Free Agency 2018

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by JCSunsfan, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

It looks like the Suns plan to be players in free agency this summer.

Scott Bordow, azcentral sports Published 3:40 p.m. MT Jan. 27, 2018 | Updated 3:40 p.m. MT Jan. 27, 2018

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...e-timeline-aggressive-free-agency/1072428001/

2. sunsfan88

sunsfan88 Registered

3. leclerc

leclerc The smooth operator

No prospects please. Draft someone who can and actually plays and shoot the ball.

Mainstreet and Carolinacacti like this.
  4. 3rdside

3rdside Registered

The difference is we have a frustrated, potential super star he just has to appease - it’s going to be fun whatever happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

Who would we get? Durant, LeBron, Cousins, PG, CP3, DAJ, Gordon, Capella, Parker, Melo, Avery Bradley, Favors?

I could see us making a run at Julius Randle. The Lakers might blink. Capella may be an option depending on the draft. Marcus Smart might be an option. He can defend and distribute. That would look OK next to Booker.

I would have thought that Cousins would be the target, but that must have changed now.

6. SirStefan32

SirStefan32 Krycek, Alex Krycek

I think a lot will depend on who they draft. If they draft a big, they'll go after a point guard in free agency/ trade. If they draft Docic or Young, they'll need to get a big or two.

They don't need a Superstar- they've got one. For the next stage, they need another two scorers, and a couple of 3 and D guys. Next stage is making playoffs, maybe making it out of the first round. There isn't anyone they can sign that will turn them into a contender. Put LBJ or KD on this team, and the team still has more holes than Swiss cheese. There still isn't enough scoring, defense, or shooting. I think they need a real point guard above all else. Then they need somebody on the inside who is a legitimate NBA player. Someone who can defend and score some. They they need 2-3 guys who can defend and shoot. Once they are good enough to get out of the first round, they can start looking for another Superstar.

Mainstreet and BC867 like this.
  7. Poop Head

Poop Head Poster formerly known as kingdad

If Noel didn't sign with Rich Paul last summer he's a player I'd like to see the Suns go after in FA this summer but since he has Rich as his agent I highly doubt he's on their radar. I don't imagine McD wants to deal with any Rich Paul clients. Looks like turning down the 4 year $70 million dollar offer last summer was a huge mistake on his part also, he's not even in the rotation for the Mavericks any more and he'll be lucky to get more than the MLE.

8. Raindog

Raindog Registered

These are the more realistic FAs the Suns could target (I am not saying they should necessarily). Anyone suggesting that the likes of Lebron, Durant, George, or Paul are realistic possibilities and that we should position ourselves for a run at them has gravel for brains. Cousins could get some consideration only if the market is completely dead for him due to his injury, and I doubt it will be.

At this stage, the best the Suns can hope for is to add small complementary pieces through FA - it is a completely undesirable destination for elite FAs. Build the team into legitimacy through smart drafting and maybe a deft/lucky trade or two, then in a few years, we might be a desirable FA destination again.

9. Mainstreet

Enes Kanter would solve a lot of the Suns problems at center. He is only 25 and can score and rebound. Also he will likely opt out of his contract and be an unrestricted free agent.

Derrick Favors is also an URFA and he plays both PF/C.

I think Portland will match any offer for Nurkic. It's hard to see Gordon not being matched. Maybe Capela can be taken from the Rockets with the right offer. Mirotic has a team option.

As SirStefan32 said, some of the decision making will be made by who the Suns draft.

10. Mainstreet

The Suns are going for it this summer because they want to keep Booker happy as he nears free agency.

McDonough says they are willing to cash in some chips this summer. Pretty bold assessment in my opinion.

SirStefan32 likes this.
  11. overseascardfan

overseascardfan Registered User

Would love for PHX to land Capela & Gordon. Gordon has made a huge leap in development this year expanding his shooting range and not being just a dunk machine. Capela is who I would really want, long, athletic guy who can run the floor, rebound and block shots. Could have had him in 2014, PHX was rumored to be interested but took Ennis instead.

12. Mainstreet

The Ennis pick leaves me to question the Suns scouting. Did they not ever watch Kendall Marshall?

I can't see Gordon going anywhere but Capela would be nice.

13. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Just recently the rockets laid out that harden, paul, capella, and Gordon were their “core” players. Those guys aren’t going anywhere.

14. overseascardfan

overseascardfan Registered User

Cap space may not allow it, especially after the HUGE extension Harden just signed takes effect. Four guys on max deals requires someone making a sacrifice like KD did to keep dynasty together in GS.

15. hcsilla

hcsilla Registered User

Eric Gordon is under contract for 2 more years.