Favorite books from childhood

Discussion in 'Books' started by Jersey Girl, May 21, 2011.

1. Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl Stand down Contributor

I've been rearranging my place and just went through a bunch of books I haven't really looked at in a while. One is "Around the World with Ant and Bee," which my godmother gave me waaaaay back in the day.

She was in the Peace Corps and, though she wasn't around a lot, always tried to educate my siblings and me on things wordly. She would always bring us cool things from the places she visited. It was always super fun to see her.

My Ant and Bee book is damaged (thanks, stupid basement in NJ) and I tried to replace it, but, WOW. Super expensive book! Anyway, I am thinking about having it rebound since the cover is gone and, truth be told, there is no way I will ever replace it.

So, what are your favorite childhood books? I also love "Are You My Mother" and anything dealing with Snoopy. :)

Bert likes this.
  2. Dback Jon

Dback Jon Killer Snail Contributor

The Little House books....

3. Louis

Louis DJ Roomba

Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
    Incognito Mosquito!

4. Beaver

Beaver Maximum Effort

[​IMG]

5. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa BIM™ Contributor

The Chronicles of Narnia, The Hardy Boys, Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators, Encyclopedia Brown, etc.

6. Brian

Brian PANEM ET CIRCENSES

Where the Red Fern Grows, The Lottery Rose, My Side of the Mountain, and Bless the Beasts and Children.

7. Linderbee

Linderbee Let's GO, CARDINALS! Contributor

:yeahthat: Read just about all of them many times over. On the Banks of Plum Creek was my favorite.

I knew these 3 would be on your list; the bolded two I loved as well.

I read an insane amount of books as a kid; I loved to read...it's hard to remember them all. My mother gave me a ton of books that she had as a teenager. I still have a few of them. Wish I could say I kept them all, but unfortunately, I did lose some. The Luckiest Girl is by Beverly Cleary. I had no idea she was that old at the time. Knowing my mom read that when she was a kid was kind of weird to me since I thought Beverly Cleary was a "new" author, lol. Little did I know that Beezus & Ramona was written in 1955! Loved all her books. The Mouse & the Motorcycle was my favorite by her.

I also enjoyed The Five Little Peppers series, all of Judy Blume's books, of course. I especially liked Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret.

Roald Dahl's books were great (James and the Giant Peach, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, etc).

E.B. White, of course. The Trumpet of the Swan was one I could read over & over as well.

Last but definitely not least, Watership Down. Fantastic book.

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  8. Dback Jon

Read thme over and over myself.

I have been to the Big Woods, Plum Creek, and DeSmet :), and the site of the Little HOuse on the Prairie in KS

9. Mulli

Mulli ... Contributor

My fourth grade teacher read the Little House books to us after lunch. She was cool.

10. DemsMyBoys

DemsMyBoys Registered

"The Story of Theodore Roosevelt". He had asthma. I had asthma. I was about 7 when I first read it and was thrilled that he had overcome it. He promptly became my role model. I still have the book. (I just notice my brother had written his name inside the front cover so I obviously "appropriated" it.)

We had one of the old Carnegie libraries in my town. The children's section was downstairs and had all the boring books. We were constantly sneaking upstairs to read the good stuff and getting yelled at by the librarians. There was also a bookmobile which came by once a week.

We were big on comics. I still have boxes of them. Unfortunately we read them until they were falling apart so they're worth zilch. Dennis the Menace was a particular favorite. I have a couple of the first Peanuts books. (Anybody remember Violet? That's how old these are.) And I loved my dad's old Sad Sack books from the 40's.

11. jf-08

jf-08 Administrator; Rules Creator Contributor

Encyclopedia Brown, LOTR, Watership Down, Animal Farm, Lord of the Flies

12. MrYeahbut

MrYeahbut rilly bruh, rilly?? Contributor

I've read 'Where the wild things are' to my grandkids about 1000 times

I grew up with anything by AA Milne...most notably Pooh Bear

13. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

Oh yeah I loved the Hardy Boys books right up until I found out that they were written by the same person who wrote the Nancy drew stories. For some reason as a kid that bugged me.

14. DemsMyBoys

DemsMyBoys Registered

So you'll appreciate how I felt when, sitting at our kitchen table, one of my brother's friends told me that Carolyn Keene (Nancy Drew author) was, in fact, a middle-aged man.

Betrayal!

Turns out Carolyn Keene was a whole bunch of people. But my little feminist heart was broken. I think I tiped the Monopoly board over and pouted the rest of the evening. It wasn't pretty.

15. Dback Jon

Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew came from same book company, different set of authors
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin_W._Dixon
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolyn_Keene