Impressions of Games 1 & 2

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Harry, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Harry

Harry ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer

Overall the Cards look deep at WR, QB & RB. They look shallow at CB and possibly LB & OL. Dawson is a huge get at K. The special teams looked slightly improved. Perhaps more so if Logan gets back.

This might be the best set of wide receivers since the Cards had Fitz & Bolden on top the group. Ross looks like a non-entity. I think Ellington is the odd man out at RB, even though he can still make plays. They should try now to get a 7th rounder for him, though that's a long shot. F not he's a nice insurance policy until the 53 cut.

Gabbert shows the common multi-OCs syndrome. He looks confused under pressure & doesn't show downfield vision when on the run. However, given time from his protection, he can deliver. It would be interesting to see him play a quarter behind the top line. If he stays consistent he's hard to cut, especially if you're not certain Palmer returns next year. Time & experience with BA might turn him into a winner.

The CB issue remains though there is good news. Baker looks capable of covering the slot. So again it's the number 2 corner. Unless Bethel is ready the Cards are in trouble here. BA liked Ford in game 1. I didn't. I discount breakdowns due to failure to fully comprehend defensive alignment. Time can correct that. Ford was erratic when tackling. That's tougher to correct. Williams might be the worst CB the Cards have used in a game. Admit that mistake; move on.

The linebacking unit is not deep. Reddick has been more physical than I expected and should be useful. Capi shows flashes. Gallon played a bad 3rd quarter in game 2, but looked better in quarter 4. Bynes looks fine against the run, but defends the pass after it's caught. The rest of the backups have shown little.

I think Brazzie is lost at DE. I think NKdemchi looks decent, but it will be hard to replace CC. I've got to think the Cards will be weaker against the run.

The O-line first string looks fine in limited plays. With Wetzel starting at LT the second unit looks weak and terrible against a pass rush. They were embarrassed by the Raiders second unit D. Bergstrom, a 6 year vet, was the worst offender.

This year is tricky when it comes to depth. With cut downs happening so late if will be hard to grab people who can learn a system quickly enough. The Cards need to make the most out of the players they have.

So far they look as good as could be expected. Injuries or the lack thereof will likely tell the final story. D

daves, Mitch and Cardiac like this.
  2. Garthshort

Garthshort Registered User

Harry, disagree with your assessment of the OL. With three (or two if you disregard the last one) games left we'll get a better look. But imo, if we go with seven actives during the regular season, I think we're okay with Humphries, Iupati, Shipley, Boehm, Veldheer, Toner and Wetzel. But I think we'll know better in another two weeks.

3. Krangthebrain

Krangthebrain DPOY

Wetzel was starting at LT while Holden was the second string. I think you're confused here.

Nkemdiche looked more than decent. The run defense should be good with a healthy Badger and the return of Dansby. Bethea should be a positive run down defender as well.

PJ1 and daves like this.
  4. JeffGollin

JeffGollin Registered User

Defensively, my main concern was lack of coordinated effort defending short and intermediate zones against screens, misdirection runs and similar forms of strategerie.

If we can tighten up our defense of the short stuff, we should be more than OK.

Wildfire likes this.
  5. Reign Blood

Reign Blood Tattooed Hundredaire

Well...

BA wasn't calling the plays and Goodwill did it last year and Leftwich doing it against the Raiders. I see the team as a whole miles away from what they were last year in preseason. Last year we were all on Shipley and he turned the tables so..

You can look at the apple pie before the first slice.

6. Harry

Harry ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer

I had Wetzel starting. I was just trying to indicate that weakened the second unit. We'll see on the run defense. Nkemdiche needs to develop more technique. He is clearly strong & quick. However, he needs technique to learn to disengage with blockers or the mauling types will tie him up. As to O-line depth. Toner played well as did Wetzel. Ulrick & Bergstrom played poorly in my opinion. Your 7 may be enough, but look at how many they needed last year.

daves likes this.
  7. DVontel

DVontel Registered

I feel like we have had this problem since the start of the BA-era.

8. juza76

juza76 Registered

this josh bynes is impressing so far
    enough fast, big hitter,all around the field
    nice to notice someone in preseason having this kind of impact
    can be a quality depth guy

Mitch likes this.
  9. juza76

juza76 Registered

jarvis jones on the bubble

10. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 Skeptical

The offensive line goes
    Humphries
    Iupati
    Shipley
    Boehm
    Veldheer
    Wetzel
    Toner
    Dorian Johnson
    Holden is the ? IMO.

ILB looks bad but that is because there are only 3 quality options on the roster.

I actually disagree with you regarding the defensive line. I think they will struggle to get a pass rush more than defending the run.

The Cards will have a tough decision between Ellington and B Golden...Ellington might be a luxury as Golden seems to be a key special teamer.

11. BigRedRage

BigRedRage badass Contributor

I think Nkemdiche will play more of a dockett role with Josh Mauro taking on the campbell role of occupying 2 blockers at a time to give Nkemdiche more freedom.