Here I go

Discussion in 'Body and Health' started by AZ Native, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Linderbee

Linderbee Let's GO, CARDINALS! Contributor

Great job! I'm trying to watch what I eat/take in 1200 calories a day (which, if you're eating healthy, is actually plenty). I don't get much/any exercise, but I did lose 10 lbs this week--which, like you said, are the easy lbs. BUT, I'm going to keep on, keepin' on & get there eventually!

Managed to budget in a jumbo jack <Free jumbo jack when the Cards get a sack!> today (only 490 cals) and that was nice. Just got an iced tea to drink (you have to buy a large drink).

thirty-two, AZ Native and cardncubfan like this.
  2. AZ Native

AZ Native Living is Easy with Eyes Closed Contributor

Great start!!!!!

Linderbee likes this.
  3. AZ Native

When I decided to start this journey I talked to my doctor and he told me to walk 3 miles a day for 2 weeks and check back with him. So today I called him and said "Doc, I'm 42 miles from home. What do I do now"? But seriously folks, I walked 3 miles each day, watched what I ate and lost 3 pounds last week. So 10 down and 65 to go. I will check back year after the holidays.

jf-08, bankybruce, MrYeahbut and 6 others like this.
  4. Linderbee

I laughed harder at that than I should have.

AZ Native likes this.
  5. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

I'm especially proud of you because you are doing it the right way. Changing one's lifestyle can be the hardest part.

cardncubfan and AZ Native like this.
  6. Bada0Bing

Bada0Bing Don't Stop Believin'

Nice work man, keep it up!

I think you've hit on 2 of the most important ideas for successful weight loss, consistency and having a meaningful goal. You will find there are many people in the same boat when you participate in Pats Run. It's a great event for all levels. And to help remain consistent, you might want to try a training app like Strava. You can track your walks and eventually your runs. You can see the miles pile up and your times decreasing. You can even set new PRs as you get faster if your routes contain any segments, or you can create your own.

I'll throw in my 2 cents about diet. Don't eat anything with more than 5 ingredients. That should keep your gut healthy, which affects everything else.

AZ Native likes this.
  7. AZ Native

Well it's been 4 months since I checked in, and there is a reason. I lost 10 pounds very quickly then went through the holiday and did OK. I kept walking and watching my food intake but in February I think I re-injured my MCL on my right knee. I could barely put pressure on it to walk. I still tried to watch what I ate but i put on 5 lbs which made my net loss only 5 lbs in 3 months despite my efforts. I was able to start walking again about 10 days before Pat's Run (which I signed up for months ago) and I walked the 4.2 miles at about a 3.5 mph pace. But I finished, and felt better about myself. My goal is to run a little next year, I will be 67. So the bottom line is I have lost 15 lbs in 5 months and still have 50 lbs to lose to meet my goal. This has been much more of a struggle than I ever imagined.

Linderbee likes this.
  8. Linderbee

My story is similar to yours, except I don't have an injury, nor am I ahead now, lol...but I'm down 8 lbs. Sigh. It IS STUPID HARD, and only gets harder the older you get.

9. AZ Native

I feel for you Linder.

Linderbee likes this.
  10. Bada0Bing

Bada0Bing Don't Stop Believin'

Keep at it AZ Native. Bicycling is great crosstraining while you're building up your tolerance to walking fast.

AZ Native likes this.
  11. BillsCarnage

BillsCarnage Registered

Yup. Once I was cleared with my knee I've been doing a 7mi ride 4-5 days a week in the morning. And, since I work at home most of the time, I finally got my walk station setup.

I set it at 1mph and try to do 3hrs on, 1hr off, 2-3hrs on again. So far I've been successful for the first 3hrs. :D

Walk+Station.jpg

12. unseenaz

unseenaz Registered

dude that's incredible, great work

BillsCarnage likes this.