If I win the Powerball/Mega Millions...

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by Krangthebrain, Jul 2, 2003.

1. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

I'll take everyone on the board to a Coyote's game when I win. At first I was thinking a Card's game, but then i realized if I won, I would own the Coyotes. :D

Brian in Mesa likes this.
  2. Hollywood

Hollywood is part black.

Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    It's that time again everyone. $500 million

I would tailgate with my friends at the Cardinals game.....in London

Dback Jon and Brian in Mesa like this.
  3. Reign Blood

Reign Blood Tattooed Hundredaire

I'm buying a house in Glendale just for the games then after the tailgates I'm inviting asfners to have a nightcap. Dreams...

4. Reign Blood

Well ya?

5. Reign Blood

Jenny...you never called me back even though your song is in the key of F#.

6. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa BIM™ Contributor

Powerball Jackpot Crosses $500 Million

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/powerball-jackpot-crosses-dollar500-million/ar-BBHQVyK?ocid=iehp

The Powerball jackpot leaped to $550 million after no winning tickets were sold for Wednesday's $460 million Powerball drawing. The winning numbers were 2, 18, 37, 39 and 42, and the Powerball number was 12.

The latest jackpot, which will be drawn Saturday, is the nation's 8th largest lottery prize ever. The odds of winning are one in 292.2 million. The cash prize would be almost $348 million.

Despite no jackpot winners Wednesday, Powerball said more than 3 million players across the nation won more than $30 million in prizes. One Florida player matched the first five white balls, worth $1 million, while another player won $2 million with a Powerplay ticket.

The largest Powerball jackpot was $1.6 billion split among winners in California, Florida and Tennessee in January 2016. The record Powerball winner for a single ticket buyer is $758 million, won by a Massachusetts woman in August last year.

7. Brian in Mesa

All she has to do to collect a $560 million lotto jackpot is make her name public. She refuses.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a...s-make-her-name-public-she-refuses/ar-BBJ4Jsr

The winning numbers triple-checked and the lottery ticket signed, the New Hampshire woman knew her life was about to change in a positive way — except for one petrifying thing.

The winning numbers triple-checked and the lottery ticket signed, the New Hampshire woman knew her life was about to change in a positive way — except for one petrifying thing.

But because of lottery rules, everyone in the world would know about it — neighbors, old high school friends, con artists, criminals.

Now the woman is asking a judge to let her keep the cash — and remain anonymous.

The case will be heard in a New Hampshire court on Tuesday, according to the New Hampshire Union Leader. Every day it remains unresolved, the lottery winner loses about $14,000 in interest. The total amount lost since the winning numbers were picked on Jan. 6 is quickly approaching the half-million-dollar mark.

In court documents obtained by NewHampshire.com, the plaintiff is fittingly identified only as Jane Doe.

“She is a longtime resident of New Hampshire and is an engaged community member,” the woman’s attorney, Steven Gordon, wrote in court documents. “She wishes to continue this work and the freedom to walk into a grocery store or attend public events without being known or targeted as the winner of a half-billion dollars.”

On one side of the case are lottery officials who say the integrity of the games depends on the public identification of winners as a protection against fraud and malfeasance. A local woman holding up a giant check while cameras flash and reporters scrawl also happens to be a powerful marketing tool.

On the other side is a woman suddenly faced with a life-changing stroke of luck who, court documents say, wishes to live “far from the glare and misfortune that has often fallen upon other lottery winners.”

The law doesn’t appear to be on her side.

New Hampshire lottery rules require the winner’s name, town and amount won be available for public information, in accordance with open-records laws.

“Petitioner’s understandable yearning for normalcy after entering a lottery to win hundreds of millions of dollars is not a sufficient basis to shut the public out of the business of government,” Assistant Attorney General John Conforti wrote in court documents.

The state allows people to form an anonymous trust, NewHampshire.com reported, but it’s a moot point for the woman — she signed her name on the back of the ticket shortly after winning, and altering the signature would nullify the ticket.

8. BigRedRage

BigRedRage badass Contributor

She must be well off already or something to be fighting so hard against having her name get out there.

9. cardncubfan

cardncubfan H

She is only losing interest that would be earned. It's not like she's losing any of the lottery $. She could also get a loan against the $ to get by on if she needed funds. I just think she really doesn't want anyone to know like relatives. :)

Southpaw and Linderbee like this.
  10. Southpaw

Southpaw Provocateur aka Wallyburger Contributor

11. Southpaw

Southpaw Provocateur aka Wallyburger Contributor

Easiest way to find long lost relatives you never knew you had.

cardncubfan likes this.
  12. AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy Magnanimous

I thought you could place the earnings in a trust and thus remain anonymous?

Southpaw likes this.
  13. Brian in Mesa

You can - even in her state - but, I guess she signed the ticket already (to protect it as her winnings). Now the lottery says she must claim it and have her name released. If she alters the name on the ticket it will be voided.

14. BigRedRage

BigRedRage badass Contributor

Shes not losing money but shes also living normal life. Just take the money, buy a new identity and go get involved in a new community lol

I would hire my protections (lawyers, consultants, etc) and cash that thing right away

Linderbee likes this.
  15. Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl Stand down Contributor

Yeah, that's crazy. Good to know though for when I win, lol.

AZ Native and Brian in Mesa like this.