Favorite books from childhood

Discussion in 'Books' started by Jersey Girl, May 21, 2011.

1. DemsMyBoys

DemsMyBoys Registered

Have I got a book for you, Jersey: "Little Chapel on the River" by Gwendolyn Bounds. It's about a small Irish pub on the banks of the Hudson River. You will fall in love with these characters. Heck, you will know half of them. :thumbup:

2. Pariah

Pariah H.S. Contributor

Another kids book that I loved: Where the Red Fern Grows.

I just watched the movie adaption with my kids. Man, it brought back a lot of memories reading that book. 4th grade, I think.

3. azonaback

azonaback Free Agent

tales from the thousand and one nights.

4. Errntknght

Errntknght Registered User

I read whatever was around, my sister had Nancy Drew so I read those. When we finally had a bookmobile come around I read a lot of Zane Grey 'cowboy' tales and others of that ilk. Trouble was it only came every two weeks and had a three book limit. My mom had a trunk full of old Readers Digests and I used to read those cover to cover. Naturally, I did Improve Your Word Power over and over 'til I knew all the words. Mom had a book called '1001 Beautiful Things' - poems, essays and short stories - still remember 'The Antiseptic Baby and the Prophylactic Pup' and 'Abdul Abubul Amir' from among the poems. 'The Spell of the Yukon' and a couple others by the same writer whose name escapes me. 'The Cremation of Sam McGee' was another one. I had Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass and a book that had Lewis Carroll poems in it, like 'The Walrus and the Carpenter' or maybe they were part of the stories. I think both are true because the other book was entitled "Shoes and Ships and Sealing Wax" which is a line in the 'Walrus'. I remember the Jabberwocky poem was in 'Alice' because Humpty Dumpty explained it to her.
    We didn't have children's books like Dr. Suess and Winnie the Pooh - I discovered those when I had kids. My mom read a few books to us but they were just books she was reading herself and I guess she thought they were suitable for us. 'The Guerilla Wife' is the only title I recall. In it the expression "Oh, my favorite, apple pie ashes" was used and it became a family saying whenever any food was overcooked.
    Quite amazing all the memories that come flooding back when you think of that long ago - seventy years, in my case. They seem clear but I wouldn't be surprised if they're rather jumbled.

AzStevenCal and Brian in Mesa like this.
  5. AZ Native

AZ Native Living is Easy with Eyes Closed Contributor

So you are human too?

6. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

I loved all the age appropriate fantasy books growing up but around 10 or so I got into Westerns especially anything written by Max Brand, Louis L'Amour or Zane Grey. Those books led me to ERB's various fantasy series (Tarzan and John Carter of Mars weren't much different than a Zane Grey western AFAIWC.

Around 13 or so I fell in love with the Matt Helm series which led to an appreciation of the men's adventure series genre, a near-addiction that continues to this day.

7. Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl Stand down Contributor

Funny how this thread has come around again. Dems, thanks for the recommendation. I missed it six years ago, lol.

Cool to reread this thread now that my daughter is starting to really get into books. Love seeing her develop favorites already.

8. Bert

Bert Registered

Ok just found this thread and haven't read any of it, so I'm going to post mine first then read what everyone elses were...

I was born in 1980 just to give reference to the era I grew up in.

My favorite book as a kid (like before I was 12) was The Giving Tree.

I also loved The City of Ember, The Giver (before they were made into garbage film adaptations) My dad used to get me these choose your own adventure books that I really liked as well, but I cant remember the names.

There was this weird book that my mom got me in the library called (crap trying to remember how to appropriately punctuate book titles... Quotes? no Quotes? Mrs. Kenny my 7th grade english teacher would be so disappointed...

Anyways it was called "Sometimes I think I hear my name..." and I was obsessed with it for a while. Tho I can barely remember what it was about now. :)

thirty-two likes this.
  9. Linderbee

Linderbee Let's GO, CARDINALS! Contributor

Book titles should get underlined; things like magazine articles get quotes...at least, that's to the best of my memory, which is 8 years older than yours. :p

Bert likes this.
  10. Errntknght

Errntknght Registered User

The first letter of each non-trivial word is capitalized, and the first word, trivial or not. Underlined, too, but that's often impossible (unless you have a clever typing pgm like this one.) I use single quotes if I think about it instead...

Come to think of it, the capitalization rule is probably to use the same capitalization the author did, if you know what he/she/they did.

Bert likes this.
  11. Bodha

Bodha Registered

I read all of these

[​IMG]

Bert likes this.
  12. thirty-two

thirty-two Cranky Contributor

I haven't re-read this thread to see what I originally posted but I remember being into The Giving Tree, Goodnight Moon, Mike Mulligan and the Steam Shovel as a young kiddo. I also remember Ping which I think was about a duck?

I was obsessed with the Berenstein* Bear books which apparently has been spelled BerenSTAIN this entire time and no one knew?!?!?

As a pre-teen I remember loving The Giver. I also read Zlata's Diary which was about a teen who lived in the war torn area of what used to be Sarejevo during the early 90s. I think that area is no longer called that? Too lazy to open a new tab on my phone and check, sorry. I also really liked reading the Archie comics.

Edit: I went back to see what I wrote and amazingly I had most of the same books. Yay Past-Me! I didn't include the Roal Dahl books which I LOOOOOVED. I also read the Nancy Drew books but that was mainly because my mom made me.

Bert likes this.
  13. Bert

Bert Registered

I always pegged you for a Babysitters Club kinda gal. :p

14. thirty-two

thirty-two Cranky Contributor

Lol never got into those

15. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms

oaken1 likes this.