Evaluating Triano

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by JCSunsfan, Oct 24, 2017.

1. SirStefan32

SirStefan32 Krycek, Alex Krycek

This happens in more than sports. It's not uncommon for a business team to step up immediately when the leader is replaced, especially if that leader has really alienated the team. In this case, the positional leader and the peer-leader went bye-bye, and it appears nobody liked either one of them.

StreetTruckinTitan likes this.
  2. Ronin

Ronin Mad scientist behind the keyboard Contributor

3. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Small sample size sure, but man those numbers seem tell a compelling story . . .

4. elindholm

elindholm rehabilitated

What I can't understand is how the team's utter aimlessness under Watson -- which extends back a lot more than the first three games of this season -- was so obvious to many people on this board, but somehow invisible to either the front office or Watson himself.

Richie6059 likes this.
  5. BC867

BC867 Long time Phoenician! Contributor

The front office reports to the owner, an inexperienced out of town banker whose profession is living off other people's money.

And Watson? It was it what it was. He did what he was capable of doing.

I have wanted Bledsoe and Knight gone. But the front office evidently did not consider the consequences of benching their lead "Point Guard" with a good part of last season to go, then expecting good attitudes the following season.

An inexperienced owner. An inexperienced General Manager. An inexperienced Head Coach. Low investments for the owner.

Were it not for two of our first three games being complete blowouts and embarrassments, changes would not have been made after three games. The two blowouts have proven to be the best thing that ever happened to the Suns.

The season is young, but I look ahead and fear that if Triano decides he does not want the job permanently, next season will be SOS. 'Same ol' ****.

6. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

Small sample size, but Triano is doing a spectacular job right now.

Mainstreet and Ouchie-Z-Clown like this.
  7. 95pro

95pro Registered

Small sample size but the differential between all those stats is quite amazing

8. Poop Head

Poop Head Poster formerly known as kingdad

When I was at the Jazz game on the 25th I watched the Suns bench and body language was really good but it seemed like whoever was closest to the coaches was always talking with a coach or two and Triano himself seemed to give a lot of attention to Bender and Len in particular, whether it was in timeouts or they were by the bench.

9. Poop Head

Poop Head Poster formerly known as kingdad

A note on conditioning I've seen mentioned across the league was the shortened preseason which also included a shortened training camp. That gives players less time to get into game shape. Players stay in shape year round for the most part but game shape is something that they need actual games in order to maintain. With 5 less preseason games though and about a week cut off of training camp that changes when players will actually work their way into shape. At this point we should be seeing that, I suspect that is one of the reasons Warren has finally stepped up. He's been solid for the last week but looked lost at times early on, even under Triano.

10. Phrazbit

Phrazbit Registered

I really like Warren, but I do think his game is somewhat situation specific. If the mid range and post area is clogged then he isn't going to produce... at the same time he won't kill us because he isn't selfish. But still, against teams that have long defenders that rotate on the interior, I think he will not put up consistent scoring numbers until he develops a reliable 3pt shot.

At the same time... to over hype him, I feel like he provides everything Carmelo Anthony should. He rebounds well for his size, he hustles, he isn't selfish, he has a killer game within 16 feet. If OKC offered him for Melo straight up, I'd decline.

11. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

I get what you are saying about TJ being what Melo should be, but I would not take Melo for free.

gimpy likes this.
  12. Raze

Raze Registered

Jay has already done more coaching in 5 games than Earl did in his entire tenure. I love the energy and body language. They look like a winning team. I'm truly shocked.

13. Ronin

Ronin Mad scientist behind the keyboard Contributor

14. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

Yes! I'm still seeing a sweet corner 3 that Warren put there without hesitation the last game.

15. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

Yep. I don't want Warren becoming a three point gunner. 2 a game or so is just perfect, if they are open.