Gerrymandering History?

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by Covert Rain, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Covert Rain

Covert Rain Father smelt of elderberries!

This could be the first blow. Federal Appeals court ruled that the districts were unconstitutional essentially saying that politicians picking their voters isn't going to be the norm any longer.

This is a great first step. Regardless of party, district lines should be drawn on a grid and definitely independently. In this case, I believe they are ordering the group responsible to redraw them.

I hope Congress passes a law to make this a federal standard but until that time, I bet that we are going to see many cases over the next few years with this one setting the way forward.

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/09/politics/north-carolina-gerrymandering-case/index.html

LoyaltyisaCurse likes this.
  2. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

Kudos to Judge Wynn. Let's hope the appeal strikes out.

Covert Rain likes this.
  3. UncleChris

UncleChris Retirement Doesn't Suck Contributor

The federal government should set the rules for voting for federal officials and an equally represented commission from the feds should determine congressional boundaries, with zero consideration for where existing congressmen live.

This is about people.

LoyaltyisaCurse likes this.
  4. Covert Rain

This. So even though these cases can keep getting brought to court and the boundaries thrown out, there is still going to be zero consistency with the "how" of it all. How will these be drawn and by who?

Federal standards for how and who need to be there or this is going to be a turnstile of court battles until it does. Kudos to our judiciary. This is probably the one chance people had to return the vote back to the people across the country.

To me Gerrymandering, Citizens United and Lobbying in general are the biggest issues in our government today.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    UncleChris likes this.
  5. Dback Jon

Dback Jon Killer Snail Contributor

A glimmer of hope for democracy

Covert Rain likes this.
  6. LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse Chad's got nothing on me!

Too bad they waited 20 years to consider doing something about this. The GOP likes to tout the BS about a rigged system and they are the ones who truly rigged it.

devilalum and Covert Rain like this.
  7. LVG

LVG Who?! Contributor

I don't disagree with what you're saying at all; but I must point out that what you're proposing is unconstitutional. The states have the power to set their own districts, and nothing in the Constitution would allow the feds to forcibly take that power from the states (absent a constitutional amendment).

The farthest the federal government can go is to declare gerrymandering a violation of an individual's constitutional rights then throw out the boundaries, ordering new ones be drawn.

What we're doing is moving from a federalist system to a unified national government, albeit slowly and often through the courts rather than through constitutional amendment.

8. Dback Jon

We've been doing via constitutional amendment - the courts are just enforcing the amendments (one person one vote, etc).

9. LVG

LVG Who?! Contributor

You missed my point. I'm saying the Feds do not have the power to interject and wrest control from the state, other than declaring the boundaries unconstitutional.

10. AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy Magnanimous

Lobbying just needs to be outright banned. Seems its only purpose is to just fulfill greed.

Covert Rain likes this.
  11. Dback Jon

Which I agree with

12. Covert Rain

The devil is in the details. Setting regulations doesn't necessarily have to mean the State's don't have control. I mean you could set Federal guidelines by saying you should draw districts in a non-partisan grid manner by an independent group.

States would still be in control because you're not telling them how to form those groups or telling them exactly how the districts should be drawn. They still would have total control over those details. You would only be setting a "standard" for them to follow.

I know it's probably walking a fine line but either that or plan on court battles to become the norm when it comes to which "team" is in power.

13. LVG

LVG Who?! Contributor

I think the feds could absolutely set advisory standards; I don't think they could forcibly push those standards onto the states.

14. Covert Rain

I would take that too. Anything is better than the system we have now.

15. LVG

LVG Who?! Contributor

It would be really interesting to give a semi-intelligent computer system the job and to see what it comes up with. It would be hard though to set the appropriate parameters.