France Beats Turkey for 5th Place

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by George O'Brien, Sep 2, 2006.

1. George O'Brien

George O'Brien Registered

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/06_wcm/news/lateNews/FE_news_lateNews_arti.asp?newsID=16232&lid_6768_cp=&eventID=3507&langID=1&playerNumber=&teamNumber=&zone=&roundID=3507&competitionCode=&langLC=en&season=

This piece was part of the USA article

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/06_wcm/news/lateNews/FE_news_lateNews_arti.asp?newsID=16243&lid_6768_cp=&eventID=3507&langID=1&playerNumber=&teamNumber=&zone=&roundID=3507&competitionCode=&langLC=en&season=

2. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

Speaking of Turkey, maybe the Suns should be talking turkey (financial) with Diaw now. I'm tired of worrying about it. I'm not sure if Diaw really did anything in the Worlds to increase his value. I'm not saying he didn't play well in the Worlds, but he can play better. Also I'm sure the absence of Tony Parker didn't help his game.

I'm just not sure if Diaw played like a go-to player like Pau Gasol. No wait, Spain won the Worlds without Gasol. :bang:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2006
  3. George O'Brien

It was the OTHER Gasol that helped them win it. Apparently Pau's brother is actually pretty good. Does anyone know anything about his status?

4. mathbzh

mathbzh Registered

In that tournament Boris is a little disapointment for me.
    He did good (sometime very good and sometime bad).
    He was expected to step up with parker out.
    That said he was still one of the French top players.

The great satisfactions for france are :
    - F.Pietrus This guy should play in the NBA. He has so mutch energy. He is a shutdown: defender and his offensive game is improving. Unfortunately he didn't have a great season (being Garbajosa backup he doesn't have enough minutes).
    - M.Gelabale: Seattle may have a gem in this player. He is a great defender, is good at everything, is very athletic. I guess he will have a good rookie year.
    - F.Weiss:
    Mister "posterized" Weiss is now a strong defensive center. He give some stability inside to the French squad. IMO he would be a great addition to any team in the NBA (to play ten minutes a game). Petro and Turiaf had some good sequence and hopefully will grow up with the french team.
    - A.Jeanneau:
    With Parker out he stepped us (dispite and injury). He manage the team really well. This guy will probably never see and NBA floor... but is it important? Y.Bokolo has shown he can become a very special player. This guy is learning the PG for one year (he is a former SG). He should be in the NBA soon.

The big disapointment are :
    - M.Pietrus and L.Foirest these guys were supposed to give us some outside scoring. Both had catastrophic FG%. M.Pietrus really need to understand the game better if ghe wants to last in the NBA. He has a great body, his a good defender, can shoot (too much 3 from the corner?)... but is it enough??? Not sure.
    - FT%:
    This is very important in FIBA games and the french team sucks in that part of the game (Turkey even tried the Hack-a-Weiss tactic).

Thats all

5. George O'Brien

F.Pietrus had a summer league look by the Suns a few years ago.

6. mathbzh

mathbzh Registered

F. Pietrus main problem is that he is a 4 in a 3 body (he is 6'6 or 6'7).
    At the 4 he is a very special player. I am not sure he would bring that if he were to play the 3. Maybe the success of Diaw inside can open some coach minds.