Dragan Bender

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by pokerface, Apr 26, 2017.

Dragan Bender... Still glad we drafted him?

1. Yes I'm happy and want to give him more time.

30 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. No I'm not happy and I want him traded.

7 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. Unsure right now. Can't make a decision.

17 vote(s)
    31.5%
  1. SirStefan32

SirStefan32 Krycek, Alex Krycek

I am fine with his defense. Bigger guys can push him around a bit, but that will solve itself as he gets stronger. Outside of that, his defense is fine. Rebounding and FG%... I am right there with you.

2. leclerc

leclerc The smooth operator

For me I think it's fga. He has to be consistently more active on offense. I think that aggressiveness carries over on fg% and rebs. Keep it going, Dragan!

3. CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks Registered

This. I think his FG% naturally increases by taking more shots inside the arc (specifically around the basket). What hurts his FG% the most is that most of his field goal attempts are 3 pointers where he makes about 38%.

4. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

I loved that moment in the last highlight video where the big smile breaks out across Benders face after the made three. It looked like one of those moments where a teenage boy's body has grown enough to do something he had never done before. That smile that happens after you grab the rim for the first time, or dunk for the first time, or set a personal best on the bench press.

5. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Yes you nailed it. I was drawn to that image too and you perfectly summed up the feeling it gave me. Might be a seminal moment in his development.

6. 3rdside

3rdside Registered

7. Poop Head

Poop Head Poster formerly known as kingdad

I knew Bender is young but he's just the 14th youngest player in the league despite having a full season under his belt. Saw that mentioned in another article and did some searching and found this article which lists the 20 youngest players in the league this season. Bender is younger than most rookies this year. It's way too early to give up on him. He needs to be more aggressive but he is just 20 years old still.

https://classactsports.com/youngest-nba-players-2017-18-season/

8. Phrazbit

Phrazbit Registered

I never like when a player is invisible out there.

One of the reasons I didn't get slightly nervous about Jackson when he was playing like butt early in the year was because he was super active, you never were not aware Jackson was on the court, if anything he needed to slow down a little.

Bender... not so much. Way too passive.

9. SirStefan32

SirStefan32 Krycek, Alex Krycek

Agreed! Don't get me wrong, I am not ready to give up on Bender, but sometimes he is invisible for 3-4 games at a time.

10. Poop Head

Poop Head Poster formerly known as kingdad

Decided to look up where Bender was from, thinking perhaps a fellow countryman might help get him out of his shell and the Suns had 2 of them recently in Bogdan Bogdanovich and Mirza Teletovic, they're with the Kings and Bucks respectively. I wouldn't mind having Mirza over Dudley since he's a true stretch 4, while Dudley certainly is not. Maybe the Suns can make a run at Jusef Nurkic from Portland in the offseason, who is also from that region. All played with Bender on the Bosnian & Herzegovina national teams. Ivica Zubac (Lakers), Dario Saric (76ers), Mario Hezonja (Magic), and Ante Zivic (Cavaliers) are the other NBA players from that region.

I liked Nurkic as a target before learning he played with Bender, that's just an added bonus. He's been good in Portland and they're strapped for cash so he might be available. He's averaged 14.4 ppg and 9.0 rebounds in Portland the last year and a half. That's not great but it's not bad. I think it's more realistic that the Suns could sign him instead of Capela. I see the Rockets matching any offer for Capela but they may hesitate to match a max offer and I wouldn't want the Suns to be stuck paying him that much. Portland is right at the luxury tax line though and they might not be able to afford to keep him for more than $10 million annually. He's a big piece of them remaining a playoff team, they struggled last year before acquiring him at the trade deadline.

Posted that in the wrong thread before.

11. NashDishesDimes

NashDishesDimes Registered

Yeah my fear like most is he has all the gifts, just not might not have the right mindset. Its a shock for these guys to come overseas.

12. BC867

BC867 Long time Phoenician! Contributor

I realize there's a culture shock playing in a new country. But you'd think that, once they're on the court, their basketball instincts would kick in.

Unless European basketball is based upon non-competitive behavior. It is hard to believe that would be the case.

13. AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy Magnanimous

Bender is physically soft, and Chriss is mentally soft. Should call them the Charmin Bros.

14. Lefty

Lefty Registered

Trade him after this season.