House votes to release Nunes' memo, but not the Democratic Memo

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by Dback Jon, Jan 29, 2018.

1. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

Stunned, I tell you.

Stunned!

2. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

It amounts to one party rule.

3. UncleChris

UncleChris Retirement Doesn't Suck Contributor

4. LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse Chad's got nothing on me!

GRIFTER.

5. Covert Rain

Covert Rain Father smelt of elderberries!

That was the plan all along by Democrats. They purposely included classified information. That accomplished two things. One they now have a talking point that Trump and his cronies are trying to block the truth. Second, it SUPPORTS the idea that the underlying information needs to be declassified for Americans to know the full truth.

It's a brilliant move. The Democrats knew it would be denied after the first review. Next step is to release the memo knowing it has redacted portions they can point to proving that the GOP memo was a complete lie.

If by some reason Trump intends to not release it at all? Well that will start a different firestorm all together.

Honestly, the GOP memo was a dirty and shrewd move to excite his base, confuse the public and cast doubt. This move is equally shrewd, calculated and brilliant IMO.

nashman and Joe L like this.
  6. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

Everytime you think things can't get more bizarre something like this happens. Trump is asked to release the GOP memo from Nunes and despite the advice of his experts to NOT release it, he does. His experts then do something highly unusual and publicly state that part of their objection to releasing the memo is that it's biased and factually incorrect in several areas.

The Dems now want to release their memo, which points out where the GOP memo is biased and factually incorrect, and now Trump decides to listen to his experts and NOT release it.

A House subcommittee has already voted to release the memo so Trump essentially overruled their vote. It could still be released but would require at least 24 Republicans in the House to vote for it and it's pretty unlikely they can get that to happen. Schiff has said that privately many GOP House members have told him they believe the memo should be released, but they don't want to go against Trump.

It's also another preposterous example of the lack of checks and balances that the man who on Twitter blasted Schiff as being a liar and a leaker, was the one who has the power to decide whether Schiff's memo would be released. He can't even pretend to be impartial.

7. Beaver

Beaver Maximum Effort

Cannot wait until this ahole is gone.

8. Covert Rain

I do not believe Dems had any expectations this was going to be released in attempt 1 no matter what they say. Even Trey Gowdy called it, insinuated that is what Republicans expected (Dems including classified info) and that's exactly what the DOJ is saying happened. It was reviewed evidently by Rod Rosenstein. I think it's a brilliant move IMO.

9. Russ Smith

Entirely possible that's correct but it's still amazing to me that this is still happening. I don't think Trump refused because of classified info and the advice of the FBI or DOJ to NOT release it. I think he didn't release it because he doesn't want it to get out how as proof that the Nunes memo is hot garbage.

I agree it's potentially a brilliant move by the Dems, but the fact that our system ALLOWS a man who publicly called Schiff a liar and a leaker to then make the decision on whether to release or not, after it was widely reported that Trump had told people he wasn't going to release it, in effect admitting he was just pretending to consider it before saying no. The longer Trump is in office the more he exposes all the loopholes in our system of checks and balances. That may be the only redeeming feature of his term, that he shows us if we elect someone who has absolutely no conscience and no interest in doing the right thing for the country, we need to change our system to counter how much damage they can do.

Maybe we need a government more like the Vikings, they seemed to have a more "effective" way of dealing with people like Trump at least from the tv show (-:

Linderbee likes this.
  10. Covert Rain

Doesn't he play into Democrats hands either way? You refuse to release the memo, you are hiding the truth, lying and it proves that Trump is guilty. It in essence reverses any doubt that the GOP memo brought up. If it gets heavily redacted, you still have the talking point that Dems are countering with their own opinion memo but they tried to include the classified information that proves them right.

Either way, I see this helping Democrats.

P.S. Where is RAGNAR when you need him. LOL.

nashman likes this.
  11. Russ Smith

Yeah we discovered that show about 10 days ago and are midway through season 4 now. Great show and yeah Ragnar would handle this much better.

Covert Rain likes this.
  12. UncleChris

UncleChris Retirement Doesn't Suck Contributor

One way or the other, the D's memo will see the light of day......

Covert Rain likes this.
  13. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

Nope. Dropped the news on Friday night. By Monday, there will inevitably be the next side show up and running from his circus to move the issue and by the time he ever releases a redacted version it will be yesterday’s news and if Democrats bring it back up months from now, it just allows the GOP to just lie about everything. They hit first. The American Public doesn’t care about retractions.

Especially because the Democrats messaging approach ALWAYS sucks. The GOP message was simple: The memo vindicates Trump and the FBI is corrupt!

You just know the Dems will get bogged down in details and that’s when America starts to tune them out.

Hope I’m wrong but I’ve got no faith in my party right about now.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  14. TJ

TJ Swaggy Head Coach

It will be in an unmarked envelope in front of the NYT on Monday

15. Covert Rain

Exactly worst case scenario it leaks! It’s impossible that the Democrats didn’t know that information in the memo was classified and wouldn’t be redacted. Which means they did it on purpose.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    nashman likes this.