First Olympic Practice

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by thegrahamcrackr, Jul 26, 2004.

1. thegrahamcrackr

thegrahamcrackr Registered User

One of the many reasons I didn't want Melo on the Olympic team. I just think he is way to immature to represent the US at this time in his life. Funny enough, I thought Bron Bron would have the maturity issues, and Melo would be a straight arrow. Was I wrong or what?

I like Brown yelling at Amare for "1 pass and shot". If only Mike D would scream at players for that.

2. 3rdside

3rdside Registered

"We're guaranteeing a gold medal. We're bringing it back."

Hah, this guy sounds like Paul Pierce (how many games did you guys lose at the World's again?).

Comments like this make will make it it so much more fun when you don't win gold. :)

3. F-Dog

F-Dog lurker

Melo's a real tool, isn't he? :lol:

Oh well, at least we've got someone to blame now, if the U.S. loses...

4. devilalum

devilalum Salary Cap Casualty

And with the talent this team has there's no way this dillhole averages more than 15 minutes a game.

Its like the kicker gaurenteeing a Super Bowl win.

5. binkar

binkar Registered

More fun when we don't win gold? Wow you are a really strong supporter of your country. :rolleyes:

6. carey

carey VVVV Saints Fan VVVV

Not everyone on this board is from America. I'm assuming that "you" means America and that this person is of a different nationality.

7. NJYAJ09

NJYAJ09 Banned

wilol carmelo even play at all?

8. thegrahamcrackr

thegrahamcrackr Registered User

Hopefully not at all. In reality, I am guessing he will play minimal time. He is like 3rd or 4th on the depth chart at SF....

I really want to know what NugzFan thinks of Melo's promise. Personally, I just think it is his immaturity showing again, but maybe he has seen something I haven't?

I was especially mad at the way he acted before he got an invite (which came almost by default.) As much as I dislike Steve Francis, I would have rather him gotton the invite. To me, it seemed like he wanted to play for his country, while Melo wanted the intention. Francis also handled not being selected a lot better than Melo did.

edit: I mean compared to Amare, who simply said he would love the chance to represent his country, Melo acted like a baby. However, the media circuit tends to portray Melo as the ultimate franchise centerpiece. Amare gets some mention, but not nearly enough (and it is usually in second wind after a statement about how great Yao is).

Actually, second question. Nugzfan, as a person from the other side, if you could pick one person to build your team around (not consindering current roster), would you pick Amare or Melo???

Last edited: Jul 26, 2004
  9. binkar

binkar Registered

Sorry didnt catch the "you" part. My bad.

10. binkar

binkar Registered

I don't see what the huge deal is with this? I know it looks kind of cocky and stuff, but I think it makes it kind of fun. It will defintetly motivate us. Although I am sure it will motivate others as well.

11. George O'Brien

George O'Brien Registered

Actually this is the kind of "street ball" attitude that Larry Brown has to overcome. What the US team learned at the Worlds two years ago is that they cannot beat top teams playing one on one basketball.

The irony is that in 1992 the US had a vastly better collection of individual players, but they seemed to absolutely relish making assists to the point of being almost too unselfish.

I'm excited that Amare and Shawn are getting this kind of coaching. Larry Brown is one of the greatest coaches to ever coach basketball. He can't help but make our guys better.

12. panfolk

panfolk Registered

Amare is a very self motivated guy, luckily for us. Maybe he will pass on critiques to Mike D and get the rest of the team behind what he learns from Brown. Pretty great. Might cause some resentment though.

13. George O'Brien

George O'Brien Registered

I think it is clear the Suns are being built around Amare. That's why he went along on the trip to recruit Nash. The great thing is that Amare is incredibly dedicated to becoming a great player and it can't help but rub off on everyone else.

14. NJYAJ09

NJYAJ09 Banned

Amare got all the tools.. I see him as a career 26 pts 11 rbs.

15. NugzFan

NugzFan Registered

i really hope this is a joke/sarcasm.

the mere fact that he made the team at 20 is good enough. 5 mpg is a bonus. he will be in plenty of more olympics before its all said and done. there are very few guys on the team i would take instead of melo to build my team around. VERY few (obviously i would take duncan and bron, but other than that - not much). his mpg are not indicative of anything. this is the OLYMPICS. in fact, i didnt want him to go (injury reasons).

this is true. maybe he will get a few minutes here and there just for experience sake.

immaturity? the kid is just speaking his mind. nothing wrong with what he said. if it was duncan, people would praise him. im sick of all the guys being safe with what they say instead of saying what they actually think. of course at the same time, guaranteeing the gold is kinda stupid because we are SUPPOSE to win the gold. its not really going out on a limb.

you really dont know melo then. the kid is all USA pride. 100%

so this stems from jealousy?

i would take melo no doubt. you guys would disagree and laugh at the idea. and i in turn have the same feelings when you guys say you would take amare over melo. no harm done.