Evaluating Triano

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by JCSunsfan, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

He’s indeed doing a pretty good job. But beating a depleted grizzlies team by 2 is hardly something to crow about. Meh this whole season feels like one of those awful seasons where the young guys don’t really developed or show anything and mid-level vets somehow squeak out a bunch of meaningless wins against teams resting players to rob us of an impactful draft pick.

hcsilla likes this.
  2. Errntknght

Errntknght Registered User

Triano is giving the young guys the chance to develop, and if they fail to do so that gives us useful information, too. Take Ulis, for example; we now have a strong indication that he is not starter material and may not even be a worthwhile backup. And Len has morphed from a pain in the patoot to a competent backup, at least. Jackson has to go through the learning phase where his brain catches up with his quick feet - and there are small signs he's making progress. Bender is gradually developing confidence as several people have noted. He (and/or McD) have picked Canaan off the trash pile and Jay has him utilizing (most of the time) capabilities few would have guessed he possessed. Triano, himself, has a learning curve of how to best deploy the weapons he has, and he's clearly making good progress. The one thing that bugs me is that he is not working Peters into team... he may be right in so doing, but I don't understand it.

3. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

Triano has the bearing of a head coach. I remember when John Wetzel was coach. He just was not "presidential." I can't remember the commentator that said it. It think it was Al McCoy, but that would seem out of character for him.

Triano is "presidential". He carries himself like he belongs there. But he does it in a no nonsense sort of way.

4. Poop Head

Poop Head Poster formerly known as kingdad

Interesting piece about Booker having a say in who the next coach is, according to McD. I'm fine with Booker having a say but I think it's way too early to make this known. This could result in Triano catering to Booker too much in order to get a good word in. I don't think Triano is that type of coach and he's said he's not interested in being the full time coach but that's just one of the potential drawbacks from this statement by McD.

http://arizonasports.com/story/1359...says-devin-booker-say-front-office-decisions/

5. SirStefan32

SirStefan32 Krycek, Alex Krycek

Eh, I don't think anyone could cater to Booker too much. This team sucks right now, and Booker is the only star on the team. Second-best player is a level or two bellow, and seems happy to yield to Booker. I am trying to create a scenario in my head in which Triano could possibly cater to Booker too much, and I am coming up blank. It's good to let the young fellow know how much he is valued.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    Mainstreet likes this.
  6. Covert Rain

Covert Rain Father smelt of elderberries!

I think they should listen to any opinion Booker has but not necessarily let him have a say.

7. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

YEAH I’m fine with booker having an opinion, but let’s be honest, he was a one and done in college and he’s not an 8 year vet. He’ll he’s not even a 5 year vet. What does he know about good or bad coaches yet? His experience is so limited that it makes any “input” he has of very limited use.

8. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

I had written a response yesterday, but I guess I never posted it. I am fine with McD consulting Booker and saying so. He is just saying what everyone knows anyway. The next coach of this team has to mesh well with Devin Booker. Booker doesn't get to pick him, but if Booker is unhappy with the choice, it could be disastrous.

9. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

I'm fine with Booker being consulted in making coaching and personnel decisions. Booker is mature beyond his age particularly when it comes to basketball.

Although he is young, he is already the cornerstone of the Suns franchise. Also he may be helpful in recruiting players to add to the team. Players around the league already know and respect him.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    SirStefan32 likes this.