Cousins prefer the Vikes?

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by GimmedaBall, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 Skeptical

A bidding war caps out at players perceived ability levels. None of the teams bidding on Cousins actually believes that he will be a top 5 QB in the NFL. That keeps the top end of the bidding down, and below the Jmmy GQ range. The 49ers believe they just signed the best QB in football in a couple of years.

2. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 Skeptical

1-Jimmy is getting on ton of money up front, because that is what would have happened if they franchised his and signed him next year. That is why his contract is front loaded.

2-Jimmy will turn 27 the first year of his deal and Cousins will turn 30. 30 is a big number when it comes to contracts. Cousins will be 35 at the end of his deal...Jimmy 32. Again, that is a big difference in terms of contracts.

3-QBs are about projection as much as sample size. Jimmy is believed to be a difference maker, despite his limited history. Cousins is doubted despite his impressive passing stats.

4-Yes, no team believes that Cousins will be a better QB than Jimmy. That is why Cousins will be paid less.

5-The Redskins are selling that Alex Smith brings more to their team than Cousins, and people in the media buy it. Rumors are that Belichick regrets having to keep Brady over Jimmy, and people are in the media buy it. Two very opposite viewpoints in terms of value.

oaken1, cardncubfan and daves like this.
  3. Gandhi

Gandhi Registered

I talked to a huge Vikings-fan yesterday, and he did not expect the Vikings to be big spenders in free agency. The reason is that they might need to use a lot of money to lock up some key pieces on their team, including offensive guard Joe Berger, offensive guard Nick Easton, offensive line swiss knife Jeremiah Sirles, defensive tackle Tom Johnson, linebacker Emmanuel Lamur and cornerback Terence Newman. Then there is the quarterback-situation where Sam Bradford, Teddy Bridgewater and Case Keenum all have expiring contracts, and some tough decision for the Vikings to make. You could also factor in that the players from their great draft class in 2015, cornerback Trae Waynes, linebacker Eric Kendricks, defensive end Danielle Hunter and wide receiver Stefon Diggs all scheduled to hit the open market after next season, so the Vikings might want to secure some of them for the long run. On top of that, linebacker Anthony Barr is beginning to talk about a long-term contract extension with his current deal running out after next season.

The Vikings are in great shape with their salary cap, and they could easily afford an expensive veteran quarterback, but at least according to my friend, they are more likely to use the money to lock up their own players.

4. NJCardFan

NJCardFan Registered

I'm glad that the Cards don't want to overpay for this slightly above average QB. If you're going to sling money, at least get a sure thing and Cousins ain't it. I'd rather take a flier on Bradford or Bridgewater and draft a QBOTF.

BIGDADDY_REDBIRD and oaken1 like this.
  5. sportznutt

sportznutt Canadian Card

Cousins to the Vikings makes them Super Bowl contenders.

6. NJCardFan

NJCardFan Registered

They were already Super Bowl contenders.

7. oaken1

oaken1 Stone Cold

well no...
    technically not... they were nfc championship contenders

technicality, I know.... can cousins take them a step further?? I dont think so

8. NJCardFan

NJCardFan Registered

If you're in the NFC Championship game, you're a Super Bowl contender.

Solar7 likes this.
  9. RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin Registered

That is a good argument.

Cousins would have to win a playoff game 1st to get to the Superbowl, something he has never done.

10. Cards Czar

Cards Czar The Bird is the Word

Here are the teams that pick ahead of us except Buffalo that need a QB. The Jets can a pay Cousins a ton of money and still have a bunch of cap space left.

Cleveland - 100.7 M Cap available

NYJets - 79.2 M Cap available

Minnesota - 53.3 M Cap available

Buffalo - 28.7 M Cap available

Denver - 25.9 M Cap available

11. TRW

TRW Registered

If Teddy's contract gets tolled then I think that they sign Keenum and keep the status quo.

12. moklerman

moklerman Rise from the Ashes III

If Cousins is really all about winning, then I agree that he'd be wise to choose the Vikings. I have serious doubts that that's what he's motivated by. If the Vikings were wise, they'd save all that money and re-distribute it throughout the stacked team they've already got and just go with a solid QB. If Keenum can take them to the NFCC then they should be able to find a replacement a LOT cheaper than Cousins.

I've already mentioned the Defillipo/Foles connection. What would the Vikings be like with Foles?

13. WildBB

WildBB BB - BIG BIRD

You can add Washington to the list. Is Minnesota picking ahead of us?

14. DVontel

DVontel Registered

Why would Washington be on the list when they just extended Alex Smith for 4 years?

15. LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse Chad's got nothing on me!

He's still getting old and the team did draft RGIII and KC in the same draft.

Failing to plan is planning to fail.