Here I go

Discussion in 'Body and Health' started by AZ Native, Nov 30, 2017.

1. AZ Native

AZ Native Living is Easy with Eyes Closed Contributor

Well, it has finally hit me after all these years. I have to lose some weight, period. I am now 66 years old and I just discovered that I have doubled my weight from the day I enlisted into the service as a 19 year old. Even 20 years ago I was OK with my weight (under 190). But now it is ridiculous. When I tie my shoes I have to come up for air, when I get my shoes shined I have to take the guy's word for it, when I step on a scale it says "one at a time please". I cannot take it anymore.

My neighbors have lost weight on Nutrisystem. I am retired and don't have $300 a month extra to throw at a diet I probably won't follow anyway. I have known my whole life that the key is to watch what you eat and exercise to control your weight. Sounds easy, but I seem to have zero motivation to do it even though I know it is affecting my livelihood.

I feel like I am dying, slowly, and I want to live so much, like I used to.

I came up with a plan. I am out of town right now but will be attending the Cardinals' game on Sunday and living it up.

Then Monday, I will start my journey. I will watch what I eat, follow a diet (somewhat of a modified South Beach diet), and I will begin exercising as I never have before. I have to do something.

I know this is a bad time to start this, but I feel a sense of urgency based on my weight.

Any suggestions or comments will be welcomed.

cardncubfan, MrYeahbut and Beaver like this.
  2. 82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad 7 x 70

Congrats on making a critically important decision! I have lost 40 pounds over the past two years. Started at 230 and am now at 190, sometimes touching 189...
    I connected with a guy based here in AZ who is a genius and started a program called The Fit Father Project (www.fitfatherproject.com). It’s cheap, easy to follow and it works.
    As for tips:

- Be real with yourself and know that you will have days where you are on point, and days when you’re not. But stay focused on the longer term and remain committed!

- Portion control is vitally important!

- Drink tons of water, beginning when you first get out of bed (before you eat anything). You literally can’t drink enough water.

Best of luck!!

AZ Native likes this.
  3. WaywardFan

WaywardFan Even Better Than You Know Contributor

Get some sort of calorie counter app. I use Lose It (the free version). You can set a weight loss goal and that determines your daily calorie intake. Log everything. Simply logging everything gives you awareness of what you're eating.

Weigh yourself regularly, but not too often. Weight fluctuates on any given day, but you're looking for the trend. I weighed myself once a week at the same time. You can input the scale results into your app.

Exercise regularly. Doesn't have to be anything exotic. Just walk. Plug that activity into your app. Getting a step counter (especially one that connects to the calorie app) helps as well.

Eat smaller portions, drink more water.

AZ Native likes this.
  4. Beaver

Beaver Maximum Effort

I like the myfitnesspal app and also highly suggest walking at a brisk pace everyday.

AZ Native likes this.
  5. BigRedRage

BigRedRage badass Contributor

Good luck to you. My primary advice, eat real food and exercise. A big reason we all get fat, including me at times, is the American diet. People shop in the center aisles at the grocery, everything is full of chemicals and sugars and etc. Sticking to raw, real foods makes a big difference. Then drinking nothing but water and tea.

6. Dback Jon

Dback Jon Killer Snail Contributor

Good luck I need to lose about 20 pounds myself

AZ Native likes this.
  7. Dback Jon

My first step is I've been very conscience about getting at least 10,000 steps a day Trying to push it up to 11 or 12 and then keep going from there I am walking right now

But make sure you don't overdo it at the very first get too sore to continue and then get discouraged

AZ Native likes this.
  8. BillsCarnage

BillsCarnage Registered

This.
    Actually you can drink too much water and it's bad for your brain. Essentially you water log your brain which can swell the tissue causing all kinds of problems. It's called Water Intoxication/Hyponatremia. It can also overwork the kidneys.

And this.

Don't dive right in to crazy exercise. You'll burn yourself our before you get started. Also, don't be surprised if you gain some weight early on as your body will replace fat with muscle.

