I, Tonya

Discussion in 'Movies and Entertainment' started by Brian in Mesa, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa BIM™ Contributor

I, Tonya

Release date: December 8, 2017 (NY, LA)
    Studio: Neon
    Director: Craig Gillespie
    MPAA Rating: R (for pervasive language, violence, and some sexual content/nudity)
    Screenwriter: Steven Rogers
    Genre: Comedy, Biography

Starring: Margot Robbie, Sebastian Stan, Allison Janney, Paul Walter Hauser, Julianne Nicholson, Bobby Cannavale, McKenna Grace

Plot Summary: Based on unbelievable but true events, "I, Tonya" is the darkly comedic tale of American figure skater Tonya Harding and one of the most sensational scandals in sports history. Though Harding was the first American woman to complete a triple axel in competition, her legacy has forever been defined by her association with an infamous, ill-conceived and worse-executed attack on fellow Olympic competitor Nancy Kerrigan. Featuring an iconic turn by Margot Robbie as the fiery Harding, a mustachioed Sebastian Stan as her impetuous ex-husband Jeff Gillooly, and a tour-de-force performance from Allison Janney as her acid-tongued mother LaVona Golden, and an original screenplay by Steven Rogers, Craig Gillespie’s "I, Tonya" is an absurd, irreverent, and piercing portrayal of Harding’s life and career in all of its unchecked––and checkered––glory.

2. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero Registered User

Can't wait to see this. Looks hilarious.

Ronin likes this.
  3. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

heard wayyyyyyy too much hype for this movie before seeing it.

It was okay. My problem was Robbie seemed like she was playing Tonya Harding, instead of just BEING Tonya Harding.

I get that playing a real person will inevitably lead to this sort of thing, but I think of performances like Forrest Whitaker playing Idi Amien (that spelling can't possibly be right) and he literally disappeared into the role... or Jason Robards as Ben Bradlee or even Redford/Hoffman as Woodward and Bernstein. Just didn't feel like Robbie got there for this one.

And to be honest, the rest of the story... eh, seemed like someone was trying to make an epic out of a story that just wasn't epic in scale. and it just wasn't that compelling.

Shame... I like Gillespie as a director a lot. Pretty letdown here.

Absolute Zero likes this.
  4. Bert

Bert Bandwagon ASU Basketball Fan

UncleChris and Mainstreet like this.
  5. cheesebeef

They don’t do anything to villainize Kerrigan. That’s fake news.

But they it on THICK that Tonya was a victim of abuse her entire life. I don’t doubt it, but they did make her seem like an innocent lily as for the attack... and they intimate Gilooly might not have been aware totally either.

The movie just didn’t have any authentic feel to it, while trying very, very hard to feel authentic.

6. Bert

Was simply based off this part of the article:

"This bears repeating: In our #MeToo moment, how can Hollywood justifiably peddle such victim-blaming? It’s the equivalent of asking a rape victim why she wore such a short skirt, or a victim of harassment if she’d led on her perpetrator. The subtext is clear: Maybe if Kerrigan hadn’t been such a whiny, entitled bitch (her cries of “Whhhyyy?” after the clubbing are played for laughs), she wouldn’t have had it coming."

Especially since Kerrigan wasn't entitled at all. Her family was working class and her father actually worked 3 jobs at once at one point to pay for his daughters dreams.

7. cheesebeef

That’s someone with their own agenda injecting their own fake news into the article.

8. UncleChris

UncleChris Retirement Doesn't Suck Contributor

My sister saw the movie and came away with the same impression as the author of the article. She said it was implicit, but clear.

Maybe the eye of the beholder here? :shrug:

I guess it really doesn't matter, as I will never see this movie. The glorification of this unconvictced felon is something I want no part of.

Bert likes this.
  9. oaken1

oaken1 Stone Cold

Margot as Tonya??

Nah EFF that!

10. Bert

Exactly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Stout

Stout I gave my cards a victory...

Just got home from seeing this. You guys are really missing what this movie is. It is an absolutely BRILLIANT use of the unreliable narrator. It's trying to do this, it's calling Kerrigan that, it's making Harding a victim? The movie flat-out says ALL of it is complete BS and can't be trusted.

Man, did I LOVE this one. Laughed my ass off throughout. Thoroughly entertaining, and a great microscope to view the American media and viewing public through, as well as the idea that no one sees themselves as the villain in life.

12. cheesebeef

No... I got it. I just didn't think it was very good.

That said, I know I'm in the minority on this one. Most of my friends loved it too.

13. Stout

Stout I gave my cards a victory...

Hey, no worries. If everyone's opinion was the same...well, hive mind lol

14. AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy Magnanimous

Any movie with Margot Robbie in it is worth seeing.