Is Paul Goldschmidt past his prime?

Discussion in 'Arizona Diamondbacks' started by Dback Jon, Apr 21, 2018.

1. DWKB

DWKB Registered

So you think Goldy performing as usual would have been worth "6-8 more wins in the month of May" and you can prove it?

Otherwise, what's the point here?

2. DWKB

DWKB Registered

Well, you've successfully pivoted from your ******** "numbers" you threw out to a question of any analytical data at all. How very Republican of you Jon. You should work for Fox News.

3. 82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad 7 x 70

Have no idea... I’d say a more typical producing Goldy would’ve produced a few more W’s, but that’s just guessing of course.
    My comments were simply tossed into this debate to show that there seems to be a growing awareness of the hazards associated with too strict of a reliance upon data analytics. Data analytics most certainly has a place in pro sports. But according to the chatter on 98.7 the other day, at least in MLB, there appears to be a shift taking place, that is lessening that reliance and establishing a much more blended platform for decision-making...

4. DWKB

DWKB Registered

I don't know what I'm supposed to do with "chatter on 98.7". I don't know who that is or what they know or why I should listen to them to be honest. I know that the current WS champs certainly believe in analytics and so do many other very successful teams out there. I know that analytics broke the curse of the Bambino and the goat. So.....:shrug:

5. 82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad 7 x 70

I think the Dbacks “believe” in analytics as well...
    As for 98.7, it’s the local sports talk station and the official home of the Dbacks, Cardinals, Suns, Coyotes and ASU football. They do a pretty decent job and with only a few exceptions (Doug, Dave Burns), the hosts are quite informed and bring quality content and info.
    I believe you’re in Arkansas so could stream it if you like, by going to www.arizonasports.com.

Ronin likes this.
  6. BC867

BC867 Long time Phoenician! Contributor

The point, to me, is that I (as a fan) have wanted to know why Goldy dropped so drastically. There had to be a reason. And then why management took so long to figure it out.

And with Lamb, Souza and then Pollock missing from the heart of the order, all of the pressure fell on Goldy to be the lone power hitter driving in runs, which made the problem even worse and put pressure on the rest of the hitters. And the pitchers.

The proof? The D-backs went from being the first place team in the Division to the worst and ultimately dropping out of first place.

Now that the problem has apparently been identified, Goldy is on a tear and the D-backs are back in first place.

And if the obsession with analytics affected Goldy, common sense says that it affected most of the other hitters as well. The domino effect, whether winning or losing.

7. DWKB

DWKB Registered

I don’t even know what you’re trying to say.

Can you show that the DBacks would have won 6-8 games in May with an average Goldschmidt?

Not 2, not 5, and not 10, but 6-8?

This all starts with @Dback Jon stating t was “indisputable” that the DBacks list 6-8 games because of his slump.

I said that number is obviously disputable and he proceeded to turn the discussion into some attack on analytics that you and @82CardsGrad decide you need to pile on aboutfor some reason.

8. BC867

BC867 Long time Phoenician! Contributor

As you pointed out, the "6-8" quote was not mine. How can anyone prove how many games would have changed? It is a meaningless debate.

I was addressing the overall situation of the D-backs' pathetic hitting losing 1st place. And the role that the face of the organization played in that and how it affected the rest of the batting order. And the coaching staff for not solving it sooner. Are you disagreeing with that? If not, I'm not the one you should be addressing about the "6-8" quote.

9. 82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad 7 x 70

C'mon man... "piling on?" I merely offered some insight I had gathered over the airwaves... while also affirming your position by saying that the Dbacks also value analytics.

10. gimpy

gimpy ASFN Contributor Contributor

Oh, man.:confused::madarms::lmao::help::hammer::mulli::shrug::grabs:

11. Ronin

Ronin Quick to point out the obvious Contributor

12. Ronin

Ronin Quick to point out the obvious Contributor

13. AZ Native

AZ Native Living is Easy with Eyes Closed Contributor

Really DWKB? You are too smart to make these patronizing posts. If all front offices use analytics then who is benefiting from it?

Math has always been my favorite subject. I can do "mental math" like no one I know. I admit I love baseball and am probably "old school" since I have been watching it for over 60 years and enjoy the basics of baseball.

Obviously there is an advantage to using analytics but I just haven't caught up to it. So in the spirit of compromise and cooperation, I would like to delve into it more. Since you work for a baseball team I assume you have access to data that we do not. But do you think you could share some websites that the average fan can use and learn more about all these analytics stats? I am dead serious. I admit I am behind the times but I would like to try to catch up. This is your chance to educate me. I am ready to learn. No sarcasm, I am seriously ready to learn more about today's game and how it is managed.