Farewell Jim (Skkorpion)

Discussion in 'ASFN Hall of Remembrance' started by Mike Olbinski, Jun 24, 2009.

1. cardsfanmd

cardsfanmd ASFN Lifer

Great story Mike. I am not very talkative about these sorts of things but I do want to say that after hearing about my losing my hand and having kids, Jim made a point to periodically send me personal messages just to ask how things were going. Here is a man who cant walk and he's worried about me hurting a hand. We'd never met and hadn't conversed much if at all prior to his messaging. Anyway, I was just amazed by his caring and compassion for others. He obviously had a ton on his plate, yet more and more we here now how he was more concerned with helping others.

2. Mulli

Mulli ... Contributor

Amen brother.

3. MrYeahbut

MrYeahbut rilly bruh, rilly?? Contributor

Jim took the time to PM me as well. He treated me with respect (even though he hated the fact that I am golfer-he said golf courses suck up all the water in the valley).

He told me how grateful he was to me for driving over for so many games and supporting our beloved Cardinals. Asked about my wife, kids, our health, etc.

I will miss his generosity of spirit.

4. CardAvenger

CardAvenger Screaming At A Wall

I haven't checked-in for a while, so this is the first I've heard of Jim's passing. My thoughts are with Jim's family. He was always good to the Avengers. I remember meeting him for the first time in person at a makeshift Prop 302 rally out at a park. I think like 20 of us showed up along with Michael Bidwill and I think Coach Mac was there. If my memory served me correct, that was right around the time ASFN launched.

Sorry for the ramble. Skorp will be missed.

RIP Jim.

5. MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease Moderator Contributor

Great Story Mike! I too moved over from AzProSports the minute that Jim announced his new message board. Skkorps posts were always so in line with mine it was a no brainer for me. A few months later he asked me to be a mod on the Cardinals message board. It's been a fun 6 years.

Here is my favorite story of Jim and I:

Back in May 2003 my wife and I went to a house warming party at her old bosses new home. It was way up north off Dynamite road and was a horse property out in the middle of no where. Man did it have incredible views though.

While we were checking out the back yard my wife yells, "Check out that bird! Is that a Cardinal?" At first I didn't see it. Then I spotted it a Palo Verde tree when it moved. Sure enough it was a beautiful bright red Cardinal. The first wild one I had seen in Arizona.

Now the fact that I saw a Cardinal must have been some sort of forshadowing for what was about to happen. About an hour after we spotted the Cardinal a van pulls up the driveway bearing a Phoenix Cardinals License Plate. Instantly I thought to myself, "Now there is a fan."

Curious, I walked down to the van to see what this person looked like. To my surprise a man in a wheelchair had just exited the van. Instantly I think to myself, "Could this be Skkorpion?" Not comfortable enough to approach a stranger I lurk around to see if I could catch his name.

Sure enough he introduces himself as Jim to one of my wifes friends. Instantly I knew it had to be Jim Skane so I walked up to him and asked, "Your name wouldn't happen to be Jim Skane would it?" "Why yes it is" Jim replied "Do I know you."

A huge smile came across my face as I said "We've never met before but I work for you." I proceded to tell him I'm "MadCardDiseas" and the rest is history. We ended up spending the rest of the party discussing the Cardinals and how weird it was that we finally met at a completely random event.

I still love telling that story.

The last time I got to see Jim was during the NFC Championship halftime meeting. We all started a Skkorp chant and it was an awesome site to behold. I think it embarassed Jim a little but you could see it touched him. Today is a huge loss for us Cardinals fans. Jim will be missed but never forgotten!

6. john h

john h Registered User

You touched on some meaningful history very much worth reading to me. I wish I had asked Jim more about his personal life and history.

7. RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin Registered

RIP

He will be missed.

8. LVCARDFREAK

LVCARDFREAK In the league 20 years!

I dont have anything to add that all of you haven't already. You will be missed Skorp, and I hope the existence of this site does justice to your legacy.

RIP friend

John

9. redforceone

redforceone Registered

RIP Jim ~ you will be missed.

10. SuperSpck

SuperSpck Fewer ghosts in Realityland

Skkorp's a stud human being.

11. Lefty

Lefty Registered

RIP Jim. It would be nice if maybe his name was part of this forum's name.

12. BigRedArk

BigRedArk Registered User

i remember Mike from the previous sites. He always helped me on any technical problem I was having. We will miss ya Jim. Rest In Peace.

13. az1965

az1965 Love Games!

Amazing story, CM... We take so many things for granted... thanks for sharing

14. Carddan

Carddan Average Fan

I am blessed to have met Jim. I am also blessed to have found his website and the family that visits it. I have no words worthy of the respect and appreciation I have for him and will post no more words here, or anywhere else for one week. When a week has passed, I will try to always remember the example he set for us and then I will post my butt off.

15. Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones Has No Time For Love

RIP Skorp....

I have a friend up there that just passed on last month. Another Huge Cardinals fan and the best man in my wedding. I am sure you two will hit it off immediately. Please say hi to Brenan for me.

Your contributions to the Cardinals community, and the way you have brought a large, widely spread out fanbase together will live on well past most of our lifetimes.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009