DeFalco's Italian Deli and Grocery

Discussion in 'The Food Forum' started by Dback Jon, May 4, 2010.

1. 82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad 7 x 70

Jon - the Porchetta is my FAVORITE sandwich he makes!!!! It's awesome! The bread is perfect. The meat is amazingly flavorful and tender, and just warm enough! And it comes with a side salad of Arugula and baby cherry tomatoes that is so incredibly fresh that I swear the guy has a garden in back of the restaurant and picks this stuff when ordered!! Made with the highest quality extra virgin olive oil and exquisite balsamic vinegar!! Love it!!!

His fresh pastas are amazing as well Jon. I think by now I've had them all (though he seems to throw in a new concoction every now and then) and I've never had a bad experience... Everything is so fresh. So tasty... but yes, expensive... :(

2. Dback Jon

Dback Jon Killer Snail Contributor

OK - will have to try it :)

3. Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl Stand down Contributor

I don't like this "expensive" word that keeps popping up in this thread, lol.

Hey 82, ever been to Cascios on Scottsdale Road? Am wondering if it's any good.

4. 82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad 7 x 70

JG, I think you mean Lo Cascio's? If so, yes - I've been there twice (though I haven't been back in probably 2 years or so). Really good food. It's southern Italian (Sicily) style. Which I like, but I'm a northern Italian guy and prefer that sytle of Italian cuisine... I remember Lo Cascio's being very reasonable in terms of price as well.

The word "expensive" bugs me too... Seems that no matter where you go in Scottsdale, you're gonna pay!

5. Jersey Girl

Yeah, that's the place. They have a happy hour from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. I don't go out much anymore, but, when I do, it is only during happy hour time.

True, true.

6. Dback Jon

Was not real impressed with Lo Cascio's - and FAR too expensive - lot more expensive than DeFalco's

7. 82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad 7 x 70

Two totally different venues Jon... DeFalco's is not a restaurant. Lo Cascio's is a full sit-down venue. You should expect to pay more in a restaurant vs a deli.
    I think the quality of the food is better a DeFalco's vs Lo Cascio. And, as far as Italian restaurants go, I wouldn't even put Lo Cascio in my Top 5. And, like I said, I am a Northern Italian... Lo Cascio is Sicilian based which is normally not what I desire.

8. DeAnna

DeAnna Just A Face in The Crowd

Funny, I was at Andreoli's not too long ago.

In my quest for a great cannoli, someone told me about this place. They do have hot pasta dishes, but $26 for linguine in clam sauce? ouch ... I make a mean linguine in clam sauce so I was tempted to order just to compare but, instead, I got the porchetta sandwich. That day it was a bit on the salty side, but nicely seasoned with sage and pepper. Hubby got the proscuitto and tomato sandwich with pesto - also very good.

Oh, yes, the side bread they serve is fabulous (I saw the loaves and asked him if we were getting that bread!)

I didn't see any cannoli so I asked him and he said yes, they do have them so I got 2 for dessert - at $3.50 each but they were worth every penny! ... yum..

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  9. Dback Jon

DeFalco's for lunch - yum!!

10. 82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad 7 x 70

The prices are crazy high for sure Deanna... As I've said, it's not a place you would hit on a frequent basis. But, at least for me, it by far comes the closest to what I was born and bred on back home...

11. Jersey Girl

I wish DeFalcos opened earlier on Sundays. :(

12. Dback Jon

Bump for Bert

13. Bert

Bert Bandwagon ASU Basketball Fan

Awesome, yes, I have definitely been here. Thank you DJ! I remember now, it was a couple of years ago.

My only gripe was that they took FOREVER but man the food was good and their little shop is adorable! Completely worth the wait for fresh authentic Italian. I left with like 5 bags of groceries. And I told them it was my first time there and they gave me a free cannoli.

I was sent there by the lady who ran this cooking class I went to because they have canned tomatoes there that you cant get anywhere else. They really are good.

I have no idea why I have not been back. :(

14. Jersey Girl

BTW, Lo Cascio's closed a few weeks ago. :( Chris and I went there rather frequently. It was also a great place to take Chloe since it was pretty low key.

The owners retired and another restaurant/bar is gonna take its place.

15. Bert

Bert Bandwagon ASU Basketball Fan

You guys suck! I just noticed this thread and now I have to go to Defalcos for dinner. :)