Dog obedience question

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by Russ Smith, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

Girlfriends nephew just got back from Army in Italy with wife, 18 month old son and 2-3 year old Irish terrier. They lived in an apartment before so the dog is completely used to being inside, sleeps in their room, on the couches all the time etc. We were doing our best to deal with that but there's a huge issue everytime we all leave.

They have a dog carrier cage like for an airplane(it's how she got over here) and they put here in that in the garage and she goes nuts the whole time we're gone. If we get back before they do we have to let her out or she goes double nuts.

Today we ate lunch first, when I let her out she ran into the house before we realized she had peed all over the inside of the cage and had it all over her legs and feet. We quickly got her out but she won't let me try to clean her off. I hosed off the cage and right now I have this dog going nuts outside scratching up the sliding glass door. We rent the house.

They don't seem to grasp how crazy the dog is going, I texted them and they said it's ok she'll be fine just don't let her in. I'm actually afraid she's going to break the door. They eventually got the point but it'll be well over an hour between when they got the point and when they get here. I just steam mopped the wood floors but this obviously can't go on.

Is this a must take dog to obedience school issue or is this something they can work with the dog on their own? Right now it's a major issue, the dog is going to destroy the rental situation for us and they don't really have a plan B. I can't even get the dog back into the cage to keep her away from the door, she's so worked up I'm afraid she'll accidentally bite me, and remember I'm still rehabbing from knee surgery so I'm nowhere near normal strength.

I kind of suspect it's a dog obedience school issue because frankly I think a big part of the issue is they treat their dog so much like a human, that the dog is not the whole issue, they need to hear from dog experts what's actually reasonable and what's going to cause them problems. If they had the dog in an apartment or a another rental(we rent from my gf's sister) they might have already been evicted because of the dog.

This is about the 5th time since they got home (3 1/2 weeks ago) that they have left the dog alone for several hours, but this is by far the worst she's been so it's not a case where she's getting used to it. When we came home we felt bad not letting her out of the cage but once I did all hell broke loose, in hindsight leaving her in the cage would have been better but I didn't realize then she had peed all over it.

2. AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy Magnanimous

Is the dog actually kennel trained? Irish terrier's are typically very sociable with people, and have high energy, so they need to be walked regularly or taken to a dog park (depending on how well they get along with other dogs). Otherwise, all that pent up energy will typically turn in to destructive behavior. They require stern training, and are very reward based. When they do something you want them to do...reward them via a small treat and attention. The kennel should be their 'safe place', not where they go when there's any form of punishment. It sounds like the dog doesn't really know right from wrong yet, so she just needs someone who will be patient and consistent in training. Keep a stern voice...scold for bad behavior, and reward for good behavior. Terrier's aim to please, so they are great dogs when they know who's in charge. Be patient, and try spending as much time training as you can. Best of luck!

3. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

I don't think they ever took her for any training. She's a great dog but dogs can't train themselves and because she was living in apartment and often it was just her and the wife(before the kid was born) she's pretty convinced she's a person not a dog.

I love dogs but there do for me have to be some boundaries and it's tough to tell her that couch where the blanket is, is allowed, but the rest of the couch, or that other couch, is off limits. She's just never been treated that way before.

They did break off what they were doing yesterday to come home but I still don't think they quite realized until I showed them video of her hitting the sliding glass door hard enough the frame was bending in when she did it(went back everytime). And they of course could smell the pee on her so they knew I wasn't exaggerating.

I don't think the right solution is let's never all leave her alone in the carrier again, I think the right solution is probably they get some professional training, for the dog and for them. At some point they're going to be living on their own, with the dog, and even if they own the place, it's going to be a financial issue for them if the dog can't be left alone.

4. AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy Magnanimous

Sounds like the owners need to be trained more-so than the dog. High energy dogs like that require some know how...they literally 'want' to be trained, but if the owners don't know what they're doing...then the dog will be clueless.