Jazz @ Suns game thread 2-2-18

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Mainstreet, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

Lucky man. :)

Totally agree. The Suns should rest Booker and give up the idea of him playing PG this season. He has proven he can play PG in stretches if the need arises

I'm not so sure about Jackson playing PG. It would be much like playing Booker out of position.

I'd be content if Ulis and Gray finish out the season at PG. This team is going nowhere.

Ouchie-Z-Clown likes this.
  2. AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy Magnanimous

I'm beginning to think our scouting department needs an overhaul, and is towards the bottom of the league in terms of talent evaluation :(

3. Mainstreet

Sadly I've been thinking this way for awhile as well.

4. SirStefan32

SirStefan32 Krycek, Alex Krycek

Here you go!

• First three was wide open.
    • Drive on Gobert- notice how he kept him from getting close to the ball? It reminded me of TJ Warren. Bender knew the angle he needed to take- kept Rudy at a weird angle so he couldn't block the shot, and then kept the basketball far from Rudy's reach as well. The more I watch it, the more it looks like a Warren move.
    • 2nd and 3rd threes were impressive because he knew the defender was coming, and he didn't give a crap about it. Too often, he forgets that he is 7'1 with pretty long arms and a high release point. NOBODY is going to block your jumper with any kind of consistency.Sure, someone may get their finger on it once in a while, but it's not anything to worry about. Get the ball, get set, and shoot.
    • Assists start at the 49 second mark- he looked like C-Webb/ Vlade Divac/ Arvydas Sabonis there. BEAUTIFUL passes. The timing was perfect, passes were precise- it was amazing.THIS is why I want to see the offense got through Bender a few times per game. Whether it's the low post, elbow, or the top of the key, he can make plays.
    • Then there is another three with Gobert running at him- didn't phase him at all.
    • Two assists to Ulis were simple passes, so nothing fancy about them, but they were good, solid passes.
    • Second drive on Gobert was also really good. He got fouled, but I am not sure why he went to his right hand at the end.He dribbles just fine with the left, but perhaps he can't finish? Would have been an easy "And one" if he used his left hand.
    • Awesome pass to JJ at the end. Another Webber/ Divac/ Sabonis- type pass.

Not in the video, but his rebounding was really good. He was boxing out and grabbing rebounds. What surprised me a little was just how strong his rebounds were.
    He kind of reminded me of Len when he REALLY grabs a rebound.
    One other three point shot went in and out, and he missed two more due to his usual problem of moving backwards
    while shooting which causes the shot to be a bit short and flat.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    leclerc likes this.
  5. BC867

BC867 Long time Phoenician! Contributor

How true! Booker at Point Guard = fatigue = injuries. I like Triano, but no matter how dedicated he is, he is an interim Head Coach who has said repeatedly he does not want the job next season.

His focus is on this season. And wearing out Booker is showing that.

6. 3rdside

3rdside Registered

For all the moaning about mcd not being able to set up a roster, I’m actually pretty excited about the players we have and their ability to make passes.

If Booker, jackson and bender can all assist the ball, that’s a great thing for ball movement and team basketball, and probably also offsets the need for a pass first point guard, which I love but are really hard to come by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leclerc likes this.
  7. 3rdside

3rdside Registered

And for all that moaning about roster construction, Chriss has just been suspended a game for arguing with management:

Phoenix Suns plan to suspend forward Marquese Chriss for a game stemming from a verbal confrontation with an assistant coach, league sources tell ESPN.

8. leclerc

leclerc The smooth operator

That's what I am talking about. Let's get another game or two like this by Bender in February. Jackson seems to have a good thing going.

9. 3rdside

3rdside Registered

Call me optimistic but I’m sold on bender.

And he’s 6 months younger than Lauri markkanen is as twitter pointed out.

10. SirStefan32

I want to be sold on Bender, but these flashes of what he can do are way too rare this season. He has the skills, but I am not sold on his aggressiveness and desire.

SweetD likes this.
  11. Errntknght

Errntknght Registered User

We shouldn't feel too bad about the Jazz trouncing us... tonight they beat the Spurs missing Donovan Mitchell. They've been playing pretty bad without Rudy but against us it was like everyone was celebrating his return. I'm expecting them to go on tear now and, at least, put a good scare into someone in the postseason.

12. leclerc

leclerc The smooth operator

I think confidence will do wonders for Bender. He has increased his outside shooting percentage considerably. When he gets positive repeated experiences like from this game, he knows he can take people off the dribble and score inside, then it's easier to be aggressive. As I've said previously I had higher hopes for our second year players but really it's too early to give up on them. Ulis can be a nice backup point guard (he has to get stronger and get his 3pt percentage up to 40+) and both Chriss and Bender can be rotation players. I think Bender can be a solid starter. At least if he remembers to jump.

13. SirStefan32

I still think Bender is a 5 and not a 4. At least it appears that he doesn't stand in the corner waiting for the ball when he plays the five in Triano's system. That might be fixable, but right now he looks like a 5.

14. Mainstreet

I may be the only one who has this view but the light flashes on more when Bender plays center.

Then when he is switched to PF, it seems to carry over. I think he likes playing at the top of the key.

SirStefan32 likes this.
  15. Mainstreet

This is how I like to see Bender play whether it be at the 5 or 4 position.

CardsSunsDbacks and SirStefan32 like this.