HDR TV

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by BigRedRage, Mar 13, 2017.

1. dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks Chopped Liver Moderator Contributor

I did through a verified 3rd party seller to get Amazon's warranty but not have to pay sales tax. ;)

2. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

Working the system! :thumbup:

3. BillsCarnage

BillsCarnage Registered

I've been wanting that one for so long. Such a beauty!

4. BigRedRage

BigRedRage badass Contributor

I think it is solely to make the screens pop in the store, you would think it would be disabled on boxed TVs though

5. Covert Rain

Covert Rain Father smelt of elderberries!

Finally got my mother to purchase a new TV. Bought an LG with HDR and Dolby Vision. It's an amazing TV. Like mentioned above though, need to turn off LG's TruMotion. It can only be done from the EXPERT menu but it gets rid of the Soap Opera effect.

For the longest time she kept saying she doesn't need one of those fancy TV's. Now that she has this thing? She loves it. You can ask it to find certain shows and boom...it finds them and even lets you put on a reminder. She is in total awe of what it can do and how it looks.

6. Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones Has No Time For Love

Hey DCR....

What was your deciding factors for picking up the OLED? I have been doing some deep research and the burn in issues really concern me. Especially with all of the sports I watch. Score lines, static graphics, and scrolling bottom lines could become a quick problem for me.

Check this out: https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/permanent-image-retention-burn-in-lcd-oled

7. Linderbee

Linderbee Let's GO, CARDINALS! Contributor

8. Covert Rain

I know you asked dream but for me the deciding factor always is quality of the picture. Hands down OLED blows anything out of the water.

9. Dr. Jones

I do agree that they have the best picture. My issue though is..... How long will that picture last? When I spend $2,000 I dont want to have issues 18 months in. It's like buying a bed. They all are awesome in the beginning then they go to hell about 2 years after you buy it.

Just scares me. I would rather wait for them to perfect it.

10. dreamcastrocks

Let's see. Best overall picture. Outstanding black levels. Good contrast. Highest rated TVs by Consumer Reports for years now.

Honestly though, the real deciding factor is that my friend had the 2016 model so I got to see it in person quite a bit. I doubt I would have bought the OLED without seeing it up close so many times.

11. Covert Rain

I would suggest going to AVSform.com and check out the threads for the specific model you are buying. From what I have read, talk to and witnessed, I have not seen any issues with burn in. That's not to say if you leave a static image on the TV long enough it won't happen but regular viewing? I have not personally heard any complaints from friends or otherwise.

OLED is fairly new and it's possible that it's just not road tested long enough yet. Having said that, people warned of burn in with Plasma and LCD and I never had a single issues on those sets either.

12. Dr. Jones

Thanks. I personally love the OLED's and want to pull the trigger. I'm probably getting the 55 inch E7p. My wife likes the sound bar and will probably use it more as she hates 5.1 or 7.2.

13. dreamcastrocks

I personally went away from the E series because I already have surround sound and the built in sound bar is way overpriced for what you can buy on the secondary market.

Divorce your wife if she hates surround sound. ;)

14. Dr. Jones

15. BillsCarnage

BillsCarnage Registered

Almost 10yrs with my plasma and any burn in I've had, I've been able to remove with the protection cleaner. That was my concern with getting plasma, but I just let the wipe cleaner run for a min or two and it's gone.

The new test will be much more real-world accurate and I'll be curious to see the results, but they should be quite different from the first test.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018