a bump in sales.

I haven't read all the fine print but on the surface it doesn't seem like this is really going to lead to protecting US jobs, prices will go up

12. Kel Varnsen

Surely, one of the greatest businessmen in history would have seen this coming, too, right?

LG Electronics Inc. has told retailers it plans to raise prices on its laundry appliances following President Donald Trump’s approval this week of steep tariffs on imported washing machines.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/lg-to-...-after-trump-imposes-steep-tariffs-1516819656

13. Beaver

Beaver Maximum Effort

What about dryers?!

14. Kel Varnsen

He doesn't know that they are separate machines.

15. MrYeahbut

MrYeahbut rilly bruh, rilly?? Contributor

Belongs in Boring Post thread, but my microwave took a dump. I need a new one. Better get it now.