Farewell Jim (Skkorpion)

Discussion in 'ASFN Hall of Remembrance' started by Mike Olbinski, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski Formerly Chandler Mike Contributor

I know I could just post in the sticky up top, but whatever. Jim was someone very dear to me and I'm going to use a new thread to share that.

Most of you don't know me like some of the older members do. I don't blame you. I don't post much anymore, haven't been around that often.

Jim and I go back as far as the Cardinals Insider and AZProSports. I'm pretty sure I met him up in Flagstaff one year when I was with one of those two sites. I was covering the team at the time and meeting Jim (and his then wife) was something I'll always remember. It was always fun meeting you guys from the forums up at camp or at the games.

When I left AZProSports after 9/11 when I felt like trying to be self-employed in this business was less important than supporting my family, Jim came to me to help him with ASFN. He wanted to start his own forum and needed me to get it set up for him.

That was back in early 2002. We started this place and over the next 6 years or so, spent hundreds and hundreds of hours working on this place and doing whatever we could to make it awesome.

After awhile he paid me to help maintain it, something he felt he NEEDED to do and I was always appreciative. I never needed the money, but he wanted to pay me so I took it.

He also spent his own money keeping this site going. You guys have no idea, but in the year or two before we sold the site, he probably spent close to $6,000 a year in hosting. This place was all that mattered to him.

Now, I am a Cards fan, but nowhere near like you guys. I don't post here much, don't go to many games, etc. So I didn't get to spend much time with him like you all did.

But like my wife said tonight, he was so important to us. When we decided to sell this site, the obvious plan would be to split the money. But he wouldn't have it. He took a little bit and told me I needed the rest to help get my family going.

Our baby was coming in like 5-6 months.

That little gift he gave me helped pay off my vehicle and now we only have one car payment. I can't tell you how much that helped our little family.

He had such a big heart and a big smile. Which was surprising considering how hard these last 5 years or so have been on him. He discovered a few years back that some home nurses helping him were actually POISONING him in hopes they could steal his stuff or something.

A year ago he called to tell me he might not be around in a few days and it shocked me. But he held on and I just figured he'd always hang on.

But he didn't. And I'm so sad I haven't talked to my friend Jim in awhile. We sold the site, he backed off from things here, I backed off and our paths didn't cross much.

I was all excited to hopefully introduce my daughter Lyla to him at training camp and then see him at the home opener. My wfie and I owe him so much.

Anyways...starting to ramble now. I wanted to say this though.

Jim's whole life was this place towards the end. He loved all of you and would do anything for you.

And I vow to make sure, no matter what happens, to keep this community alive no matter what happens. If Keebali had to shut down or something happened, I will do whatever it takes to make a new home for us.

Thanks Jim for touching my life and my family. I hope you get to watch the Cardinals this fall and cheer them on like the rest of us.

We'll be thinking of you.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2009
  2. 82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad 7 x 70

Great stuff Mike. Well done.

:thumbup:

3. SeattleCard

SeattleCard Back in Arizona!!!

Thanks for the great post, interesting to hear the passion that went into this site and the early days of its formation with you and Jim.

4. AZZenny

AZZenny Registered User

Thanks very much for the insights, Mike, and for the promise to keep an eye on ASFN.

5. SoCal Cardfan

SoCal Cardfan Registered

No need to explain, your post was definitely worth it's own thread.
    Thanks for all you did to get this site going, and your insight.

6. LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse Chad's got nothing on me!

I really really wish the Cards could've won the Superbowl for him last season. :( Great post Mike!

7. Buckybird

Buckybird Hoist the Lombardi Trophy

Fabulous story Mike:notworthy For us that wasn't fortunate to meet him your words tell us all we need to know about Skkorp.

8. LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse Chad's got nothing on me!

If someone with Skills much better than mine could come uo with some ASFN/SKKORP T-Shirt that would be great and we could all purchase one and all wear them to the Home opener to celebrate and commerate Skkorp when we meet at Halftime...

9. Faithful

Faithful Registered

My thoughts and prayers are with Jim's family. May he rest in peace.:sad:

10. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa BIMâ„¢ Contributor

Well said, Mikey. :thumbup:

11. Catfish

Catfish Registered

Mike, Thanks for the thread --- Skorp was an inspiration to me on this board, and now I see that you were very prominent in its forming along with him. Thank you for that also. This is my favorite spot to visit in all of sports on the net. During the early years I was merely a lurker, but I poured over it all. My computer skills were not effective or even adequate. Getting a little better now, and more confident so as to include my opinion now and then. I owe you both a great deal of thanks.

12. Mitch

Mitch Crawled Through 5 FB Fields

Mike, your story gives us all greater insight into Jim's passion for life, for giving and for the history of (his and your) ASFN. Thank you so much for sharing this. I think we all feel even closer to Skkorp for having read your story...for it is a truly beautiful one.

13. Mulli

Mulli ... Contributor

Thanks for this thread Mike. ASFN rules, thanks to you and to Skkorp.

14. abomb

abomb Registered User Contributor

I think Jim and Mike for this site all the time. Without it, I wouldnt know some of my dearest friends in real life; Linderbee, DCR, Mulli. I wouldnt know Red Dawn (now basically seatmates at the stadium), Shane H, Pariah and the rest.

ASFN is truly a special place and it and the world in general is a little less special without Jim.

RIP

15. Capital Card

Capital Card The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid

I first ran accross Skkorp back in the Rival.com days and when that site went belly-up, ventured over to the old AzProSports site too.

At that time, there really wasn't anywhere else an out-of-town Cardinal fanatic could go to keep up with the daily activities of the team, especially during the offseason.

I remember when Skkorp, like many of us, got so frustrated with certain aspects of the AzProSports site that he left to start his own site, promissing to deliver the very best Cardinals fan page on the net.

I also still remember rolling my eyes at his boast.

I've said it before, but Skkorp more than delivered on his promise. ASFN has been a home, and many of the people on this site have been like a family to me for a long time now.

Skkorp, I tip my hat to you, sir. You've created a home-away-from home and a brotherhood among us fellow Cardinal fans. I will always cherish my time spent on these boards and remember you fondly.

Rest well my friend.

Go Cards!!!