Free Agency 2018

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by JCSunsfan, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

I think guys become available that no one sees coming. For instance, the wolves trading for the hawks pg last offseason. Didn’t see that coming. Or kyrie demanding out last offseason. Didn’t see that coming. I think kemba is the “obvious” choice but maybe not the best choice . . . for this squad. In booker, Jj and Ayton you have three good passers for their respective positions. I think Bender is pretty heady too. And if Igor puts in a nice movement offense we likely don’t need a ball dominant pg like kemba. We need a good 3-D pg. a compliment.

Errntknght and SirStefan32 like this.
  2. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

some combination of those pieces. not clear, sorry

3. JCSunsfan

Totally agree with this. Doncic would be a nice piece because he could fit into this scheme without having to be a star. Brogdon would be good here too. Honestly, Elfrid, if he played to any kind of his potential would be very good for this too.

4. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

It probably wouldn't but if Doncic is only going to be twice as valuable as Brogdon, I'd have no interest in him. I like Brogdon in the right scheme and as a backup. But he isn't the answer for a team looking for a starter IMO.

5. JCSunsfan

I think Brogdon would be a very competent starter.

6. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

Brogdon would be a good fit or another PG/combo guard that can shoot and pass the ball. I'm hesitant to give up so much for him though. IMO, the Suns would be way overpaying. I'd be especially sad to see Warren leave.

It's so interesting that the Suns can legitimately start looking at star players like Paul George.

7. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

I'm of the opinion that in today's NBA your point guard has to be an above replacement player, something Brogdon hasn't been. But maybe I'll feel differently about the position in Igor's offense?

8. Folster

Folster The system doesn't work.

I was thinking about some realistic off-season scenarios involving free agency after drafting Ayton and came up with the following.

We sign Avery Bradley to a low to middling contract. Gambo has stated that the Suns have/had interest in him and he obviously has the McDonough connection. He is unrestricted and coming off a down year due to bouncing around and injury.

I believe he is a combo guard and would be the first guard off the bench and can play a defensive 2 guard while spelling Booker or share Ball handling duties with him when Knight is out. He would be a nice 3&D guy to have coming off the bench.

The big swing would be working a sign and trade with Orlando for Aaron Gordon. We'd likely have to give up Warren and Chriss and a pick to entice Orlando to do it. But Gordon would give us and athletic and versatile 4 who can spread the floor and compliment Ayton.

So that would give us a lineup of Knight, Booker, Jackson, Gordon, and Ayton with Bradley and Bender being the first 2 off the bench.

9. Poop Head

Poop Head Poster formerly known as kingdad

I like that but the price for Gordon would play a big role in things. A team can only afford to max out 3 players, realistically, so if Gordon was seeking the max it could be an issue. I know Ayton would be on his rookie deal for the next 4 years, and Jackson has 3 years left on his, but we'd need to part ways with one of them when their rookie deals run out if we maxed out Gordon. They could let Gordon go at the end but I'm not sure about that either. We do have Chriss and Bender but would likely lose 1 in a deal for Gordon, so retaining one would be fine since neither of them will get close to a max but they could be capable of taking over for Gordon when his deal expires. I'd rather build a team they could keep together for years to come and signing Gordon to max money makes that less likely.

Personally I'd rather they go after someone like Luc Mbah a Moute who is an unrestricted free agent for the Rockets. He's played the 4 there and he's a good defender so he should be able to play the 4 for the Suns next to Ayton. He'd be cheaper than Gordon and we'd still have TJ and Chriss, plus cap space.

I'm all for acquiring Bradley in that scenario though and am 100% behind it. Knight could be our starter and Booker and Bradley could alternate playing PG while Knight sits. We'd also still have Ulis, Shaq Harrison, or Canaan to come in as well when Booker and Knight sit together. Daniels will still be here to provide shooting for us off the bench.