I'm a big fan of walking. Like Beaver suggests try two brisk walks to get your body adjusted. Maybe a mile or two each.

Changing habits takes time.

Once I get an extra room for an actual office, I'm going to build a walk station. Set it at about a half mile and hour and walk all day.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    AZ Native likes this.
  9. AZ Native

Thanks for the suggestions and support. I especially liked the part about doing too much at first and burning out. When I get home (no internet at my son's place in the woods near Bonanza Oregon) I will take your suggestions and make a plan. Thanks again.

10. DeAnna

DeAnna Just A Face in The Crowd

I have been dieting (practically) my entire life. I had POCS when younger, and diabetes runs rampart on my mother's side of the family. I used to be able to control it with spending hours at the gym, but studies now show weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. I've done low-carb, Atkins, SoBeach, NutriSystem, Vegan, Pegan - you name it.

I use MyFitnessPal but logging in every.single.morsel.of.food got tedious very fast but at least it gave me an idea of how many calories I was actually taking in (eye-opener!).

Lately I just try to eat whole foods and take a pro-biotic. Haven't eaten any junk food in months nor processed foods, and limit red meat (tailgating is hard!). Which means a lot of home cooked meals, lol. To satisfy my sweet tooth, I now eat 2 dates (max) with some walnuts.

Good luck!

AZ Native likes this.
  11. Dback Jon

Also - make sure you have good footwear. I tried the walking bit without it, and that didn't go too well.

AZ Native likes this.
  12. jf-08

jf-08 Administrator; Rules Creator Contributor

Read the book The Obesity Code. It will change the way you look at food - artificial sweeteners are the devil.

BigRedRage likes this.
  13. MrYeahbut

MrYeahbut rilly bruh, rilly?? Contributor

@AZ Native

I've just never been able to stick with an exercise program for any length of time. Just not in my mindset. I do walk playing golf which is about 3 miles once a week or so.

I've lost weight recently by just changing my diet... I just quit eating all the junk food I used to consume... burgers, fries, chips, Snickers, cookies, cut my red meat, dairy and sugar intake in half. Man, I still have cravings for sweets and that's been the toughest part for me. I was at about 185, I've touched 168.. Feeling much better now.

You can do it. I'm pulling for you bro!! I'm coming over for the Giant game, if you're there I'll come give you a man hug! :D

AZ Native likes this.
  14. AZ Native

Well, I had a few beers before and after the Cardinals game and ate pizza and wings for dinner. Starting a new mindset today (That's the plan). I went on a walk today, which seemed brisk to me, but I am so far out of shape, who knows. I used the mapmywalk today as I have not had time to research others. I walked 3.08 miles with mile 1 in 18:59, mile 2 in 19:16 and mile 3 in 18:17. It said i burnt 531 calories and walked 6.4K steps.

I have never used any kind of app before so I don't know if this is bad, good or even accurate.

After I weighed this morning the moment of truth hit me when I realize I have to lose 75 lbs to meet my goal. I had not weighed myself in a long time, probably because I knew I was gaining weight. I have to meet it head on if I am going to do this.

I am also making adjustments to my diet. I discussed it with my wife and she is supportive and fully onboard as she is a type 1 diabetic and this is better for her too. But to be honest, she has always watched what she ate a lot better than I did.

Of course I will not bore you with daily updates but I will check in once in a while.

Like I said, I appreciate the suggestions and support here. Other than my wife, all I have heard is "you'll never stay on it", "it is easier just to be fat", "If you lose weight, you will just gain it back" etc.

And those are my relatives and friends.

I am serious about this and am doing it for myself, not to prove them wrong.

Thanks again.

jf-08, cardncubfan and Mainstreet like this.
  15. 82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad 7 x 70

Great start AZ Native! I strongly suggest you stay committed to weighing yourself each morning. It creates awareness and accountability!
    And, I would argue that it's actually tougher to "just be fat..." Getting and remaining healthy is a lot easier than people think and once you get there, the benefits are endless and completely overshadow anything being fat and out of shape can offer...

AZ Native and Mainstreet like this.