Evaluating Triano

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by JCSunsfan, Oct 24, 2017.

1. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

Thought I would start a thread that continues an evaluation of Jay Triano to determine whether the temporary designation should be just that or whether he deserves to be a head coaching candidate at the end of the year.

Just listened to an interview this morning. Here is what he said he did last night.

1. Put Chriss back into the starting line up because he thought they needed a more traditional sized team. They had put Jackson along with Warren in the starting line up before because Jackson had played so well in camp and preseason, but pitting him against 4's was not working. Both he and Warren are 3's.

2. He shortened his rotations, substituting freely and often. He asked the players to go all out when they are on the court and then he would sub for them so they could catch their breath. He did not want players trying to pace themselves so they don't get winded.

3. Said this team is not conditioned properly yet for the pace he wants to play. It will be difficult to get there with how fast the games come up on them. He might have to work them more in practice for now, knowing that they might be a bit spent in games.

masterphomeg likes this.
  2. masterphomeg

masterphomeg http://ronevansrealty.com

Sounds like he has a real plan.

3. masterphomeg

Also, to note...I noticed Chandler being way more engaged during timeout huddles. Looked like he was really embracing a mentor roll.

4. unseenaz

unseenaz Registered

Gambo (take it how you will) reported that Tyson was over Watson and his feel good lovey coaching. The crux of it all is when Watson told the team that ownership gave him 2 weeks to turn the season around and tried to run an 'us vs them' motto to the team. no one bought in.

So, if the above is true, i'm not surprised to see Tyson steeping up and being more into the games

5. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

It's 1 game. And it's 1 game after a huge shakeup, which is NEVER an indication of how things will go. The 2nd game will be a much more realistic gauge.

6. StreetTruckinTitan

StreetTruckinTitan Formerly NativeAZfan

The second game is way to soon also. They have a renewed energy and excitement. That will wane with losses.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  7. Dback Jon

Dback Jon Killer Snail Contributor

So was Watson running Triano's system, but not executing it the way it was intended to run?

8. TJ

TJ Buy the Hype

Triano may not be the future, but at least we're getting a taste of what organized basketball looks like instead of rolling a ball onto a court and saying, "go have fun, kids."

StreetTruckinTitan likes this.
  9. JCSunsfan

Of course its one game. That's why this thread should continue throughout the season. You take a look at exactly what happened in that game and then you see what else changes and what changes are sustainable.

10. JCSunsfan

That is certainly the way it looked. I think Dudley was in the same place.

11. AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy Magnanimous

Well it was 1 game, but the team didn't give up 130+ points, which was nice to see. The offense seemed more organized with ulis at the point...He's a much better distributor than Bledsoe, so all those contested 3's the suns live or die on are now only partially contested lol.

I haven't keyed too much on Jackson; how does everyone like/ dislike his game thus far?

12. elindholm

elindholm rehabilitated

What I want to see from Triano is that the team doesn't make the same mistakes over and over, with the same frequency. Last night, although they did a lot of things decently, there was obvious room for improvement. James jumps into traffic with no plan and turns the ball over. Len doesn't box out. Booker takes shots that are ego-driven rather than in the flow of the offense. When someone rotates from the weak side to provide help defense, no one drops down to block out the offensive player whose defender just left him. Those are just off the top of my head.

I assume Triano sees these things. If he can get the players to cut down on them, I'll be impressed.

13. az jam

az jam Registered User

Good thread. Was only one game but was sure a lot better. Triano off to a good start.

14. masterphomeg

Seems like it.

15. JCSunsfan

Looks to me like the players were just tuned out. Watson just talked too much.