Free Agency 2018

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by JCSunsfan, Jan 15, 2018.

1. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

2. Poop Head

Poop Head Poster formerly known as kingdad

As it stands they'll have around $14 million in cap space next season. If they plan on being players in free agency they'll need to free up more space, which could be done by trading Dudley or Chandler, and would give them close to enough cap space to sign a max free agent. As is I wouldn't mind them making a run at Jusuf Nurkic. I'm not sure if they'll have the space to get him to sign here but I think he'll sign for somewhere around $15 million a year. He'd be a solid young Center to grow with the team going forward. I don't think Portland will be able to pay him that much unless they can unload a deal before signing him because they're currently at the luxury tax line and have a lot of bad contracts on their books.

Here is a link to see the Suns cap situation going forward...
    http://www.spotrac.com/nba/phoenix-suns/cap/2018/

3. BC867

BC867 Long time Phoenician! Contributor

Not in the top 50 free agents. Wow! Knowing that he has let us down is one thing. Seeing that he has not been chosen nationally as a top-50 free agent is a stark reality.

I hope that $arver doesn't see this as motivation to re-signing him at a cheap cost. If that happens, we'll know where the Managing General Partner's priorities lie. Time will tell.

4. SirStefan32

SirStefan32 Krycek, Alex Krycek

I think it all largely depends on what we get from the draft. They really need a point guard. Nothing in free agency really appeals to me on that front.

I would probably sign Okafor and see what happens, especially if Len is gone. Dedmon Might be an option.

Then they need some shooting. Wayne Ellington, Will Barton, PatrickMcCaw might be decent bench options.

5. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

Might add Pat Connaughton to the list.

6. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

Also Corey Joseph and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope.

Joseph is interesting because he plays PG. He has a player option.

7. Suns_fan69

Suns_fan69 Official ASFN Lurker Contributor

Don't know where Jabari Parker fits in Milwaukee's plans but he's a guy I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on.

8. SirStefan32

I like KCP, but I think he will want to start. I am not sure how much playing time there is for him in Phoenix. Jabari's health scares me. Joseph would be an interesting option for a backup PG. Not familiar with Connaughton, as I haven't really watched Portland a whole lot this year.

9. Raze

Raze Registered

Two questions:

1. Who will be willing to sign here?
    2. Who's worth shelling out a ton of cash for that will make us better?

Obviously we'd all pay Lebron and Durant $35M to come play for us. But they aren't coming.
    I doubt Chris Paul wants to end his career with a bunch of young'ns as well. Otherwise he's a perfect fit for what we need. If healthy.
    I don't see anyone at 2, 3, or 4 to overpay to replace what we have. Which essentially limits our interest to 1 and 5.

At PG I could see going after Elfrid Payton. I'm not a huge fan of his, but he does play D which is what our PG will have to do with Book severely limited. He's only an ok passing PG which limits his value, but with Book picking it up in the passing column we may not need a traditional passing PG (who don't exist anymore anyway). Is he worth the $$ we'll have to pay him? I doubt it.

I'd still make a trade for Dinwiddie.

At C, I'm ok with not making a big splash. Just pick up someone who can handle lobs, pick up the trash, and ball out on D. It'll be interesting to see what Dedmon and Noel garner. If they could be had cheap I'd take a shot. They probably won't.

The biggest problem with FAs this year is that we aren't winning anything anytime soon. It's tough to sign a FA who knows the window is lodged shut.

10. SirStefan32

I tend to agree, but the Suns also need to focus on bringing in serviceable role players. They just need shooters and they need defenders. I admit to not watching Payton a lot, but to me he is a no. You simple cannot have anymore players who can't shoot. I hear that he's shooting a decent percentage this year, but I am not sold. I would love Dinwiddie on the Suns roster, but I really don't see the Nets letting him go.

11. Matt L

Matt L formerly known as mattyboy

I feel like Avery Bradley could be a good player in the guard rotation. I like his defense and he can shoot, I wonder if he could share the PG responsibilities.

DevonCardsFan and Poop Head like this.
  12. Raze

Raze Registered

I don't recommend spending too much time watching Payton. It's just not going to be a lot of fun. But that's the PG position these days.

There's a lot of negatives on Payton's leadership and presence on a floor. However, he's 23. Maybe he just needs a change of scenery. He might be that guy that just needs a good HC (Triano) and a stud SG (Booker). I don't know.

No matter what I'm not signing him to a hefty contract. Heck no one is. But you might find a bargain price on a guy that could be an upgrade on what we have.

That said, I might go all out on Young this draft and not worry about it.

SirStefan32 likes this.
  13. ColdPickleNachos

ColdPickleNachos Registered

If we can get Young or Doncic, then fantastic! If not, something needs to be done at pg next year and I'm not sure there are a lot of realistic options better than Payton, who at least has the potential for improvement. But yes...definitely don't give him big money.

14. Poop Head

Poop Head Poster formerly known as kingdad

Collin Sexton should be an option where the Suns pick. Not sure how good of a fit he'd be but he's ranked in the top 10 of most mocks. Are there are any other Euro guards to draft later? Doncic is the only European I've heard anything about this year.

15. ColdPickleNachos

ColdPickleNachos Registered

I worry that Sexton is ball-dominant without being an elite shooter or passer. Great energy, very athletic, and lots of upside but not really the type of guy I would put next to Booker if I had my choice. I like him as a prospect more than I like him for the Suns.

The most interesting guard prospect in Europe besides Doncic I've come across in limited research (if you count Musa as a SF) is Isaac Bonga. He's a 6'9 pg prospect. There are questions about his shot and athleticism though, and he's likely a project.