Hawks @ Suns game thread 1-2-18

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Mainstreet, Jan 1, 2018.

1. SirStefan32

SirStefan32 Krycek, Alex Krycek

I hope he can keep up the great work he's been doing the last few games.

2. elindholm

elindholm rehabilitated

The way things are going, the Suns are going to have a hard time competing for a top draft pick, but it's nice to see the young core lead a gutsy victory.

3. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

Nice to read a lights come on for Chriss... at least for now.

4. ColdPickleNachos

ColdPickleNachos Registered

I think the big takeaway here is that Slinslin is always right.

(Bracing for backlash from those who don't read here that I'm being facetious)

5. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

Slin would be proud about chriss. ;)

I always found his evaluations concerning players in the draft to be mostly accurate less some bias.

However, the worry is he is right on Bender. Hope he is wrong on this one.

ColdPickleNachos likes this.
  6. ColdPickleNachos

Well, considering we seemed collectively ready to get rid of Chriss as recently as a week ago, I'll hold out hope for Bender to turn it around. But if he's not an all-star by 22, I'm done with him!

If I remember correctly, Slin was pretty low on Porzingis as recently as last summer, so that bodes well haha

leclerc and Mainstreet like this.
  7. BC867

BC867 Long time Phoenician! Contributor

I agree. Building a winning mentality is our top priority to moving up. Discovering which of our young guys show potential is next. And, if we don't luck out in the draft, it's up to the Front Office to use our abundance of young players to pick up some mid-career role players.

I think our immediate priority is finding a rotation that doesn't force us to play catchup every game. That can wear down a team. We had to go on a roll at the end of both halves (as we've done recently in 4th quarters) to win tonight. That is not the way to train young players.

8. SirStefan32

SirStefan32 Krycek, Alex Krycek

They need a point guard who can shoot and defend. That is one gigantic whole in the starting lineup. They may need a Center next year as well, but they really need a competent point guard.

82CardsGrad likes this.
  9. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

You know he might not be able to post here but he is still lurking. He is reading this right now.

10. ColdPickleNachos

I'm cool with that. I like Slin as a poster; I think he has a lot of good insight. But I'm always going to poke (hopefully harmless) fun at those who regard subjective matters with certainty. Not meant to be an attack, and Slin (if you are indeed reading this) please do not take it as such. :)

I just thought it was funny that the heated argument that caused problems was about him saying Chriss is clearly better than Bender and then all of a sudden Chriss starts to break through as Bender takes a step back.

11. elindholm

elindholm rehabilitated

Slinslin is gone. Only his ghost continues to Haunt us.

To be honest, I understand his frustration. Certain things are subjective and certain things aren't. It's hard to have a discussion when people refuse to agree that some things are objective.

"Two plus two is four."
    "I think it's five."
    "You're wrong. I can cite many sources saying that it's four."
    "It's just an opinion. I'm entitled to mine just as you are entitled to yours."
    "The sum of two plus two is not a matter of opinion. It is a mathematical fact. It is foolish to argue for anything other than four."
    "Well, I saw a two and a two together and they looked like five to me. I guess we're just seeing different things."
    "No we aren't. What you are seeing is contrary to fact."

And so on.

12. ColdPickleNachos

Totally agree on that. However, the superior player between Chriss and Bender is certainly not on the list of objective truths.

I'll stipulate that "subjective matters" refers to things that are truly deserving of the subjective title. We're not talking global warming here though; we're parsing stats of two struggling 20-year-olds.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  13. Errntknght

Errntknght Registered User

Slinslin favored athleticism over most anything else a player might have. That kind of explains his takes on Chriss, Bender and even Porzingis. He also had great faith in RPM stats - and faith is what they require as the math is too complex to foster understanding.

14. Phrazbit

Phrazbit Registered

Top end potential, that is up for debate, but for the moment Chris's has been the superior player, and it's hard to say that isn't subjective, even if Chriss is taking that title by default.

15. Superbone

Superbone Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan

For a small crowd, you guys sure made a lot of noise at the end! I liked the Booker MVP chant.