Hornets @ Suns game thread 2-4-18

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Mainstreet, Feb 3, 2018.

1. SirStefan32

SirStefan32 Krycek, Alex Krycek

Jackson and Bender are looking great! I was really impressed. Booker looked like Steve Nash in the first quarter. I swear he had five or six assists in the first 10 minutes or so. I do wish they'd sit Booker for a couple of games to fully heal.

Mainstreet likes this.
  2. SirStefan32

I completely agree. Having Booker get used to playing point is a good thing. Whoever the point guard is, the offense is going to go through Booker a lot. There is no harm in getting Booker used to being the primary ball-handler.

3. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

On Booker.

4. ColdPickleNachos

ColdPickleNachos Registered

That's good. I want Booker to feel that way. I also want the coaches to look out for his long-term health.

Poop Head and SirStefan32 like this.
  5. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

As much as I’d love to see him rest...not only for his health, but upping the likelihood of losses for a stretch... I love that he lives to hoop. The great... like ALL-TIME greats have a thirst to play and win that can never be quenched.

Dude has it.

6. SirStefan32

I couldn't agree more.

7. Mainstreet

Of course. I want Booker to want to play but the coaches need to do what is best for Booker.

I do not want the coaches to rush him back and it turn into something more serious. This is the second injury to the same area.

8. BC867

BC867 Long time Phoenician! Contributor

I still feel that he needs to drop out of the 3-point contest at the All Star game. It is concentrated pressure which, when added to his recurring injuries, will will make it worse for the rest of the season.

Even if it helps the 2nd half tank, it won't help the Suns overall to have their best player wearing out before he is old enough to vote.

9. Mainstreet

I think the potential problem is Booker getting injured again while he is recovering from a reported hip pointer and rib injury.

His participation in the 3-point contest is not something I worry about.

https://arizonasports.com/story/1404915/suns-devin-booker-leaves-vs-hornets-taking-knee-hip/

10. BC867

With Annie's V.P. presence in the Suns front office, as well as with the Mercury, I hope she convinces the powers that be that Kevin Ray, as an NBA play-by-play announcer, is minor league. If Tom Leander deserved to be demoted, KRay deserves it more.

I appreciate and respect promotions from within ... if the candidate has the skills. I've posted in the past how Ray's half sentences (ultimately finishing some and letting others just drift), drive me bonkers. Evidently Annie, too. It is Ray's job, in addition to calling play-by-play, to set the pace in the "booth", to make it easy for EJ or Annie to come in and out. He fails miserably in that regard.

It is not as bad as Steve Albert's complete lack of knowledge of what was happening on the court or his 1950's New Yawk "humor" (which doesn't belong in Arizona), but KRay being 'not as bad' is not good enough. Better than piss poor is still poor.

Where is it written that Sarver's Suns have to lead the league in so many categories of lack of talent? Another cheap move. :(

11. Mainstreet

It wasn't a biggie.

I liked that Annie stuck with her version of a play when Ray spun it differently. Then she came back and repeated what she said not to be denied.

I'm just so happy the Suns moved on from Steve Albert.

There are worse announcers than the Suns play-by-play announcers.

12. BC867

The hassle of the trip and, what should be, practice over the next two weeks for the unique skill of making as many 3-pointers as possible in a short time from five places on the court is indeed rushing him back.

DBook will have plenty of opportunities in the future to shine at All Star weekends, unless he is run into the ground before he is 21.

That is also why I don't think it is a good idea to turn our leading scorer into a Point Guard this early in his career. It just encourages the Front Office to not fulfill their responsibility of providing a well rounded roster. Overworking DBook at the age of 20 is lazy management.

13. SirStefan32

Oh Good Lord, shooting a few threes is not going to hurt him. This is ridiculous!

Poop Head and CardsSunsDbacks like this.
  14. BC867

I hope you're right, Stef.

15. Poop Head

Poop Head Poster formerly known as kingdad

The All-Star game is in LA. Booker will most likely be flying in a private jet and staying in a 5 star suite, and that flight is just over an hour. That's not much of a trip for someone from Phoenix. I've driven there and back in the same day.

If you don't think he'll be shooting in the gym during All-Star weekend anyways then you must not know how much Booker loves to play. Instead of doing it in a gym he'll be doing it in front of millions. It's less pressure than carrying the entire franchise game after game. He just turned 21 this year, he'll be fine.

However I do agree that they should lay off the idea of playing him as a PG. Playing him during the 4th in competitive games at PG to have more shooters/scorers on the floor is one thing but starting him at PG and forcing him to create for others while looking to create for himself also it a bit much. I think it could make him a better scorer down the line though.

Mainstreet likes this.