Favorite books from childhood

Discussion in 'Books' started by Jersey Girl, May 21, 2011.

1. DemsMyBoys

DemsMyBoys Registered

Have I got a book for you, Jersey: "Little Chapel on the River" by Gwendolyn Bounds. It's about a small Irish pub on the banks of the Hudson River. You will fall in love with these characters. Heck, you will know half of them. :thumbup:

2. Pariah

Pariah H.S. Contributor

Another kids book that I loved: Where the Red Fern Grows.

I just watched the movie adaption with my kids. Man, it brought back a lot of memories reading that book. 4th grade, I think.

3. azonaback

azonaback Free Agent

tales from the thousand and one nights.

4. Errntknght

Errntknght Registered User

I read whatever was around, my sister had Nancy Drew so I read those. When we finally had a bookmobile come around I read a lot of Zane Grey 'cowboy' tales and others of that ilk. Trouble was it only came every two weeks and had a three book limit. My mom had a trunk full of old Readers Digests and I used to read those cover to cover. Naturally, I did Improve Your Word Power over and over 'til I knew all the words. Mom had a book called '1001 Beautiful Things' - poems, essays and short stories - still remember 'The Antiseptic Baby and the Prophylactic Pup' and 'Abdul Abubul Amir' from among the poems. 'The Spell of the Yukon' and a couple others by the same writer whose name escapes me. 'The Cremation of Sam McGee' was another one. I had Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass and a book that had Lewis Carroll poems in it, like 'The Walrus and the Carpenter' or maybe they were part of the stories. I think both are true because the other book was entitled "Shoes and Ships and Sealing Wax" which is a line in the 'Walrus'. I remember the Jabberwocky poem was in 'Alice' because Humpty Dumpty explained it to her.
    We didn't have children's books like Dr. Suess and Winnie the Pooh - I discovered those when I had kids. My mom read a few books to us but they were just books she was reading herself and I guess she thought they were suitable for us. 'The Guerilla Wife' is the only title I recall. In it the expression "Oh, my favorite, apple pie ashes" was used and it became a family saying whenever any food was overcooked.
    Quite amazing all the memories that come flooding back when you think of that long ago - seventy years, in my case. They seem clear but I wouldn't be surprised if they're rather jumbled.

AzStevenCal and Brian in Mesa like this.
  5. AZ Native

AZ Native Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted. Contributor

So you are human too?

6. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

I loved all the age appropriate fantasy books growing up but around 10 or so I got into Westerns especially anything written by Max Brand, Louis L'Amour or Zane Grey. Those books led me to ERB's various fantasy series (Tarzan and John Carter of Mars weren't much different than a Zane Grey western AFAIWC.

Around 13 or so I fell in love with the Matt Helm series which led to an appreciation of the men's adventure series genre, a near-addiction that continues to this day.

7. Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl Stand down Contributor

Funny how this thread has come around again. Dems, thanks for the recommendation. I missed it six years ago, lol.

Cool to reread this thread now that my daughter is starting to really get into books. Love seeing her develop favorites already.

Linderbee likes this.