I can Dream, can't I

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by SissyBoyFloyd, Feb 6, 2018.

1. SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd Registered

Do the best QBs have the best protection? When you look at the numbers Brady, Brees, Ryan and a few others puts up regularly, especially in the biggest games, the thing that amazes me most is the protection they get. Even against the teams with the best upfront men on D. They seem to rarely get pressure on those QBs. It is the protection right? Or is it that those QBs get rid of the ball more quickly than others? It seems more like the protection they are offered to me. A nicely formed pocket to step up into constantly, with a 3, 5, or 7 step drop.

I dream of the day the Cardinals place priority in building an OL that is that good and deep. I just can't understand for the life of me how any organization doesn't see that as a top priority and do whatever it takes to accomplish that basic goal. Is it simply that there aren't that many good OLmen to go around? If that is the case, then a bigger paycheck will acquire the best OL.

Maybe its much better to acquire a less expensive average QB who is protected constantly by a higher paid and better front line. Take a look at the teams with what could be great QBs but have poor OLs. I am thinking of the Colts as I type this. I would like to have a coaching staff that is, at the beginning at least, more concerned about our OL than which QB they get. Build the perfect OL first and then simply get an accurate QB who has time to quickly go through his progressions and deliver the ball on time. Who cares if it's a Alex Smith or Baker Mayfield. It won't matter. I truly believe that losing teams who are constantly looking for and changing qbs, never seeming to find the right fit (as they refer to it), refuse to first address their OL. They keep looking for that savior at QB to change their team's fortune. And the pundits keep reiterating that they need a more mobile QB or they need a QB with a bigger arm, when what they need is protection for whoever their QB is.

Remember: Trying is one thing, doing is another. My dream is that we finally do it. Excuses are for the unsuccessful. Excuses aren't needed when you accomplish your goals. NO EXCUSES! JUST DO IT! This would be my motto if I were the coach.

My next sermon will be entitled: TIME TRAVELERS - Why They Don't Exist .... or Do They?

jason_0891 and MrYeahbut like this.
  2. overseascardfan

overseascardfan Registered User

That’s what I don’t get. Pay Cousins $30M+ using up all your cap space when you need veteran help on OL. ARZ can draft OL as long as Keim doesn’t go for small school scrubs who can’t even make the PS.

3. RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin Registered

To be fair, the offensive lines in New England, and until recently New Orleans have not been that great. Its that Brady and Brees get the ball out so quickly.

I get what you are trying to say, but I certainly do not agree with it. I used to, but not anymore. Where did the high priced offensive lines for the Cowboys and Raiders get them ?

WisconsinCard likes this.
  4. SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd Registered

Got them a lot of wins they wouldn't have otherwise gotten while they figure out and solve their problems at other positions. Obviously, it takes more than just the OL. Got to keep your weapons healthy and suspension free, and address your major team weakness or weaknesses. It does help to have a D also. You can't address or build every part of your team at once. But OL is a great place to begin, IMO.

5. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

I don’t understand how people keeping asking “doesn’t the team understand the need to prioritize the oline?!?” This team spent two first round picks on olinemen (one of which was the #7 overall pick) in Cooper and Humphries. They threw big money at free agents like iupati and veldheer. They kept drafting linemen (watford, johnson, Holden, boehm, toner, in addition to cooper and Humphries). And they continued to try to bring in vets (Shipley and Boone). Did they all pan out? No. But it certainly isn’t for lack of trying.

6. RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin Registered

Its a conundrum for me honestly. Modern day NFL is..............weird.

7. Jasper

Jasper ASFN Contributor Contributor

A good oline helps the running game, which takes pressure off. Not necessarily giving the QB better protection.
    Great QBs read the defense pre-snap and get the ball out in 3 seconds like Warner used to do with an average oline.
    BA’s fault was going for biscuits, 5 step drops to 5 seconds before the ball gets out without an extra protector. No current oline can keep a clean pocket for that long.

8. gmabel830

gmabel830 It's football season!!

No, you cannot

9. THESMEL

THESMEL Registered

It’s both not either or - our 13-3 season had the nfl leading rusher in CJ - and made the oline look great - Jim Brown says that it’s the back that makes the oline famous not the other way around - regardless of the QB

Link

10. jf-08

jf-08 Administrator; Rules Creator Contributor

Of course Jim Brown would say that.

WisconsinCard and Linderbee like this.
  11. RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin Registered

There is some truth to it though, but Emmitt Smith is a classic example of the reverse being true.

12. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 Skeptical

My dream is that we trade two firsts for Andrew Luck, he returns healthy, and we have a top level QB for the next 10 years.

You need to improve your dreams.

13. DevonCardsFan

DevonCardsFan Registered User

Yes it's just Keims failure as a GM; Cooper was taken very high for a guard and many weren't sure if he was even the best Guard in the draft. They spent big money on Valdheer and Lupati as well. I think it's the lack of draft success of Olineman and over spending on 2 guys; too fix it.

What many forget is Superbowl year; Warner would got the ball out so fast; it hid the Oline woes; because Warner was able to dump the ball off before the pocket could even collapse on him, with RPOs reading the defense and picking them apart; adjusting the call as needed presnap.

You also have to look at the line Keim has put together. The strength for the Cards Oline was rushing the football, Most O lineman on this teams strength we're for rushing the Football and weak in passing protection. You can't put an Oline like that in front of slow Palmer; to drop back forever to not be killed.It also explains why guys like CJ2K were having success behind this O line.
    But it's also shows why I am glad Arians is gone he would force his system on the team as oppose to make a system that fits his teams strengths. At times he would completely abandon the run and turn the ball back over to the opposing team with quick 3 and outs, When this team with it's strengths were to run a smashmouth ground it out, Time of Possesion, limit the turnover style football. With DJ and a Line that was piss poor at Pass protection but could maul you In the run; combined with the best blocking Wr in Fitz, this team should of been running the football down teams throats; to open some deep pass attempts, Control the Clock, limit sacks to keep downs managable and to keep the D fresh and off the field. Instead Arians stuck to his way; which eventually killed Palmer and also was the reason Arians was ran out of Pitt.

I look forward to seeing what Wilks and McCoy bring both have said many times the importance of running the football. The Cards have there own Leveon Bell; it's time to make him the center piece and make a team that will run the ball down your throat and get a QB that has some elusiveness to help hide the Olines woes. Seahawks had a highschool Oline and Wilson was able to put up MVP numbers. Cards need a mobile QB and or a QB that can handle RPOs adjusting to attack the defense on how they see fit; after reading it presnap and adjusting to the play they feel best would attack the defense either run or pass. We saw the Success with Warner with it; We just saw Foles win a Superbowl with it. I am hoping for a new fresh Offensive scheme for this team and with this new scheme; that it can hide the lines ineffectiveness and to be less predictable, unlike against Arians, were the other team knew Palmer was going deep with a very exploitable Oline in front of him.

14. THESMEL

THESMEL Registered

Agree but no oline can do well long term passing too much - here fans pitching for a decade now about cards olines while we are last in rushing - under Whiz and BA - only years we were good we ran well - just like every team in the history of earth. My complaint is Cards fans, media and team not giving any credit to rbs at the time or years later - edge never mentioned in SB or playoff run, beanie in 09 nor CJ in our 13-3 season - unless I bring it up and take a beating by others- hope that changes - honor them